[POLL] are there more EUR or NA Heroquesters?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Wich version of Heroquest do you play with?

European version
38%
North American Version
63%

Total votes : 32

Re: [POLL] are there more EUR or NA Heroquesters?

Postby Anderas » Saturday November 2nd, 2019 2:07pm

Everything is better in EU except for the monster BP. So I use monster BP from US and EU style house rules.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Postby wallydubbs » Saturday November 2nd, 2019 3:06pm

That's true for the most part... but chaos spells in the US version is also an improvement, although in some situations the rules could get a little foggy.
wallydubbs

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby Jalapenotrellis » Saturday November 2nd, 2019 9:51pm

How exactly are the EU rules better? I haven't read them
Jalapenotrellis

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:

Postby wallydubbs » Saturday November 2nd, 2019 9:59pm

Search for traps and secret doors are done in the same action. There's more variety in the Treasure deck, and items cannot be sold back to the armory without a Potion of Alchemy.

Also once you buy a mercenary you only need to pay him 10 gold to keep him, unlike Frozen Horror, where you need to pay for him all over again.
wallydubbs

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Postby Jalapenotrellis » Saturday November 2nd, 2019 10:01pm

So what creates the scarcity of money because you can't sell items back. The search seems like it makes it easier. I also know y'all can only have one item of each type when it comes to equipment I think.
Jalapenotrellis

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:

Postby Pancho » Sunday November 3rd, 2019 3:45am

This thread might be useful (comparison of UK and NA rules).

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2721&p=48343&hilit=Comparison+EU+UK#p48343

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » Sunday November 3rd, 2019 4:28am

I guess after reading the first post in that thread, I'm not quite sure why one would think the EU rules are better. I do think that it is odd that pass through rock specifies you can land in solid rock but also allows in the NA version that you can backtrack.
Jalapenotrellis

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:

Postby wallydubbs » Sunday November 3rd, 2019 6:12am

It's true that the European edition comes with 2 helmet and shield equipment cards, but it's never specified in the rulebook that you can only buy whatever cards are in stock.
Generally the gameplay allows a hero to draw a random equipment card when he comes across a weapons rack, this could be the purpose of the multiple cards, since limited items aren't specified.
The equipment also includes more defense equipment for the Wizard, such as Brancers and Cloak of Protection, albeit certain artifacts are not included in the game (Wizards Cloak & Wizards Staff). There's also a Spear in the equipment deck and the the stats of the Staff give the hero 2 attack dice, as opposed to 1 in the US version. In like manner the EU Talisman of Lore grants its wearer 2 Mind points, not just 1.

I also forgot to meantion the fundamental difference in disarming traps. The Dwarf automatically disarms any traps he finds just for searching for them. The other heroes require a tool kit, but they still have a 50-50 shot at taking damage.

Also I'm not sure, but I don't think Borin's Armor has the "Cannot be worn by the Wizard" note. The armor grants its wearer 4 defense dice, but there's no explanation for it being a form of Plate Mail or even if a Helmet can be applied to it as well.
wallydubbs

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Postby lestodante » Sunday November 3rd, 2019 10:28am

wallydubbs wrote:...It's true that the European edition comes with 2 helmet and shield equipment cards, but it's never specified in the rulebook that you can only buy whatever cards are in stock....
...The equipment also includes more defense equipment for the Wizard, such as Brancers and Cloak of Protection, albeit certain artifacts are not included in the game (Wizards Cloak & Wizards Staff).
...Also I'm not sure, but I don't think Borin's Armor has the "Cannot be worn by the Wizard" note.

Only 1st version of European version includes 2 shields and 2 helmets. They were later replaced by the Bracers and the Protective Cloak.
Borin's Armor in EUR version doesn't sepcify any restrictions of its use.

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Ogre
Ogre

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Sunday November 3rd, 2019 12:03pm

lestodante wrote:Only 1st version of European version includes 2 shields and 2 helmets. They were later replaced by the Bracers and the Protective Cloak.
Borin's Armor in EUR version doesn't sepcify any restrictions of its use.

Oh, thank you for clarifying. I don't own the 2nd European edition, only the North American and First European (Dark Company).
wallydubbs

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion