• Advertisement

Ye Olde Inn is proudly hosted by

Proudly Hosted by MDD Hosting

Host your Website at MDD Hosting by clicking the logo above and Ye Olde Inn will receive a commission that we'll put toward keeping Ye Olde Inn online for everyone to enjoy!

[POLL] are there more EUR or NA Heroquesters?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Wich version of Heroquest do you play with?

European version
38%
North American Version
63%

Total votes : 32

Re: [POLL] are there more EUR or NA Heroquesters?

Postby Jalapenotrellis » Friday September 6th, 2019 1:47pm

I play NA and am playing it for the first time with a group. We are on quest 13 and have all the NA quest packs and the two Euro ones. I'm trying to play by the rule book.
Jalapenotrellis

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby cornixt » Friday September 6th, 2019 2:13pm

My set is cobbled together bits and pieces. I grew up on the UK version but have implemented most of the US rules so it is probably closer to the NA version. I definitely prefer the UK quest appearance, it might be b/w but that's okay, the US ones look nasty with the cheap clashing colouring.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » Friday September 6th, 2019 5:01pm

wallydubbs wrote:
Pancho wrote: I’m also a really big fan of the US expansions. I know that they need a bit of work on the part of the GM, but to be honest that’s true of the UK expansions too.

I understand the American expansions ramped up the difficulty and the lack of playtesting makes it virtually impossible unless editing the rules.

But in the European expansions, the only thing wrong with Against the Ogre Horde is that body points don't recycle after each quest and playing Dominate in the Pit of Chaos.
I also found Wizards of Morcar too easy. Is it just me or does anybody else feel the same way?

It’s true that the US expansions need more work than the EU ones, but all of them need something extra from the GM. Ogres is probably the most polished.
We found WOM pretty difficult when we were kids, especially the final quest with all the Wizards together!! That ones a real Hero killer if Morcar wants to play nasty.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » Saturday September 7th, 2019 3:05am

Pancho wrote:We found WOM pretty difficult when we were kids, especially the final quest with all the Wizards together!! That ones a real Hero killer if Morcar wants to play nasty.

Yeah, when I did my own personal remake of this I just took that last quest out.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » Saturday September 7th, 2019 3:25am

Personally, I'm looking forward to someone dying as the evil Zargon. Why would you take that out? After a while, the heroes know to search properly and are decked out and goblins and skeletons are *hero sneeze* oh not there anymore! Zargon needs something so they don't get too cocky.
Jalapenotrellis

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:

Postby Pancho » Saturday September 7th, 2019 3:44am

Jalapenotrellis wrote:Personally, I'm looking forward to someone dying as the evil Zargon. Why would you take that out? After a while, the heroes know to search properly and are decked out and goblins and skeletons are *hero sneeze* oh not there anymore! Zargon needs something so they don't get too cocky.

Agreed.
I’ve tweaked a lot of quests but the only one I’ve actually taken out is the Castle of Mystery. Does my head in that one.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » Saturday September 7th, 2019 3:58am

I played Castle of Mystery recently for the first time. If I were to do it again, monsters would be using the teleport, and I didn't realize it was teleport once per turn. My guys were beaming everywhere.
Jalapenotrellis

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:

Postby wallydubbs » Saturday September 7th, 2019 7:48am

Castle of Mystery can be a bit much, but it's a good way to throw the heroes off of their element. In one of my groups the heroes tend to stay together, but in this one they have no choice and will most likely split up. It's a good way to see how the heroes can venture on their own.
Although the rules aren't particularly clear on weather the heroes can continue moving after teleporting, I've house ruled it that a white dice gets rolled as well upon teleporting, if it's equal to or less then the heroes mind points they may continue with their movement and/or action phase.
However this quest can take a while to get out of, but once a monster has been put on the board it can start teleporting as well. Of course, once all the monsters are defeated the quest ends anyway.
wallydubbs

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Postby The Admiral » Saturday September 7th, 2019 11:33am

It's been almost 30 years since I last played castle of mystery so I had a look at the notes. Like a lot of things in HQ it's open to interpretation, and here is mine:
1) I would say only Heroes are allowed through the doors, although monsters may be transported by being landed on and still being alive.
2) I would say a Hero would only stop moving if they landed on another Hero/monster, otherwise they can continue.
Like I say,this is just how I would play it.. I'm not saying it's right.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » Friday November 1st, 2019 1:30pm

Jalapenotrellis wrote:Personally, I'm looking forward to someone dying as the evil Zargon. Why would you take that out? After a while, the heroes know to search properly and are decked out and goblins and skeletons are *hero sneeze* oh not there anymore! Zargon needs something so they don't get too cocky.

Sorry, just seen this. I've no qualms about killing Heroes, it's just that this is not really a quest. Proper searching plays no part in this. I also didn't like the fact that having fought hard to kill the four evil wizards they all just popped back to life again. This sort of quest isn't a bad idea, and if well done could be interesting, with doors suddenly opening and monsters rushing out, but the whole board quickly activated just seemed silly to me and I didn't like it. It just felt as if it was hurriedly added on at the end.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion