• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Sir Ragnar or Sir Manfred?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Sir Ragnar or Sir Manfred?

Postby Tott » January 14th, 2019, 9:21 am

is Ragnar (or a similar sounding word) offensive in italian?
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby clmckay » January 14th, 2019, 11:25 am

I wondered that too. It seems like generally there's a historical or linguistic reason for changing the name. I would expect a change in Japanese for that reason but Italian surprised me a bit. Perhaps it just doesn't "flow" when interjected into a sentence or makes a sound not often heard in the language.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 14th, 2019, 1:56 pm

clmckay wrote:I wondered that too. It seems like generally there's a historical or linguistic reason for changing the name. I would expect a change in Japanese for that reason but Italian surprised me a bit. Perhaps it just doesn't "flow" when interjected into a sentence or makes a sound not often heard in the language.

I would bet my first ball it's about the Empire basically utilizing German names for locations and people and the translator's willingness to keep the connections to Warhammer. Italians tend to have more cultural clue than Brits and probably changed Ragnar (Nordic) to Manfred (outright German). We Germans did not do that. I'll bet my second ball on the reason being that we wanted to keep the background Fantasy, which is the reason why you can't just give the setting and people names from your own first language. It was still worth it because there was no other German sounding name transferred to HeroQuest from the Old World.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » January 14th, 2019, 2:24 pm

The "GN" letters in the centre of Ragnar in Italian are prononced as you will pronunce in spanish Rañar, so it will not sound as a German name (I guess in german it should sounds something like RaKnar).
Also found in Greek it is Ράγχναϱ so it sounds more like Ragnar too (according to Google translator pronunce).

Maurice76 wrote:you could check the various quest books that can be found on the main site here, since they are available in like 11 different languages.

Not all languages are available unfortunately, many are missing resources. And in Greek I don't understand how to pronunce it.

Tott wrote:is Ragnar (or a similar sounding word) offensive in italian?

It doesn't sound even a strange name, maybe the only similarity is with the word RAGNO, wich means SPIDER.

Nicodemus wrote:Is there a PDF copy of the Italian Questbook floating around with the painting guide in it?

The painting guide I was referring to is just a small paragraph that you can see on the rear cover of the questbook in each languages, but in Italy they removed Mike McVey's reference.
It start directly with: "to paint miniatures:"
20190114_191803.jpg
20190114_192405.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » January 16th, 2019, 9:40 am

The Quest description of Quest 2 claims Ragnar is one of the Emperor's most powerful knights; most likely this is just an adjective to showcase the knight. We're not really given much to go on in regards to him.

It's my belief, however, that the name was adopted from the Legendary Norse Viking Hero, Ragnar Lodbrok, also known as Ragnar Shaggy Breeches. He features in many 9th Century Poems, featuring in raids over France and Britain. Much like Robin Hood, nobody knows for certain if this Ragnar Lodbrok ever really existed.

Manfred, also the name of a poem that comes out of England, is about a man tormented by supernatural entities. Had the poem originated in Italy I'd be more readily accepting as the reason for the change.

There were, however, 5 generations of Manfred's that ruled over the county of Saluzzo from 1125 - 1342. This was during a time when being an ordained Knight was a pretty big deal. That's the only important Manfred name I can find in regards to Italy... unless you count Fredrick II's illegitimate son, Manfred, who was named Vicar of Italy before being crowned King of Sicily.

On further note, I looked up the names of both Ragnar and Manfred in the Urban dictionary of names (not that it has any relevance) and found:
Ragnar- "freakin' awesome"
Manfred- "Man of peace"
Take from this what you will, but I'm pretty sure it's not important...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » January 17th, 2019, 11:40 am

wallydubbs wrote:Take from this what you will, but I'm pretty sure it's not important...

Yet you researched it for awhile to get that much information on the subject.

I've done some research on Ragnar myself in the past and found some interesting stuff. But like you said, no one knows for certain.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » January 17th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Thor-in wrote:Yet you researched it for awhile to get that much information on the subject.

I've done some research on Ragnar myself in the past and found some interesting stuff. But like you said, no one knows for certain.

Well research is something I'm generally good at. But there's no positive nationalistic explanation; for all we know, the guy responsible for the translation from English to Italian had an uncle named Manfred who recently died, and he managed to slip in a little namesake momento into the game. I wouldn't be surprised by humanistic explanation...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » January 17th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Very interesting... maybe they really decided to use an epic name that could sound more common in Italy (but anyway he is Manfredi, with a final "i" and they changed in Manfred to make it not too obvious or too much italian).

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » January 17th, 2019, 4:26 pm

wallydubbs wrote:
Well research is something I'm generally good at. But there's no positive nationalistic explanation; for all we know, the guy responsible for the translation from English to Italian had an uncle named Manfred who recently died, and he managed to slip in a little namesake momento into the game. I wouldn't be surprised by humanistic explanation...

I have always enjoyed the vast world of knowledge, the joy of learning something new. History was one class in school I never had a problem passing because I found it fascinating. To bad real life archaeology isn't anything like Indiana Jones.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 18th, 2019, 3:55 am

arcaeology isn't like science either, unfortunately....
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems