• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

which ogre stats do you use?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

which ogre stats do you use?

Postby DullandRusty » October 25th, 2018, 12:19 am

hey all, incorporating ogres into our quest. just curious what stats you all use for them. the mage in the mirror and drathe's ogres from the ogre hoard are significantly different in stats. do you all have a preference or do you use other stats for the ogre?
DullandRusty

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: which ogre stats do you use?

Postby Anderas » October 25th, 2018, 5:58 am

The original Ogres have variable Body Points.

The Mage of the Mirror introduces one with 10BP, but that's a special and should be treated like any special: If you like it, use it somewhere but don't introduce it as standard.

Phoenix made some reasonable stats in his quest book. I use them also on my Ogre Monster Card.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » October 25th, 2018, 12:28 pm

I use the Ogre Horde stats, but not with variable body points. A standard Ogre has 4 Body Points.

The Elf Quest ogre is a beast, but there is only one occasion where more than 1 is encountered, whereas in Ogre Horde they are encountered far more frequently, and often together. I see the Elf quest stats as a super Ogre, that I call a Giant Ogre, for which I use the Ogre figure from Battlemasters.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » October 25th, 2018, 1:11 pm

J_dean80's Summons of the Wizard's Council turns Wizards of Morcar into a full Wizard Quest Pack by adding several other quests. it also updates some of the other quest packs to put some of the Wizards of Morcar quests with Zargon's Lieutenants into other earlier quest packs and includes a timeline.

He included with it a brief Conclusion page for Against the Ogre Horde that addresses the discrepancy in Ogre stats by having Zargon make any remaining ogres more powerful so they can assist Sinestra in the Elven Kingdom.

I use this in my game since it fits so well and adds to the story and continuity.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » October 25th, 2018, 8:36 pm

Spookyhappyfun wrote:J_dean80's Summons of the Wizard's Council turns Wizards of Morcar into a full Wizard Quest Pack by adding several other quests. it also updates some of the other quest packs to put some of the Wizards of Morcar quests with Zargon's Lieutenants into other earlier quest packs and includes a timeline.

He included with it a brief Conclusion page for Against the Ogre Horde that addresses the discrepancy in Ogre stats by having Zargon make any remaining ogres more powerful so they can assist Sinestra in the Elven Kingdom.

I use this in my game since it fits so well and adds to the story and continuity.

Thanks for the plug. |_P
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » October 25th, 2018, 11:06 pm

j_dean80 wrote:Thanks for the plug. |_P

Always! I may make a few changes to it when I play it (as I do with everything), but it's one of my favorite fan-made quest packs!

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » December 3rd, 2018, 7:41 am

It's preferable to use the Ogre stats from Against the Ogre Hoard.

Mage of the Mirror was never playtested and pulling off a 4-hero run through the quest pack is highly unlikely considering the body points of an Ogre and Giant Wolf.

You've been warned.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » May 16th, 2021, 3:44 pm

I recall it being said that many of the Elf spells cripple the EQP Ogre (and other EQP monsters) nicely, so if they are selected, the Elf can shine and even the odds. But yeah, it's a tough pack.

More opinions about Ogre stats are blocking everything at Ogre body Points.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » May 16th, 2021, 7:12 pm

I consider the Against the Ogre Horde the official questpack for the Ogres, so I am fine with their variable body points, although I don't like some have only 1 BP.
10 BP (in the EQP) is too much in my opinion, I would only allow a rare magic creature like a Gargoyle (which is made of stone) to have up to 10 BP.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » May 17th, 2021, 4:18 am

lestodante wrote:I consider the Against the Ogre Horde the official questpack for the Ogres, so I am fine with their variable body points, although I don't like some have only 1 BP.
10 BP (in the EQP) is too much in my opinion, I would only allow a rare magic creature like a Gargoyle (which is made of stone) to have up to 10 BP.

To be fair to the EQP, the Ogres are only encountered very infrequently and there is only more than one (two) on one occasion, which makes it odd that you get four in the box? I think they were just using the existing moulds. The BQP used the Henchmen from the Advanced HQ edition (not AHQ). It is for this reason that I believe the US WQP would have had the four wizards from WoM.

I sometimes use the huge Ogre figure from Battlemasters and give that the EQP stats. My Ogres generally us the AtOH stats with 4BP's.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion