• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Favorite Quest Packs?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Favorite Quest Packs?

Postby j_dean80 » Saturday August 25th, 2018 5:42pm

What are some of your favorite Quest Packs played (or a single Quest)?

Original or user-created.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Ye Olde Inn is proudly hosted by

Proudly Hosted by MDD Hosting

Host your Website at MDD Hosting by clicking the logo above and Ye Olde Inn will receive a commission that we'll put toward keeping Ye Olde Inn online for everyone to enjoy!

Re: Favorite Quest Packs?

Postby lestodante » Monday August 27th, 2018 10:13am

My favourite quest-pack is Wizards of Morcar... not just the pack itself because it is probably the one with most defects, but because it is the only one that expands the Wizard's abilities (or at least try to).
Also, the blue box attire me and the cover art is great too and I like the 4 evil wizards a lot, especially the High Mage and the Necromancer, but just think the Orc Shaman should be bigger (he's so tiny) and its face features a style that is a bit different from the standard orcs.
So, unless you meant the favourite to play, WOM is my choice from the official releases.

From the unofficial, I liked a lot the Attack on the Sleep-Wizard questpack, from Dragao Brazil 8.
That is why I started to translate it and I appreciated it so much. It is nothing really special, but I liked some ideas the author put inside.

Generally I do not like homemade quespack when they add too much stuff (lot of new cards, lot of new tiles, lot of new monsters...); I like the kind of questpack that follows the standard rues and when it adds few things, but good ones. If you add too much things at once it becomes another game.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » Monday August 27th, 2018 10:39am

Difficult. I actually don't think the official ones are as good as some of the fan quests I've played recently. Probably because fan based designs are not so restricted by components.

Favourite official = Frozen Horror. For me it was by far the best.

Unofficial = Heralds of Chaos. I have played some really great ones, and have many more to play, but this stands out for me. Keep em coming everyone!
The Admiral

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Monday August 27th, 2018 10:47pm

I like Goblin King's and Whitebeards Quests.

They are labyrinthine, creative, difficult.

Whitebeard's Dungeons Dark

Goblin King's Mirror Maze

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Tuesday August 28th, 2018 3:26pm

A Quest that comes to mind is A Coasting Quest that Sotiris made for the Play-by-Post Game Room. I only read the posts, but that was a fun ride!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » Wednesday August 29th, 2018 8:44pm

I haven't played through a lot of Quests or Packs but a single Quest I enjoyed was "Plague of Zombies". The monsters coming back as "Undead" to fight again was a nice twist.

The purpose of this thread is to see which ones everyone likes and get those in the que list.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » Thursday August 30th, 2018 3:21am

I also like some of yours, but I assume you don't want to see your own quests advertised to you? :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » Thursday August 30th, 2018 6:36am

Anderas wrote:I also like some of yours, but I assume you don't want to see your own quests advertised to you? :)

No one minds seeing their own works come up on a favorite list...

Mine are already in my que but this list is for anyone interested and not just myself.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Pancho » Thursday August 30th, 2018 8:03am

My favourite quest pack is still the original game system. It's what got me hooked, the quests are still awesome and the overarching story is subtle but better than some give it credit for.
I like all the expansions as well but the original quests are to my mind the only ones that don't need substantial work on the GMs part to improve/make them work. The originals benefit from the rules revisions that we often talk about here, but that's a different thing from the quests themselves.
I consider RotWL to have the best villain, MotM to have the most magical setting, KK to have the most "heroic" goal, WOM to have the best rules & items additions, and ATOH and FH to have the best new monsters.

Of the other official stuff I really like Running the Guantlet and Eyes of Chaos.

When it comes to fan made stuff I particularly like Karak-8-peaks, some of the quests from Chaos Unleashed and Dungeons Dark, Mound of the Beastmen by Pan, Solace & Redemption by Road Warrior, JDean's quest where the heroes battle their own subconscious selves, the Minds Eye by drathe, Ethicas stuff with the Jorgunmander, and Goblin Kings quest where the monsters attack Merkels castle. I haven't played all these and ther are lots of others I should also include but can't think of off the top of my head.

Edit; the quests with the Spectral Knight and Alekai the Omniscient are also great, I just can't remember who made them right now.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » Thursday August 30th, 2018 10:26am

well the first original questbook has the advantage that the quests are not all connected each others, but just some, like the last 3.
Occasionally they refer to a previous quest or boss, but it is not really connected to a previous one. This make the stories more different I think, while in other questpacks the authors try to link ALL the quests in a logical way.
I will try to take this in mind when I will write my first complete questpack!!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion