• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Searching for treasure ... US vs. EU

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Searching for treasure ... US vs. EU

Postby Maurice76 » June 29th, 2018, 8:30 am

Gold Bearer wrote:Why don't just double/treble/quadruple the reward GPs :?:

And double/triple/quadruple the hazard cards too? :P . Imagine, quadrupling the Wandering Monsters when that card is drawn :twisted: .

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Gold Bearer » June 29th, 2018, 11:48 am

Maurice76 wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:Why don't just double/treble/quadruple the reward GPs :?:
And double/triple/quadruple the hazard cards too? :P . Imagine, quadrupling the Wandering Monsters when that card is drawn :twisted: .
No I mean the reward for completing quests and/or the quest note GPs in the quests, not the treasure cards.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 1st, 2018, 1:05 am

Daedalus wrote:. . . Previously mentioned furniture searching is a nice mod. Another option is to instead allow one search per room as a default, but to also allow an extra search--up to four--to be allowed for each defeated monster. This way more dangerous rooms potentially provide greater rewards, but searches will sometimes be limited to than less than four per room.

Me likes a comparison table, so I've added in the above mod. I used the EU Quests for the comparison. It comes in a bit higher than the room size/weighted mod--there's an extra search or two per Quest. I feel that's fine when NA monster Body Points are used as those tougher monsters should come with faster gear upgrades anyway.

Questbook 1: The Gathering Storm Europe America Furniture Weighted Monsters
Quest 1: The Rescue of Sir Ragnar 18 40 16 21 19
Quest 2: Prince Magnus' Gold 20 40 14 20 21
Quest 3: Lair of the Orc Warlord 11 36 15 18 20
Quest 4: Melar's Maze 21 40 17 22 19
Quest 5: Castle of Mystery 10 40 10 23 27
Quest 6: Race Against Time 18 52 18 26 28
Quest 7: The Stone Hunter 17 40 15 22 18
Quest 8: Legacy of the Orc Warlord 19 32 13 16 19
Quest 9: The Fire Mage 26 48 17 26 23
Quest 10: The Bastion of Chaos 25 52 22 28 31
Quest 11: The Trial 19 44 25 26 34
Quest 12: Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord 27 40 14 19 21
Quest 13: Quest for the Spirit Blade 20 40 13 20 22
Quest 14: Return to Barak Tor 23 40 12 18 24
Questbook total 274 584 221 305 326
Questbook 2: Kellar's Keep Europe America Furniture Weighted Monsters
Quest 1: The Great Gate 19 28 14 18 19
Quest 2: The Warrior Halls 18 36 10 18 19
Quest 3: The Spiral Passage 20 36 12 16 27
Quest 4: The Dwarven Forge 24 40 21 21 21
Quest 5: Hall of the Dwarven Kings 14 12 7 10 8
Quest 6: The Great Citadel 23 56 26 32 38
Quest 7: The Eastern Passage 22 40 15 21 26
Quest 8: Belorn's Mine 18 24 10 8 15
Quest 9: The East Gate 15 36 16 22 25
Quest 10: Grin's Crag 20 40 15 22 25
Questbook total 193 348 146 188 223
Questbook 3: Return of the Witch Lord Europe America Furniture Weighted Monsters
Quest 1: The Gate of Doom 24 40 15 21 30
Quest 2: The Cold Halls 18 44 14 24 23
Quest 3: The Silent Passages 19 52 18 23 32
Quest 4: The Halls of Vision 23 40 12 20 16
Quest 5: The Gate of Bellthor 25 40 15 24 22
Quest 6: The Halls of the Dead 27 52 16 28 26
Quest 7: The Forgotten Legion 29 44 11 24 15
Quest 8: The Forbidden City 29 60 19 33 24
Quest 9: The Last Gate 24 44 19 24 33
Quest 10: The Court of the Witch Lord 25 44 13 22 24
Questbook total 243 460 152 243 245
Totals Europe America Furniture Weighted Monsters
710 1392 519 736 794
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » July 1st, 2018, 6:44 am

Daedalus wrote:Me likes a comparison table, so I've added in the above mod. I used the EU Quests for the comparison. It comes in a bit higher than the room size/weighted mod--there's an extra search or two per Quest. I feel that's fine when NA monster Body Points are used as those tougher monsters should come with faster gear upgrades anyway.

Hey, that's actually a nice idea as well. Basically, it becomes a slight bit like hack & slash games like Diablo, where all monsters can drop loot. After defeating the baddies in a room, the players can do a "full body search" of the slain enemies so to speak. The only weird part would then be triggering a trap while doing so :P. But I like this idea better than my weighted idea, anyway.

Hmm, coming to think of it: would a defeated Wandering Monster allow for another body search? :P

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 1st, 2018, 10:48 am

Credit Chaotic Prime, an old Inn member, with the basic idea of one search per Monster. I merely recognized it's worth and added in the four-search cap. The table is a great way to evaluate how the treasure-drop measures up. Thanks for that.

If you want to track extra treasure searches, place a skull tile where a monster is killed, up to three times in a room. After the first search for treasure allowed for any room, M/Z removes a skull tile whenever another Hero searches the same room for treasure again. Heroes may only make extra searches for treasure in a room that contains a skull tile.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » July 1st, 2018, 6:19 pm

I actually plan to use skull symbols as trap markers (traps that are detected, but not yet removed or triggered).

Anyway, I will discuss what my player group wants to use. I can decide what I like, but if my friends all disagree with it, I am going to have a hard time to sell that decision to them. And in the end, it's about having fun, not getting frustrated about some weird ruling - whether original or my own :P.

Rewards:
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » July 1st, 2018, 7:46 pm

Maurice76 wrote:I actually plan to use skull symbols as trap markers (traps that are detected, but not yet removed or triggered).

Anyway, I will discuss what my player group wants to use. I can decide what I like, but if my friends all disagree with it, I am going to have a hard time to sell that decision to them. And in the end, it's about having fun, not getting frustrated about some weird ruling - whether original or my own :P.

I would be against marking traps. It is up to the Heroes to remember or use an Action to ask again.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » July 1st, 2018, 10:01 pm

Instead of treasure searches for monsters, the idea i liked was to include a bounty hunter in with the merc, men at arms deck. The bounty hunter would earn you gold for kills, specific to the class he hunts. Teeth for orcs, orbs for chaos warriors etc!

I actually plan to use skull symbols as trap markers (traps that are detected, but not yet removed or triggered).

If they have the explorers kit yes, it's in my armoury. This represents Heroes making a little map for reminders. Spear traps are removed anyways so it's falling rocks and pits only. Pits once discovered, triggered can't be removed, hence the ROPE! If you search for traps and you have the tool kit, 1 trap is auto removed, the rest would be marked. If you want to remove another, simply do another trap search. It is worded in the UK ed, "remove any traps that you find" simple and perfect. No need to be adjacent, you're simply disarming the mechanisms or what ever... which can still harm you, hence "on the roll of a skull the trap goes off and you lose 1 body point". You're not in the pit and the pit is still removed (the text ending the card). Same for if this is a falling rock, it's not 3 hits, you're not under it, it's 1bp. Starting with disarm traps skill (the dwarf) doesn't have to roll, picking this skill at the start is the permanent advantage over the tool kit to follow you through the entire game. Having the trap removed, even if you roll a skull is what makes the tool kit worth while over the roll of simply jumping it.

I'm even allowing the tool kit as a roll on treasure cards, it is expensive and no one really buys it. It does say any trap you find, twist the words there. Which the dwarf doesn't have by default, so now he might be tempted to buy 1 too.

2MP Skill
DISABLE TRAPS: Disable a trap you find during your trap search.

ARMOURY
Explorers Kit: 50gc Found unsprung traps are placed face down on the board.
Rope: 200gc Enter or exit a sprung pit trap. Climb: -1 move d6
Tool Kit: 250gc Remove a trap you find during your search // Roll 1Cd6 Skull: -1 Body Point. Shield: Safe. Black Shield: Damaged lose kit.
Torch: 100gc Can reroll 1 move d6. Dies if same result. Mummy -1 Cd6

I also recently figure out how to include a torch mechanic, illuminating the darkness, with out too much complication. As double 1's are HAZARD, this can be quite useful. Which added a Thug to the INN, men for hire, A torch carrier.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby girot » August 15th, 2018, 12:42 am

mitchiemasha wrote:There's only 1 way to do this. Each room is limited to 1 Treasure search plus however items of furniture are in the room.

This is how my kids and I do it. One for the room itself, one for each piece of furniture.
girot

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups: .
Champion Group Member

Postby DullandRusty » August 15th, 2018, 12:53 am

Maurice76 wrote: So far, I haven't found anything that is reasonably affordable, given the low quantity of cards.

check out thegamecrafter.com it is super cheap. us game cards cost $1.66 for 18 cards. you make a deck of 60 and you are looking under 6 bucks.
DullandRusty

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion