• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Differences in ARTWORK

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Differences in ARTWORK

Postby aaronAGN » May 23rd, 2018, 12:06 pm

Why is that? Licensing issues with Les Edwards? Or something else? Why the cropped art vs the full layout?
Interesting differences in the art nonetheless.
Let's look and discuss.

KELLAR'S KEEP

American

European

RETURN OF THE WITCH LORD

American

European

aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Differences in ARTWORK

Postby TMU » May 23rd, 2018, 12:26 pm

I believe these were discussed on some other topic, can't really remember what the solution was though. :| I think it was because US version wanted to have it diagonally where as the UK artwork was lengthwise. Maybe it was just easier to use one artist for UK and one artist for US versions.

But as said, can't say for sure :P
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » May 23rd, 2018, 12:49 pm

This has bugged me since the first time it was pointed out to me. If there's another thread about this I'd love to know.

With RotWL, it almost looks like the same artwork, just cropped differently and with some minor changes, like what would happen if an editor said it needed some different colors.

But Kellar's is like a very simliar but different piece of art entirely. Very curious.
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » May 23rd, 2018, 4:58 pm

A theory...

Obviously the American KK artwork is technically vastly inferior and made by another artist.
My bet is that for unknown reasons someone decided to turn the original American cover 90 degrees. This was not a problem at that time as the original box had horizontal art. Made sense to use the entire Les Edwards painting.
Then came the next two expansions. They had a different box with vertical artwork. As they didn't want to change the look and layout of the American quest books, and they couldn't really use the box art, they had to commission a second horizontal cover by another (cheaper) artist.

But it's just a theory... a GAME theory!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » May 23rd, 2018, 7:56 pm

Maybe just maybe.....

Some of us Americans insist on being difficult and half butt backwards that we would rather read a game box up and down instead of left to right like normal people.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » May 23rd, 2018, 11:12 pm

I think both have different art. On the RotWL art look at the elf and the skeleton holding them. They're different. Look at the symbols on the rim around the opening under the dias, they're different. That monsters hand is different...several small things.

Maybe photoshop of the day could have done it, but it seems unlikely...

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » May 25th, 2018, 10:05 pm

The up/down vs left/right box/booklet issue leads to cropping problems. One gets more art/background than tge other.
But my main curiosity is that the art was redrawn.
I guess there was an issue with having to secure the rights to Les Edwards art.
I've seen redrawn same-ish versions of cover art before.
Prince of Persia and other NES box art for example.
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 26th, 2018, 12:48 am

Now that you say it - they are really redrawn! Small details are different all over the picture!

And I like the format of the American better, whereas i like the details of the European better.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » May 26th, 2018, 2:35 am

aaronAGN wrote:The up/down vs left/right box/booklet issue leads to cropping problems. One gets more art/background than tge other.
But my main curiosity is that the art was redrawn.
I guess there was an issue with having to secure the rights to Les Edwards art.
I've seen redrawn same-ish versions of cover art before.
Prince of Persia and other NES box art for example.

Or Les Esward's commissioned art simply called for a vertical painting. Which just didn't fit the American format and they had to make someone re-draw it.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » May 26th, 2018, 6:14 am

Perhaps he was too expensive to hire a second time to redo art for the NA format. Or he didn't want to try and draw the same twice because it never comes out identical.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion