• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Morcar's General

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Morcar's General

Postby whitebeard » May 22nd, 2018, 8:25 pm

benvoliothefirst wrote:This web site makes me happy. You nerds are my heroes!

Second that! This is a great thread. I though it was going to be a lame discussion and almost passed it by. Well, I was right it is lame... and cool at the same time.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Pancho » May 23rd, 2018, 1:31 am

Daedalus wrote:It's not called Hero Quest for nothing!

The timing of when the Frozen Horror broke free is uncertain other than it must be less than a century ago. We also know it needed some amount of time to regain the Scepter of Glacial Majesty, begin reviving minions, and start enacting its icy plans. That could have taken years, months, weeks, or even days. It's only a sketched-out narrative.

We do know the Frozen Horror was awaiting Zargon's signal, which indicates some kind of advance plan before it burst forth. In contrast, the Witch Lord isn't described as coordinating with Morcar/Zargon. When the seal to his tomb is broken, he is simply awoken and released. Could Morcar/Zargon have somehow been in contact prior to this? Well, yes . . . he is the Lord of Chaos, after all. Pretty much anything goes.

This is all just speculation, of course. Was the Frozen Horror planned as a BQP baddie from the days when Mentor's words on p.2 of the EU Rules of Play were penned? I dunno. I feel the Frozen Horror was either weakly retconned in for the reappearance of the original Morcar's general or else it fits as just another ancient evil conjured by Morcar back in Rogar's day.

Daedalus, overall you make a very good case for the Frozen Horror. I hadn't even thought of him when I wrote the OP.
I would strongly guess that the FH was not planned when the EU rulebook was written. The US expansions seem like a different thing written by different people with different visions for HQ.
But from the point of view of us nerds, I think the Frozen Horror fits very well.

The only problem is that we don't get to write a quest pack introducing Morcar's general if he is the FH, as it already exists.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » May 25th, 2018, 10:21 pm

Well I agree with Pancho's sentiment.
And I agree with Daedalus' speculative theory.

Personally, I wrote a few sketches for quests of my own.
Going off of the whole Morcar/Zargon issue as well as drawing inspiration from stories I grew up with.
Morcar is the OG evil Wizard when I play HeroQuest. Zargon is his General.
He's the highest rank in Morcar's minions and he's second in command amongst "The Wizards of Morcar". He's not included IN the quest obviously. But I've written a sequel quest book called "The Evil of the Warlock". Being that a Warlock traditionally is one who breaks their coven, I decided to write a campaign where Zargon double-crosses Morcar in a bid for power and the heroes get caught in the middle of their war.
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » June 2nd, 2018, 3:21 pm

Pancho wrote:Daedalus, overall you make a very good case for the Frozen Horror. I hadn't even thought of him when I wrote the OP.
I would strongly guess that the FH was not planned when the EU rulebook was written. The US expansions seem like a different thing written by different people with different visions for HQ.
But from the point of view of us nerds, I think the Frozen Horror fits very well.

The only problem is that we don't get to write a quest pack introducing Morcar's general if he is the FH, as it already exists.

I think anyone who wished to write up a Quest Pack tied into Morcar's general would be entirely justified. While the Frozen Horror fits well enough as a candidate, another narrative could fit in even better if written well. Such is the open-ended nature of the original mention of Morcar's general.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion