• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Dex/Str & Move adjustments

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Dex/Str & Move adjustments

Postby burglekutt » February 11th, 2018, 7:44 pm

t's difficult trying to come up with things a player can do, so I had to really reach to come up with this list. The moving & throwing of furniture around is meant to be funny, but also to broaden tactics for the players. My hope is that a player near death can use these to stay alive just alittle bit longer. Strength FEATS do count as actions.

Barbarian:Strength 4 or less on a 1d6. Dexterity 3 or less on a 1d6.
Dwarf: Str 4. DEX 3
Elf: Str 3. DEX 3
Rogue: Str 3. Dex 4.
Wizard: Str&Dex 2.

FEATS OF STRENGTH: Action. Failure means your turn ends.

KICK DOOR OPEN- Str 4 or equivalent of, & a diagonal hero may assist(two wizards could kick a door open, but not the elf by himself). If using a weapon the door has 6BP but enemies know your comming.

PUSH PAST ENEMIES-

PUSH BACK ENEMIES

HOLD DOOR SHUT- Enemies combined Str roll must beat your previous successful STR rolls each round. One adjacent hero may assist. 3 enemies may assist each other.

THROW TREASURE CHEST/CHAIR: Str 2 at 2Att(with your BP distance), enemy defends as normal.

MOVE BOOKCASE: Str 5 or equivalent. Rotate it 90degrees or 2 square in any direction.
Bookcase- Str 3 to tip over.
Alchemist Bench/The Rack & Table- Str 3 to tip or move.
Weapons rack- Str 2 to tip or move. Can't throw.
Chair/Chests- Str 2 to move or throw.

FLIP TABLE- Str 3. Stand the table up on end to have more room to battle! Or to block ranged weapons/ funnel enemies etc.

MONSTER BODY SHIELD: Pick up a slain enemy body for cover. The body has 3BP before falling to pieces. You move at 1d6 only. A desperate move mostly for laughs or retreating.

FEATS OF DEXTERITY: Action. Failure means your turn ends.

JUMP ONTO FURNITURE- Roll Dex or have 3 movement left.

CLIMB BOOKCASE- Must have 3moves left to attempt. You can only attack & be attacked by missile weapons/magic. Enemies can climb up too. Failure means you fall & your turn ends.

JUMP PIT TRAP/SWIM- Roll Dex.

FEIGN ATTACK- Melee enemies attack with one die against ONLY you till you stop doing this, or you fail the Dex roll. You defend with only one die & not attack on your turn. Meant for desperate heros.

TAKE COVER- Crouch behind or beside any furniture to avoid missile weapons at +1 DEF from ranged attacks. Enemies can do the same. Roll Dex each round to maintain.

What do you think, anything I can add? Would love your thoughts on it.
Last edited by burglekutt on May 24th, 2018, 2:24 pm, edited 37 times in total.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Dex/Str & Move adjustments

Postby torilen » February 11th, 2018, 9:05 pm

Whew - I thought I added a lot of rules.

You've got way too many things split up into individual actions.

I've added swimming and climbing...they are related to Body points (strength, of a sort), but also have their own
means of rolling.

For most of the items you've presented, I created the Push/Pull/Lift:
A character can lift up to 35 pounds for every 2 Body Points he possesses; for every 50 pounds a character is lifting/carrying,
his movement is cut by 10ft. A character can push or pull up to 50 pounds for every 2 Body Points he possesses; for every 50
pounds a character is pushing or pulling, his movement is cut by 15ft.

Aside from being able to determine WHETHER a character could do such actions you've presented...which, with what I
show here is simply "I have this many BP, so I can/I can't", you would assign a number of turns to each action. Most would
either take 1/2 an action...either the move OR the attack/cast a spell/etc...or a whole turn.
i.e. you turn a table over before or after you move or attack, OR you turn a table over and that is your turn.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby whitebeard » February 11th, 2018, 10:57 pm

It would seem that you should just erase all of these rules and go full on RPG with EWP converted to a GM who is not necessarily trying to defeat you.

Player: "Can I climb the bookcase?"

GM: "You can try, but no one has lived here in centuries, it is ancient and appears to have been eaten by termites."

Or

GM: "The wizards study furniture appears solid but is filled with books. It should support your weight, but if it doesn't it is coming down on top of you!"
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby burglekutt » February 11th, 2018, 11:46 pm

Iiii
Last edited by burglekutt on May 21st, 2018, 6:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby burglekutt » February 12th, 2018, 12:11 am

Whitebeard- lol, I hear what you're saying:) & we all know that that is exactly what we are trying to avoid when it comes HQ. That is why I've ditched the idea of using multiple dice for these "augmentations"of mine in favor of just using the famous "Skull" dice(which are a hit with new or inexperienced players).

The list I made may be long, but they are questions all of us has asked or wanted when we first played. The main goal is to provide more options than just "go in there & swing your sword you dumb Barbarian:)

This is why this game is so great lol, because of its simplicity. And I can only hope that my players read this list & want ATLEAST pieces of it for latter after I've run them though the origional. Thank you for your comment too, I do wanna avoid full on RPG status.
Last edited by burglekutt on May 30th, 2018, 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby burglekutt » February 12th, 2018, 7:37 pm

There has to be a thread somewhere on interacting with furniture. I'll throw one out there. For now ill use a system someone else suggested on another thread for handling strength & dexterity which I sorta like.

Roll 2D6. Roll bellow your starting Bpoints to succeed.

CWarrior/Gargoyle - 9 or less.
Barb/Dwarf, Fimir/Mummy- 8 or less.
Elf/Rogue, Orc/Zombie - 6 or less.
Wiz, Skeleton/Goblin- 4 or less.

Contested Strength rolls to HOLD A DOOR SHUT: Barb (needs an 8 or less) rolls a 6 to hold it shut after running out of the room. This is an action.
Orc (needs a 6 or less) rolls a 3 to force it open on his turn.
The Orc wins the contest because his roll was 3 bellow what he needed, where as the Barb was only 2 bellow what he needed.

Wiz (needs a 4 or less) rolls a 2.
Gargoyle (needs a 9 or less) rolls a 8.
The Wizard wins because he rolled 2 less than he needed. Gargoyle lost because he only rolled 1 less than he needed. The door stays shut till another monster adjacent from the door succeeds in a roll, or the Gargoyle trys next turn.
(The Wizard keeps his original roll while each monster attempts to beat it).

Using this system, let's get into furniture. Not sure if this is cool but hero's or monsters can climb on to most furniture at a cost of 2 movement? Maybe 3?

The Table, Torture Rack, Bookcase & Weapons Rack can be TIPPED OVER by rolling bellow your BPoints. Alternatively if you climb on to anything but the Weapons Rack, you gain a +2 to your roll that you need to roll under. (This is simply available for weaker characters who don't think they'll make their roll).

TABLE/TORTURE RACK: When Tipped Over, they act as a defensive wall or to funnel enemies. A +1DEF Die to both hero's & monsters fighting through the Table/TortureR.
( Weaker or injured hero's might like this when out numbered or against to powerful of an enemy). Monsters may climb over this for 2Movement as long as there is an empty square to land in.

BOOKCASE/WEAPONS RACK: When TIPPED OVER does 1CD dammage to all under it hero or monster. Regardless Monsters or Hero's now appear on top of the fallen furniture in the square they were on.
Attacking a hero or monster "perched" atop the BookCase is at a -1CD to hit with melee weapons.

MOVE FURNITURE: Roll bellow your BPoints. All furniture may be moved 2squares In any direction or you may rotate it 90degrees from one of its corners. Nothing must be in its way to do this though.

All furniture (except the Weapons Rack) provides a +1DEF from non-magical missile attacks when hidden behind it. This works for monsters too.

TREASURE CHEST/THRONE: May be moved 2squares as normal or can be thown (half your starting BPoints per square) for a 2ATT.
Last edited by burglekutt on June 12th, 2020, 2:49 am, edited 19 times in total.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » February 13th, 2018, 12:33 am

Josh wrote:Whitebeard, actually even D&D doesn't have stats for half of this list, especially if the DM is using a module. Or worse, the DM allows it, but it has no effect in the game other than looking cool.

The list looks intimidating but is actually only 15 additional things you can do & I figure my players would have it memerized by the end of the 2nd quest.

With this list, it makes me toy with the idea of "Fame Points" which players win for doing amazing actions. These Fame Points can latter be turned in for money.

Whitebeard- You act as if you've never tried to augment the game at all. I find that hard to believe. At least tell me some of the things you've changed/added. I agree with you that I don't want a complex mess on my hands because the simplicity can be lost.

You can find my quests by searching this site for DungeonsDark:
http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3223

They all play interchangably as if they were quest 15 from the base game. The best ones "add" nothing.

Artifacts typically serve to make the Wizard more fun, and usually break or otherwise disappear. Custom monsters are not recurring. Rare weapons give almost no buff, and I attack them with rust spells when I can.

House rules:
1 you are not dead until it is Zargon's turn and you have zero BP.
2 you cannot cast Tempest on consecutive turns in the same room.
3 vision is limitted to 1/2 the board in long hallways and obstructed around corners.
4 trap searches in hallways occur while moving and extend 3 spaces in front of you while moving.

My point about D&D is that it does cover all of these scenarios. The DM decides the difficulty based on the conditions, and you roll. You don't need any more rules than that. It's prety easy to remeber.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby burglekutt » February 13th, 2018, 3:34 am

whitebeard- love the artifacts & downloaded the rest for latter. Look forward to checking them out.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 12th, 2018, 2:42 pm

Josh wrote:. . . FEATS OF STRENGTH: Action. Failure means your turn ends.

#1 KICK DOOR OPEN- Must roll Skull+Black or equivalent of. Diagonal heros may assist. If using a weapon the door has 6BP.

#2 PUSH PASSED ENEMIES- The square behind or adjacent to the enemy must be empty for you to do this. Strength vs enemies Strength is rolled, or If you do 1Bp of damage you can instead do this instantly. Roll movement & get going.

#3 PUSH BACK ENEMIES- Str vs Strength is rolled, or If you do 1Bp of damage you can push that enemy back a square(even diagonal) instantly as long as the square behind him is empty.

#4 THROW OBJECTS(weapons)- As per your Strength bonus range.

#5 THROW FURNITURE- Treasure chest/chair ONLY at 2Att(with your throw distance), enemy defends as normal. I think of Geraldo Rivera. Could have a trap so it's at your risk. . . .

#1 If one or more diagonal Heroes assist, on whose turn does the door open if successful? I imagine assisting Heroes would also use an action. My guess is only the last successfully assisting Hero could move.
#2,#3 An opposed strength check could use some elaboration. If both opponents with equal die chances get a success, who wins the tie? If an unequal Barbarian and a Goblin both succeed, who wins? When both succeed (equal or unequal die chances) does it matter who initiates the action?
#4,,#5 What is Strength bonus range/throw distance? I couln't find anything about this.

Josh wrote:FEATS OF DEXTERITY: Action. Failure means your turn ends. . . .

#3 JUMP PIT TRAP- Like normal but roll DEX. My hope is that this will encourage players to either buff up, or buy a rope n grappling hook or other items. . . .

#7 DISARM TRAPS: The Dwarf starts with a Skull in this.

What do you think, anything I can add? Would love your thoughts on it.

#3 I think you could change this to Jump a Trap so as to also include any discovered, unsprung floor trap.
#7 A tool kit disarms a trap with anything but a skull, also a 3-in-6 chance. How does the Dwarf ability combine with a tool kit? Is it a single, combined roll or two separate rolls? If a single roll, what is needed? I'd guess a skull or black shield. With a Dex-buffed Dwarf and a tool kit, this could increase to anything but a black shield.

Your options remind me of the new warriors' actions of the original Warhammer Quest that featured characteristic tests (p. 160-166, link.) Way back, the multitude of roleplay options looked so cool to me. Today, I don't know, but I hope to someday play through the two published adventures I own.

Since you asked for thoughts, I'd say be spare when assigning varied success results with your actions. Yes, throw in some new stuff, but less is more. The combat die works so well because of it's direct values: skull=a hit, trap damage, success or failure; white shield=a Hero defense; black shield=a monster defense or rare failure. You may find more you deviate from this sacred trinity with new values, the more the elegant charm of the combat die will be lost to your players.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby burglekutt » April 18th, 2018, 6:15 am

Daedalus wrote:#1 If one or more diagonal Heroes assist, on whose turn does the door open if successful? I imagine assisting Heroes would also use an action. My guess is only the last successfully assisting Hero could move.

If the last assisting hero had to move before the door was kicked open then no, he be the last one in.
Daedalus wrote:#2,#3 An opposed strength check could use some elaboration. If both opponents with equal die chances get a success, who wins the tie? If an unequal Barbarian and a Goblin both succeed, who wins? When both succeed (equal or unequal die chances) does it matter who initiates the action?

You are correct & I actually need to rethink this because even if I allow only one strength roll by a hero to succeed, I open myself to other problems such as hero's pushing powerful enemies into pit traps etc. I'll need to come up with a better way to push enemies around.
Daedalus wrote:#4,,#5 What is Strength bonus range/throw distance? I couln't find anything about this.

I wasn't even sure about this myself till I saw that a lot of you here on the site use a heros BPoints as the distance in squares that they can throw. This makes things a lot easier I suppose & will use it.
Daedalus wrote:]
#3 I think you could change this to Jump a Trap so as to also include any discovered, unsprung floor trap.

Agreed
Daedalus wrote:#7 A tool kit disarms a trap with anything but a skull, also a 3-in-6 chance. How does the Dwarf ability combine with a tool kit? Is it a single, combined roll or two separate rolls? If a single roll, what is needed? I'd guess a skull or black shield. With a Dex-buffed Dwarf and a tool kit, this could increase to anything but a black shield.

I actually don't use dexterity for disarming traps, but was considering using a 1D6 for Trap Disarming, STR,DEX, BRAWL etc instead of the standard SKULL die. The Toolkit gives a +3 to disarming traps, so the Dwarf starts with a 2 or less to disarm, but with the Toolkit rolls a 5 or less. Basically the same if I used a SKULL die. I just don't like that the Dwarf can disarm a trap automatically with a roll of 5 or less. I think he should at Least have to buy the toolkit for that.

Other hero's start at zero, but with the Toolkit roll a 3 or less to disarm.
Daedalus wrote: new warriors' actions of the original Warhammer Quest.

Not familiar with that unfortunately, I got stuck only playing D&D & HQ.
Daedalus wrote:Since you asked for thoughts, I'd say be spare when assigning varied success results with your actions. Yes, throw in some new stuff, but less is more. The combat die works so well because of it's direct values: skull=a hit, trap damage, success or failure; white shield=a Hero defense; black shield=a monster defense or rare failure. You may find more you deviate from this sacred trinity with new values, the more the elegant charm of the combat die will be lost to your players.

This list was to add more options for the players due to failures that I found in the game. Not many will notice this but the furniture in this game is a player in the game that is barely used. I think it should be exciting for the hero's to find them.
Options:#1 The Weapons Rack could give you a rusted CLAYMORE 4Att(diagonal) Sword good for 2 swings before it breaks:)
#2 The Alchimest Bench allows the wizard to make a +1BP potion. Perhaps a single Molotov Cocktail any player can use for 3ATT.
#3 Bookcase gives you a weak powered scroll for a +1 ATT on a single swing. Etc,etc,etc.

The being able to move furniture around is an extension of all this to simply make the furniture more exciting to see &interact with, but honestly I've never done it & don't know if it's a good idea. Although to see the Barbarian flip a table over or bust the Gargoyle over the head with a chair would be hilarious.

I tried to use the origional Combat SKULL die for these actions(Str/Dex/Brawl) to make these things happen, but figure I'll sadly use a 1D6 instead so as not to confuse the players on what they need to roll.
Last edited by burglekutt on April 18th, 2018, 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Rules