• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Flip side of the coin, expansions only released overseas

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Flip side of the coin, expansions only released overseas

Postby Cael Darkhollow » November 10th, 2017, 1:38 pm

I find it supremely ironic that many posts here talk about the extreme rarity of the elf quest pack and the barbarian quest pack and lament their high costs online, even spawning fan made scans, downloads and repop figures, when I had the exact same (er...opposite) problem and difficulty with obtaining the UK/Europe/Australia only expansion releases Against the Ogre Horde and Wizards of Morcar. Why oh why did they do limited regional distribution?

I remember the t.v. commercial and getting super excited for HQ game system exclaiming " look pop they made a board game out of Gauntlet!" Gauntlet and Gauntlet II were my favorite arcade games in the mid eighties, my twin brother and I paid a fortune in coin playing them nearly single handedly reviving the sagging industry. Gauntlet is basically HQ with the now standard fantasy trope characters of Warrior, Elf, Dwarf {late edit it is the Valkyrie in gauntlet not the dwarf} and Wizard that Tolkien himself established permanently in his genre building world of fantasy long ago, except with real time combat and respawning monsters instead of turn based combat. All are basic dungeon crawlers with simple mechanics for attacking, magic, opening doors and chest and searching for secret doors, or as we would later call them Dungeons&Dragons lite. I grew up in the era when high fantasy merchandise was at the zenith of its popularity and owned much of it.

We begged dad for HeroQuest receiving it for Christmas with our Cheshire grins at the age of 12. It quickly became our favorite board game replacing Fireball Island, Ghostbusters or Dark Tower as the ultimate board game. As our 13th birthday came a month later, the hunt for the expansion packs advertised on the flyer in the boxed set soon began. A quick trip to the Kmart store and we now owned Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witchlord as well. No long after we decided one for each of us (more figs!) was the way to go so bought one more of each at a Shopko store. DarkWorld and Battlemasters joined the games collection.

A few years went by and one day I was perusing a board game shop in the mall looking for Dungeons & Dragons stuff and stumbled upon the new HQ elf and barbarian quest packs. They had a dozen of each on the shelf if you can imagine that! Again we bought one of each for both of us. I bought a Gamesworkshop skeleton army boxed set at the same store to use with HeroQuest, starting my first figure modeling and painting and the eventual spending of several hundred dollars over the years as I went down the Warhammer rabbit hole. I had only done some model cars, tanks and planes by that point. We never considered painting the HeroQuest figures up until that point as it was a board game to us rather than hobby models. I wouldn't paint any HeroQuest figures until years later when our well used original set got conscripted into my fledgling Warhammer armies. The majority of my HQ collection remains unpainted.

We often looked for new HQ products and eventually found Advanced HeroQuest and AHQ Terror in the Dark, but no rumor of anything else for years. Somehow Warhammer quest skipped notice even though when I was in high school I spent a good deal of time and money at the hobby shop buying Advanced Dungeons&Dragons 2nd edition Ravenloft setting material for years and they must have had it. In college we heard rumors about released only in Europe HQ stuff but the fledgling Internet wouldn't finally show me Against the Ogre Horde, the only one I knew about until many years later, and I resigned myself to never owning it. By now I had amassed a formidable board game collection and became the caretaker/owner of my twin brother's HQ stuff as well when he married and moved into a tiny college apartment.

With the advent of Amazon and EBay, I began looking for rare old board games to buy to replace some from our youth or that we'd wished we had. HeroQuest was still in the back of my mind. I began purchasing more HeroQuest and Battlemasters sets for dirt cheap ($20 US or so back then) to bolster my Warhammer stuff because the sharp increase in Games Workshop model prices had begun long ago and I found it a convenient way to collect compatible plastic figures. Many years went by with only the occasional fantasy dungeon foray of any kind with a few friends as I mostly collected and read fantasy materials rather than played any actual fantasy games besides computer games in those days.

I started to notice the drastic increase in game prices online HeroQuest and Battlemasters sets jumped from $20 to $50 or more plus shipping so I finally decided I must have the European expansion before it became forever out of reach. I then find out there are actually two more!! Wizards of Morcar and an adventure design kit. Now I was thunderstruck with a passioned mania only rivaled by toad and his motor car and had to get them by any means. At this point websites about HQ were nonexistent or I remained ignorant of them and the pdfs, tile scans, and remolded figures were probably not dreamt of yet. Soon enough I finally landed Against the Ogre Horde at auction, and kept my eye out for the others.

Eventually I got a Wizards of Morcar as well and finally stumbled on this site or others like it and learned about the differences between European HQ and American HQ so I then decided to get UK versions of Kellar's Keep, Return of the Witch Lord and HeroQuest Advanced Quest the Dark Company. I now consider my HeroQuest game collection complete although I would love to own the sticker album or design kit, they appear very hard to find and extremely pricy for what it is. I did buy the computer game, NES game and the three HQ novels for cheap easily enough.

Now 27 years later after I first saw HeroQuest, I plot a massive Chistmas gift of HeroQuest, expansions, and DarkWorld games for my twin brother and his boys who are nearly as old as we were (9 and 12) when introduced to HeroQuest. I bought another Against the Ogre Horde and am looking for a final copy of Morcar for my twin brother and maybe a design kit for me. I really appreciate the scans here and stuff to verify materials, but I have collector' blood and must own an actual copy. :goblin: :orc: :fimir: :skeleton: :zombie: :mummy: :chaoswarrior: :gargoyle:

I just recently found out that DarkWorld had Europe only releases as well, bought Village of Fear and I am on the hunt for Dragon's gate. :roll:
Last edited by Cael Darkhollow on November 27th, 2017, 10:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Flip side of the coin, expansions only released overseas

Postby knightkrawler » November 10th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Great read, nice history! |_P
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sparkymark » November 10th, 2017, 5:43 pm

Great to read about your love affair with Heroquest. I think we can all relate to it at Ye Olde Inn.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Sparkymark

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » November 11th, 2017, 6:09 am

Cael Darkhollow wrote:Gauntlet is basically HQ with the now standard fantasy trope characters of Warrior, Elf, Dwarf and Wizard...
You mean warrior, elf, wizard and valkyrie. I loved that game too. ;)
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Cael Darkhollow » November 11th, 2017, 10:32 am

Green Elf needs food badly. Green Elf is about to die. :elf: :cheese: :skull:
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » November 11th, 2017, 10:37 am

I got the WoM and AtOH at fairly reasonable prices. They aren't extremely difficult to find. Don't just go to Ebay to find them (cause you won't). Instead go to ebay.co.uk and ask the sellers if they will ship to the U.S.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » November 11th, 2017, 11:25 am

Cael Darkhollow wrote:... I had the exact same (er...opposite) problem and difficulty with obtaining the UK/Europe/Australia only expansion releases Against the Ogre Horde and Wizards of Morcar....

Wizards of Morcar wasn't released in Australia, neither in all european countries, but only in UK, German, Netherlands, Spain, France and Italy. I guess the Italian version is the rarest one to find (and I still miss its original italian box).

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » November 11th, 2017, 3:41 pm

While you're at it... Dragon strike has some really good boards to use.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby kyrrahn » November 13th, 2017, 12:26 am

Yeah, the real problem though is that sellers are wise to the fact that if they break them up and sell of the rare expansions in pieces they'll make more money (like Richard Gere's character in Pretty Woman). Completed expansions are then sold at crazy prices due to the demand. A female barbarian figure goes for over $100 alone.
I want my Mummy :mummy:
kyrrahn

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » November 13th, 2017, 10:40 am

My son was playing an Adventure Time dungeon game on the Xbox that was pretty much a ripoff of Gauntlet, even down to the appearance of Death if you spent too long on one level.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion