• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest Quest Contest (Dice Give Away!)

Topics and Polling Stations for Previous Contests.

Re: HeroQuest Quest Contest (Dice Give Away!)

Postby Gold Bearer » October 13th, 2017, 10:20 am

whitebeard wrote:The pit traps have a dual purpose as well, EWP can respawn monsters at any pit trap. So the more gready you are on the way in, the more difficult it is on the way out!
Yea I've read it properly now, very nice quest. I like the time travel element as well, uber Flashback spells. Pity you can't wipe the hero players memories when you cast it. I might steal that for a one use quest treasure in my next pack that allows them to start a quest from scratch.

One thing about the pits though, a pit trap in the wrong place could make the quest undoable because of how jumping works so you need a rule to cover it like allowing them to deliberately fall into pits, maybe they're shallow so you don't lose BP if you know they're there.

whitebeard wrote:I've been sitting on this one as incomplete for about a year now. I have used CW as undead in the past, and I do not think that is a new idea.

The sliding blocks like this actually comes from the original Tomb Raider game. And I almost named the Quest that.
I was actually hoping you did get it from mine, I like it when that happens.

whitebeard wrote:Note that there are one way passages / inaccesdible regions (with treasure) if you push blocks without thinking it through... and you can actually trap a hero if you are really bad.
I like the way you did the cell room with the secret doors and blocking their path if they don't search.

Decipher wrote:This is awesome Whitebeard. But you're still going in the drawing.
Fine, ignore me. :(
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Decipher » October 13th, 2017, 11:49 am

Sorry Gold Bearer, I meant you, the names were running together when I wrote that post, I was on my last leg at that point. It's a great submission.

|_P

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » October 13th, 2017, 4:20 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:I was actually hoping you did get it from mine, I like it when that happens.

whitebeard wrote:Note that there are one way passages / inaccesdible regions (with treasure) if you push blocks without thinking it through... and you can actually trap a hero if you are really bad.
I like the way you did the cell room with the secret doors and blocking their path if they don't search.

Decipher wrote:This is awesome Whitebeard. But you're still going in the drawing.
Fine, ignore me. :(

I mostly don't read quest materials posted on here because I imagine ond day getting to play as a hero, and I would not like to have ruined any surprises. I try to be as original as possible, keeping at least one totally new twist per quest. Extending from the base set, my DungeonsDark set (search for it) does a reasonably good job of this. If you liked elements of this one, then there are certainly other things there you might like. And doubtless concepts you`ve seen used before, but hopefully a good twist in each. A Night Errant, Perfect Vision, and Lost and Found were a lot of fun to play.

I would allow the hero to climb down if there ended up being any LONG pits as you say. But if they trap themselves or block the path forward... then many EWPs would be "okay" with the consequenses. One other alternative would be to put the "found" trap on a different square. The hero is assumed to be roaming the room searching for treasure after all. If you do this with a trap in the room, then you spring it and are moved to that spot. So same thing I guess.

I too was confused by Decipher's comment. But hey, it's your contest!

I have the Quest PDF generation down to a simple text input in any editor. I would run yours for you, but I'm prety sure it's more than one page and I follow that as a rule. Adding a second page will involve a bit of work to make it look right.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » October 13th, 2017, 9:41 pm

I present Scavenger Hunt.

Last edited by j_dean80 on December 31st, 2017, 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » October 14th, 2017, 5:32 am

Nice quest but a couple of issues.
"This blade allows the wielder to automatically defeat one combat dice of the defender." :?:
If they meet the orc in the C room before finding the gem he could follow them around and attack them each turn until they find it and that would be frustrating and far too difficult. I'd not let him leave that room, or at maybe the SW room block would be better.
I'd make the weapon rack give them random equipment, or say it's a magical weapon rack.

whitebeard wrote:I mostly don't read quest materials posted on here because I imagine ond day getting to play as a hero, and I would not like to have ruined any surprises. I try to be as original as possible, keeping at least one totally new twist per quest. Extending from the base set, my DungeonsDark set (search for it) does a reasonably good job of this. If you liked elements of this one, then there are certainly other things there you might like. And doubtless concepts you`ve seen used before, but hopefully a good twist in each. A Night Errant, Perfect Vision, and Lost and Found were a lot of fun to play.
I missed that one, just downloaded it, I'll have a look later. |_P

whitebeard wrote:I have the Quest PDF generation down to a simple text input in any editor. I would run yours for you, but I'm prety sure it's more than one page and I follow that as a rule. Adding a second page will involve a bit of work to make it look right.
StratosVX has very kindly offered to make my quests official looking, I just need to finish the cards.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » October 14th, 2017, 7:52 am

Gold Bearer wrote:Nice quest but a couple of issues.
"This blade allows the wielder to automatically defeat one combat dice of the defender." :?:
If they meet the orc in the C room before finding the gem he could follow them around and attack them each turn until they find it and that would be frustrating and far too difficult. I'd not let him leave that room, or at maybe the SW room block would be better.
I'd make the weapon rack give them random equipment, or say it's a magical weapon rack.

Wielder/attacker rolls 2 Skulls. Defender rolls 2 Black Shields. Defender loses one BP.

Room C does say he will not leave.

The weapon's rack is based the same as EQP or BQP (can't remember atm). The Quest is difficult so it helps the Heroes build up some for it. Up to them to choose wisely.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » October 14th, 2017, 9:17 am

j_dean80 wrote:Wielder/attacker rolls 2 Skulls. Defender rolls 2 Black Shields. Defender loses one BP.
Okay so it automatically causes 1BP on top of whatever's rolled or the target minuses one shield from their defence roll? Also it doesn't say how many dice it attacks with.

j_dean80 wrote:Room C does say he will not leave.
Yes it does. :oops:

j_dean80 wrote:The weapon's rack is based the same as EQP or BQP (can't remember atm). The Quest is difficult so it helps the Heroes build up some for it. Up to them to choose wisely.
It just seems a little odd that they get to chose what's on the rack.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » October 14th, 2017, 9:33 am

Gold Bearer wrote:Also it doesn't say how many dice it attacks with.

That was my edit note at the bottom. Hope to get it updated today.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » October 14th, 2017, 9:05 pm

j_dean80 wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:Also it doesn't say how many dice it attacks with.

That was my edit note at the bottom. Hope to get it updated today.

Updated and re-posted.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Big Bene » October 15th, 2017, 10:58 am

Decipher wrote:using either HeroScribe or the HeroQuest Photoshop template.
Any special reason you excluded me?
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Previous Contests