• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

WFRP and HeroQuest

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: WFRP and HeroQuest

Postby Jade » August 10th, 2017, 9:35 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:
Jade wrote:and I suspect would be a lot more interesting than HQ.

I doubt that very much... If I get bored of HeroQuest and what to change it up a bit. I play modular HeroQuest as close to Warhammer Quest as i like, I do like those doors and floor tiles though.

I've played HeroQuest and Warhammer Quest, so I'd like to think I'm in a better position to make that determination. Warhammer Quest is, mechanically, like HeroQuest, but with more—more classes, more monsters, more equipment, a wider variety of traps, etc. And your heroes level up in WQ, which I like. The Wizard learns more spells over time.
Jade

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Jade » August 10th, 2017, 9:37 pm

But ultimately I do think HeroQuest (which is fun in its own right), would also be a lot of fun as a board-based Hack n'Slash rendition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (WFRP).
Jade

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » October 5th, 2017, 2:43 pm

I'd very much like to try WFRP, but based on what I've read here, 1st Edition seems closest to something that could work with HQ in terms of story and cannon, and I can't find a pdf copy of it anywhere. I found the 2nd Edition, but I'd love 1st to read through and also to use as reference for future HQ quests.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » December 14th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Jade wrote: . . . The downside to WQ is that it is moderately linear when you're going coop and using the dungeon randomizer. This is the inherent weakness in randomized dungeons. However, you can play WQ with a Zargon-type player, in which case it has none of these problems, and I suspect would be a lot more interesting than HQ. I would love to play a curated campaign like that. . . .

Indeed, the role-playing version of WHQ offers a wide range of creative boardgaming. Unfortunately, I only got to scratch the surface of that aspect of the play experience with a bit of the first Roleplay Quest.

The Quest notes can get quite detailed, as the half-page format isn't used. That can be a big plus if you go for that kind of adventure. Also, the range of actions was a full page. Again, that's awesome if you don't mind the extra bother of remembering or referencing the list.

Jade wrote:. . . But even with the linear-ish quests, I still found Warhammer Quest (the board game) to be a blast. And it has so much variety! If you use the monster tables, there's something like 155 different monsters you could run into (spread out over 10 levels). . . .

I still haven't fully proxied WHQ, as my friend and I only played up to Battle Lvl 5. My beef was with the loads of Wounds that needed tracking. That and the overabundance of treasure cards/notes to track. And the overpowered Wizard. And that damn roll-a-one phase. That could really drag the game. Despite the flaws, it was still had it's shining moments of pure fun.

All that said, HQ's sandbox rules allow for loads of variety as well. It a hobby that can extend in much the same scope (with work) as WHQ Roleplay . . . but in a more streamlined fasion. Playing WHQ has caused me to appreciate that economy in HQ.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion