• Advertisement

Ye Olde Inn is proudly hosted by

Proudly Hosted by MDD Hosting

Host your Website at MDD Hosting by clicking the logo above and Ye Olde Inn will receive a commission that we'll put toward keeping Ye Olde Inn online for everyone to enjoy!

WFRP and HeroQuest

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

WFRP and HeroQuest

Postby Jade » Wednesday August 9th, 2017 9:34pm

So, am I alone in thinking that HeroQuest would make a half-decent WFRP dungeon crawler? I'm tempted to do a full conversion. It'd be pretty easy—just adopt the WFRP rules wholesale, perhaps with a few caveats and maybe a little balancing. Obviously certain items would have to be tweaked (and probably the shop would have to be overhauled). Depending on if you used 1st or 2nd (or 4th?), Fimir would need stats. I think it'd probably be safe to import the 1 BP figures directly from their WFRP stats, but I'm less sure about stuff like Fimir, Chaos Warriors, or Mummies. Or the Gargoyle. He'd need to be statted out. The idea would be to run it as a full-blown RPG, but using the HQ board and models (and quests)!

At any rate, what do you think? Good idea? Blasphemy? Has someone already done this?
Jade

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: WFRP and HeroQuest

Postby mitchiemasha » Thursday August 10th, 2017 6:35am

Surely you mean this the other way round. Wouldn't WFRP make a half decent HeroQuest.

Anyways to answer your question... If you mean converting the Quests, no, they're not very creative. If you mean using the pieces, hell yeah! But if a Dungeon Crawler doesn't have Skull and shield Combat dice, with a roll to move mechanic, I don't want to play it, lol!

I'd much prefer to use the WFRP RP rules but add them to the Original HQ rules. Adding more of an RP experience to the game but with out the bloatware of complex stats systems.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jade » Thursday August 10th, 2017 9:27am

Sorry, but I thought WQ was great, and it basically uses the exact same stats as WFRP.
Jade

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Thursday August 10th, 2017 11:14am

I'm simply being the Hardcore Heroquest fan...lol!!! The BLASPHEMY!!!

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jade » Thursday August 10th, 2017 11:27am

Have you played Warhammer Quest? It's a very different game than HQ (by default no Zargon and all, though you can absolutely play that way), but man I love it for a coop experience that's similar.
Jade

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Thursday August 10th, 2017 1:27pm

I used to like WFB but I tried the WHQ cpu game but didn't like it, I take it WFRP is the same thing. Every quest felt the same, every room was the same. A group of monsters in an otherwise empty rectangular room, then a short empty corridor, then another group of monsters in an otherwise empty rectangular room, then a short empty corridor, then then a short empty... ...then finally the boss. It had some weird rules as well, you could fire a bow as an extra action without losing any other actions so you could hit them and them shoot them each turn, skill progression had no real structure and a couple of other things I can't remember. Maybe the board game is different, or even if it isn't you can easily change what you don't like in a board game.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2454

Wanna learn martial arts? Check out my youtube channel, tutorials coming soon. By far my most popular video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6BkN-3E

Gateway to higher dimensions - DMT, Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtT6Xkk-kzk

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Jade » Thursday August 10th, 2017 2:06pm

Gold Bearer wrote:I used to like WFB but I tried the WHQ cpu game but didn't like it, I take it WFRP is the same thing.

WFRP is not at all similar to WQ (the board game), actually. Only (most of) the stats, and a few of the mechanics are similar. WFRP (Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay) is a full-fledged roleplaying game, and quite a good one at that. But the play experience of HQ is closer to WFRP than WQ is closer to WFRP, because of Zargon. (But HQ and WQ are more similar to each other than WFRP.)

Every quest felt the same, every room was the same. A group of monsters in an otherwise empty rectangular room, then a short empty corridor, then another group of monsters in an otherwise empty rectangular room, then a short empty corridor, then then a short empty... ...then finally the boss.

The downside to WQ is that it is moderately linear when you're going coop and using the dungeon randomizer. This is the inherent weakness in randomized dungeons. However, you can play WQ with a Zargon-type player, in which case it has none of these problems, and I suspect would be a lot more interesting than HQ. I would love to play a curated campaign like that.

But even with the linear-ish quests, I still found Warhammer Quest (the board game) to be a blast. And it has so much variety! If you use the monster tables, there's something like 155 different monsters you could run into (spread out over 10 levels).

It had some weird rules as well, you could fire a bow as an extra action without losing any other actions so you could hit them and them shoot them each turn,

Not in Warhammer Quest (the board game).

skill progression had no real structure and a couple of other things I can't remember.

Stat progression has a pretty clear structure, but certain classes do get randomized skills. But I have no idea what the PC game is like.

Maybe the board game is different

Sounds like it!
Jade

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » Thursday August 10th, 2017 2:31pm

Once I finally get a gaming group together, I plan to introduce them into the world by starting with some HeroQuest games, and then eventually culminating in a BattleMasters type event, where the results from the HeroQuest game have an effect on the big end battle, kind of like a campaign.

I tried to introduce an ex to Warhammer with a full-fledged fantasy battle as her first exposure to the world, and frightened her off the whole shebang. It's hard to relate to people who haven't grown up with this stuff, so I want to ease people into it with the simpler games. I figure if they like HeroQuest and BattleMasters, I might introduce them to Silver Tower or Age of Sigmar, but once you start getting into to hit/to wound charts, people's eyes glaze over.
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results

Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak

Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jade » Thursday August 10th, 2017 2:45pm

That's a great idea. I love Battle Masters!

As a kid, I went HeroQuest, then Battle Masters, then Warhammer.

Warhammer:Diskwars might be a great way to go—it's a light wargame, is pretty easy to explain, set up, and grok, and can be played within an hour. Of course, it has no models, so bringing the HQ heroes into it might be a bit weird unless you made custom disks.
Jade

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Thursday August 10th, 2017 5:34pm

Jade wrote:and I suspect would be a lot more interesting than HQ.

I doubt that very much... If I get bored of HeroQuest and what to change it up a bit. I play modular HeroQuest as close to Warhammer Quest as i like, I do like those doors and floor tiles though.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion