• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Why is HQ so high on eBay?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Postby Decipher » July 15th, 2017, 10:10 am

If you type in HeroQuest in eBay's search engine, you get 893 listings. Now, that's just the US site of eBay. I haven't even checked the UK eBay site. HeroQuest is supposed to be rare right? Why? Because it's old? The prices on eBay are absolutely ridiculous, for anything HQ. From a single goblin mini to a sealed starter box. The prices are all artificial, people just throw up whatever the other guy has his crap listed at. If the prices are high because HQ is supposed to be rare and its rare because its old, then why is eBay over-saturated with 893 HQ listings? Wouldn't an abundant of something make it's value go down? It's a conflict of interest.

If anything, these prices are driving people away. If I didn't already own a closet full of HQ and wanted to find a copy. I would look on eBay, just like everyone else, and would be turned off completely because of the prices. The retro video game hobby has been going through this very thing for a few years now. Mega Man 1 for the NES is trending at $65.00 right now. Why? Its not anymore rare than Zelda, Metroid, Tetris, those games are a quarter of what Mega Man is trending at.

I bought one complete HQ starter box, one barbarian pack and the witch-lord pack back in 2014. I paid $140.00 for all from the same auction. I picked up two more complete copies of the starter box for $50 and $30 that same year from eBay. I know that was 3 years ago, but $200 for a complete box, $500 for a barbarian pack, $775 for an elf pack in 2017? It doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Why is HQ so high on eBay?

Postby knightkrawler » July 15th, 2017, 11:11 am

You are right.
But a guy coming up with a number and offering something for that amount of dollars doesn't make a price.
As long as nobody buys that *lemony goodness*, that sum isn't the "price".

You could go and make some research about this and watch how long these items are listed and how often they don't sell.

As far as I'm concerned, the price for something that is OOP is based ONLY on the second highest bid to an auction.
That second highest bid defines the interest to me.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » July 15th, 2017, 12:30 pm

The people who were kids when HQ was released are now at the point in their lives where they want to introduce their own kids to their childhood favorites. Boardgames, videogames, cartoons, toys, etc. They also reached the point where they have some extra income to get those old things. That all drives up the prices. People will pay for their memories...$700 HQ quest pack...throw it on a credit card and won't "feel" the cost. That is the American way.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby clmckay » July 15th, 2017, 1:14 pm

I wish we had kept a better trend of prices over the last 10-15 years.

I don't quite remember the price history as you've all described.

I remember the two rare US quest packs as selling, actually selling, on eBay for right at $350 over an extended period from...let's say 2010-2012-ish. I kinda stopped following prices at that time. KK and RotWL were 25-50, and awoM and AtOH were going around 150 give or take.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » July 15th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Because some people are actively trying to go to Hell.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Decipher » July 15th, 2017, 1:39 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Why is HQ so high on eBay?

Because some people are actively trying to go to Hell.

I do believe there is a special hole in Hell for them.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Decipher » July 15th, 2017, 1:48 pm

j_dean80 wrote:The people who were kids when HQ was released are now at the point in their lives where they want to introduce their own kids to their childhood favorites. Boardgames, videogames, cartoons, toys, etc. They also reached the point where they have some extra income to get those old things. That all drives up the prices. People will pay for their memories...$700 HQ quest pack...throw it on a credit card and won't "feel" the cost. That is the American way.

That's where people are stupid. Instead of researching whatever they are looking for, they just pay crazy amounts of money for stuff. Case in point, that stupid NES classic console. Why pay $250 - $500 for one that has only 30 games? Why not just buy a Raspberry Pi for $40 and have 4,000 games? No different with HeroQuest. Yeoldeinn.com is the top website listed at the top of the page whenever HeroQuest is searched. Come here, get it all for free, print it out and use all that money you saved to buy a game board, furniture and miniatures. I mean, there is a big difference between paying $70 for what you need and $200 for a complete box.

I think people are just lazy. Maybe I'm just cheap. I don't know.

Rewards:
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » July 15th, 2017, 7:00 pm

Can I post here yet???

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby torilen » July 15th, 2017, 7:01 pm

This has been my rant for a while now...the price of things seem to be outrageous. For anything. I blame it on TV.
I know...funny...droll ha ha. But really...look at all of the tv shows where people get all sorts of money for CRAP.
Look at all of the tv shows that show people making tons of money flipping houses, flipping storage lockers, flipping
yard sale finds. (heck, my sister is a pro at buying something at a yard sale, fixing it up a bit and selling it for more).

For HQ, go to ebay and look at those listings that have actually sold. The prices are still really over priced, in my opinion,
but not as high as $300-$600. Mostly around the $150 - $200 mark.

As for the 800+ listings. That is because *$&%#(@ bags like to take every single piece and list it separately at its own
over-rated price. And the sad part is people are desperate enough to buy into it. It is possible to get some great deals,
you have to be willing to put the time and effort into it.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » July 15th, 2017, 7:02 pm

And I STILL cannot finish the comments I am trying to post...what is up with the site?

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion