• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

# of HQ dice

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

# of HQ dice

Postby Decipher » July 4th, 2017, 8:13 am

Let me ask everyone here, why would they include only 6 (USA) or 4 (Europe) combat dice in the HQ starter box? I mean heck, I thought 6 was bad, I didn't know our brothers across the pond only got 4! You know at Milton Bradley, they had to know 6 or 4 dice simply isn't enough for 5 players. I can't stand having to hand dice to other players or trying to keep track of them constantly. I think every player, even the wimpy Wizard, should have no less than 5 dice.

Why didn't they include more dice?
Did they ever sell dice separately in packs commercially officially?
How many dice would you have wanted to be included in the starter box?
When you played HQ back in the day with only 6 or 4 dice, did it the lack of dice hamper your game? (Drove me nuts personally) :oops: :skull: :whiteshield: :skull: :blackshield:

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: # of HQ dice

Postby Goblin-King » July 4th, 2017, 9:05 am

Well, back in the days we were kids and these kind of board games wasn't even remotely as big a thing as it is today.
I don't remember the amount of dice really being a problem.
Anyways, EU version came first and they realized 4 was too few after all - among many other things they fixed this for NA

Today I aim to give each player a private set of the dice he needs.
Though I'd say less could do it. Perhaps a set of dice for each half of the table/two players sharing 1 set...

That's the one thing ticking me of about the new DOOM. It's almost LESS than the bare minimum of dice.
One thing is having to hand them around all the time. But certain attack combos actually require you to roll more dice than there's available.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Decipher » July 4th, 2017, 9:23 am

GK, did you guys have the square combat dice or rounded? We all know here the States we got the rounded edge dice, but it looks like the movement dice available here were either the square or rounded. I have 5 sets of movement dice, all N/A bought, and I have 3 rounded and 2 square. I should add, I have two square combat dice too, but I don't know where I got them.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » July 4th, 2017, 9:35 am

All HQ dice I've ever seen look like these:

Please post picture of those square dice. Sounds like fakes?

Edit:

Also I find it impossible to find ordinary red wooden dice in the right size.
Believe it or not, they are actually harder to find than combat dice!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » July 4th, 2017, 9:45 am

I think six is a good number for including in the base game box. I think they should have
sold extra packs of dice, should players want to have a set for each player. I don't really
have a problem with handing dice around, but it can be annoying if you have to reroll
a few dice simply to finish out a single activity roll.

Of course, look at who is saying this. I'm one of those who tinkers a lot, and I've been trying
to get a set of colored dice for a few years...still looking at making my own, perhaps. When
you add that into the equation, of course I would be okay with one set included in the base
game box. Who wants a game box filled with dice??

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby DarakuTenshi » July 4th, 2017, 9:46 am

Yeah, I'm with you. I have 8 dice and that seems to work for most cases, but 12 would be even better. Obviously, you can get by with only 6 dice but it is a bit of a pain to be passing them about.
DarakuTenshi

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Decipher » July 4th, 2017, 9:49 am

Goblin-King wrote:All HQ dice I've ever seen look like these:

Please post picture of those square dice. Sounds like fakes?

Edit:

Also I find it impossible to find ordinary red wooden dice in the right size.
Believe it or not, they are actually harder to find than combat dice!

Wait, the movement dice are hard to find too? Hmmmm...... The square combat dice are in storage, I'd have to dig them out. But I'm pretty sure I got them from ebay years ago.

Rewards:
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » July 4th, 2017, 9:55 am

Decipher wrote:Wait, the movement dice are hard to find too? Hmmmm......

You'd think every dice company would be selling these, but they are always either plastic or the wrong size.
Maybe I just suck at being a dice-detective... :bites-lip:

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Decipher » July 4th, 2017, 10:02 am

I have 22 original combat dice and 16 acrylic that are 16mm from Germany. I believe I made a seperate post a while back about the German dice. The dice themselves are very high quality but they do not roll as well as the original HQ dice for some reason. I get more shields than anything else. We have been trying out both dice during our games and keeping track what results are rolled. The old wooden dice roll pretty well for skulls, shields then black shields. But the German dice are opposite.

Torilen, what do you mean by colored dice? I've always wanted Zargon to have 6 to 8 solid black dice with white symbols myself.

Rewards:
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » July 4th, 2017, 10:56 am

I made sure every player has 6 combat dice (all original)
and 2 regular d6 for movement.
These are the same 14mm size as the combat dice and a different color for every hero.
Thus, I have the option to go ahead and use color coding for heroes and their henchmen (marking the base rims somehow).
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion