• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Cheap Modular Board

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Cheap Modular Board

Postby DarakuTenshi » June 22nd, 2017, 10:27 am

I thought that I'd share this with you guys. Obviously it's not completed yet, but I was in need of a modular board for HQ and the one I wanted would be way too expensive for me to build at this time. So I've decided to recreate the board myself piece by piece. I am making the squares a little larger so that it is not overly crowded when the minis and furniture are in place.

Obviously as you look at this it looks as though the pieces are all together, that was just to show you. Each room is a separate piece and the hallways are broken up into sections. I'm also debating on using this for a modular expansion. The expansion idea I have was originally going to be for the regular board, but as I've been doing this I'm thinking about making new rooms for the quest.

Anyway here it is in a reduced resolution so it can fit on your screen...
DarakuTenshi

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Cheap Modular Board

Postby DarakuTenshi » June 24th, 2017, 3:10 pm

This is taking a lot of time. Also having issues with getting the colors the way I want them because of working with overlay's to set the color (to save me time on having to rebuild tiles that are the same as other dungeon tiles, but of a different color).
DarakuTenshi

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby leo » June 25th, 2017, 10:20 pm

Looks Great! Keep up the good work, and keep us posted on your progress.
leo

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby ladybird48 » June 26th, 2017, 1:57 pm

Wow I really like this idea a lot. It has a lot of potential like for instance you could expand the game outside the base games board and make a bigger map to explore on each quest. also you could make different terrain such as a set of cave tiles to build a nice cave system or a forested area. Could also use it for many other things. what exactly are the new tiles made of?
ladybird48

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 4th, 2017, 3:26 pm

It's strange to see Hero Quest without walls, but it's not too hard to see why they aren't represented. A houserule patch would cover their assumed presence between differently colored tiles easily enough. Chaotic Prime, a member who used to post a lot, had created a similar modular board that used scanned sections and walls (I think.) It has since been removed, so I look forward to your progress.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby torilen » July 4th, 2017, 4:05 pm

Looks great. Can't wait to see the final results.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby DarakuTenshi » July 5th, 2017, 8:02 pm

ladybird48 wrote:Wow I really like this idea a lot. It has a lot of potential like for instance you could expand the game outside the base games board and make a bigger map to explore on each quest. also you could make different terrain such as a set of cave tiles to build a nice cave system or a forested area. Could also use it for many other things. what exactly are the new tiles made of?

I'm probably going to use a gaming website to print them for me so they should be put on a board material similar to what the traps are printed on from HQ. I've not gotten that far into researching it. If I fail at finding a site to do it I'll probably print it and mount it on chipboard. But... I was thinking about doing some other sets that would have other scenery as well. I was playing with Google Maps today and found that I could even sample tree textures from there.

Daedalus wrote:It's strange to see Hero Quest without walls, but it's not too hard to see why they aren't represented. A houserule patch would cover their assumed presence between differently colored tiles easily enough. Chaotic Prime, a member who used to post a lot, had created a similar modular board that used scanned sections and walls (I think.) It has since been removed, so I look forward to your progress.

I tried to use a scan to do what I'm doing here, but because of the shadows and the white walls, it looked really bad when I tried cloning different sections. I finally just said, "Forget it I'll just build it from scratch."
DarakuTenshi

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jade » August 8th, 2017, 12:00 am

How's this coming along?
Jade