• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Where does Morcar live?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Where does Morcar live?

Postby Big Bene » May 17th, 2017, 12:10 pm

Yep, that's one of my favorite theories, too.
But, at the end of the day, I think I will stick with two different persons, just because it's simpleness is my favorite feature of Heroquest. I like the generic storyline that is open tó all sides.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby thequester » May 17th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Big Bene wrote:Well, for me, he will always be Mentor, but that's just personal.
What I saw when viewing this image was a depiction of Mentor, reading from Loretome to the heroes about the menance of Morcar, and the monsters swarming from under his cloak depict the grave tale he has to tell (as does his earnest expression). It never ocurred to me that one could see it otherwise, until I found that some (even most) people at the Inn do just that.

Just like I identified what might indicate he is Morcar, I think now I can equally well see how he could be Mentor, it would make a lot of sense if the book was Loretome, and as for the earnest expression - maybe, it's possible.. Another point in favour of it being Mentor is that I think that apart from perhaps his facial expression and the interpretation that he's sending out the forces of evil, his look, otherwise, red cape and white hair/beard, does look too much like a good guy to me... Had they wanted him to look evil, they could have easily made him look more evil (just look at the Chaos Sorcerer and the Gargoyle)... aaaah.. I'm not entirely decided anymore. It's a mystery! :?

Ok, you say this has all been discussed elsewhere :lol:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir!
thequester

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » May 17th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Loretome... another clue. It seems to know what's going on.
That, to me, is everything Mentor feels from Morcar's side, like a residual wavering knowledge of what could happen because it comes from himself...
That's Loretome.

Also, to get back to the canon stuff:
Mage of the Mirror and The Frozen Horror are in my opinion, not canon.
They pull the game from its original background world, not just with including what wasn't Games Workskop "interest",
but also through bad art and bad miniatures.
Nothing about these two expansions fits into anything established by the previous five (including Dark Company).
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby thequester » May 17th, 2017, 4:04 pm

Personally, I don't care so much about what is 100% canon... One could say that the different products are XX% canon... with varying percentages for each product.
I wish all the products were 100% consistent in their fluff, but where they are not, I'm just gonna change a few wordings or names to make everything consistent - for personal use. And that would include tweaking The Frozen Horror so that it feels like it's actually happening in the same world as main HQ, and I would use the background of The Old World from Warhammer as a guide for those tweaks, trying to make The Frozen Horror sound as if it was written by those GW dudes that were part of writing the HQ main set fluff.

As for miniature quality... I'm not an expert. I haven't had Mage of the Mirror minis in my hands, but the minis from The Frozen Horror seem pretty good and HQ'ish to me (except maybe the female barbarian mini, it doesn't seem as "solid" as the original HQ minis). I wonder who sculpted them. Somehow they managed to sculpt the bases the same as the EU bases. But went with different bases for the NA Kellar's Keep (and others, I believe). Why they did that is a mystery to me.

As for the art, here I'm totally not an expert. But it might be that the art of the North American version was styled differently in order to better appeal to the NA market. Then it's maybe just a different taste, and could be a question of what one is used to. I see your point knightkrawler, but maybe that's just because we are both from Europe. If we had been from NA then we might have seen it the other way round.

I think the most important influence on us all here might be what we got used to when we first experienced Hero Quest. In a sense, anything that I got used to during my first years with Hero Quest kinda feel "canon" to me. :lol: Maybe it's the same for others.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir!
thequester

Fimir
Fimir

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » May 17th, 2017, 11:42 pm

j_dean80 wrote:I think you mixed some LotR in there.

Maybe i did.

Goblin-King wrote:Doesn't Mentor explictially say he can't interfere directly or there will be "dire consequences".

I interpret the tone as "... for after all this is not my adventure. I may look in on it again before it is all over, but in the meanwhile I have some other pressing business to attend to."

So if he involves himself directly in your quests, e.g. walks away from Loretome. Then the world will go to crap FAST because the heroes are just one of his many tools. And he is working very hard behind the scenes just to line up your next quest.

At the end of the day "Where does Morcar live?" (e.g. your going there to kill him) is not really a question keeping with the atmosphere of any HQ material I'm familiar with If you want to fight Zargon, just reach across the table and slap him!
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 18th, 2017, 1:25 am

Mentor and Morcar are the same person. Mentor and Zoran are the same person. So how comes we have Morcar and Zargon being different persons? :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » May 18th, 2017, 2:12 am

Anderas wrote:Mentor and Morcar are the same person. Mentor and Zoran are the same person. So how comes we have Morcar and Zargon being different persons? :D

And who the heck is Zoran??? :lol:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 18th, 2017, 5:32 am

oups

I know only Zorgan and Zohan. :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » May 18th, 2017, 5:45 am

So who's Zorgan then?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 18th, 2017, 6:18 am

Zargon.
pf. :p :mrgreen:

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion