• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

How do you handle Gear Swapping?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

How do you handle Gear Swapping?

Postby Jafazo » April 8th, 2017, 7:04 pm

Do you simply allow it or regulate it?

Scenario - A Hero was hit with a spell like Sleep, Command, Fear or the likes that requires a roll of his Mind Points to break. A fellow hero runs up & offers to give the effected hero items that will help him overcome the effects like a Talisman of Lore and such. You realize that anytime a hero is afflicted by such a spell, another hero is running up and trading those same items to the newly afflicted hero. How do you handle it?
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: How do you handle Gear Swapping?

Postby j_dean80 » April 8th, 2017, 7:16 pm

My Heroes do not exchange equipment. Only can exchange potions.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Theduckofdeath » April 8th, 2017, 8:03 pm

:chaoswarrior: According to the rules heros may give artifacts and potions to eachother on that heros turn. I think if,they are exchanging gear it should only be in between quests like purchasing or selling gear.
Theduckofdeath

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » April 8th, 2017, 9:06 pm

Once you get it, it's yours. I don't let the heroes swap equipment, the dice are already stacked against me.
However on a side note if a hero is going to die or needs to be healed (and does not have such gear) then yes, you can share potions or cast a spell of healing, as long as the hero using such gear on a fellow companion is adjacent to them. None of that I'm dying toss me that potion of healing before I hit the floor funny business.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » April 9th, 2017, 12:47 am

Swapping gear is possible only if the receiver still has his action. So no swap in sleep.

Well. That's my system of course. :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » April 9th, 2017, 1:14 am

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqo ... FhLaG9hS1U

"Bonus Action... Sacrifice a rolled movement d6 to... Give/Receive... Weapon/Potion to/from another whilst passing or adjacent. Both may requip for free"

We have a few Bonus actions sacrifice 1d6. Playtesting revealed the need for it to be Give/Receive otherwise it depends which players turn it is on who can give but I didn't want that to be a restriction.

Planning who has what and when can be quite important in some of our Quest. Adds a lot to the strategy.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » April 9th, 2017, 1:47 am

My Talisman of Lore states you can add 2 points to your starting Mind points at the beginning of your quests.
My writing system holds up quite well against smartypantsy interpretation.

Gear Swapping in general is handled by rules for the side action "giving to an adjacent hero" and the hand icon on item cards.
Only cards with a sum of up to two hand icons can be used during a round by the same hero.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » April 9th, 2017, 12:06 pm

Anderas wrote:Swapping gear is possible only if the receiver still has his action. So no swap in sleep.

Well. That's my system of course. :)

And I would rule that the sleeping dude and his gear are going to be at the mercy of his compatriot.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » April 10th, 2017, 10:26 am

Yes great idea :)
So you can give and take from him freely, but he may not use the stuff as he cannot swap. Muahaha I see discussions coming.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » April 10th, 2017, 12:32 pm

I rule that they have to be adjacent to give or take an item but they can't use an item if they didn't start their turn with it unless it;s a one use item. This is needed to prevent the same weapons being used more than once in a round.

Without that rule it could get very silly. If they're in a corridor for example, the rear hero moves to the front and takes and shoots it, the hero who's now at the back moves to the front and takes and shoots it, and so on.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion