• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

What would motivate to collect gold?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

What would motivate to collect gold?

Postby ivan55599 » January 26th, 2017, 7:24 am

As titled. There is no real need to collect gold (read: search for treasure) at this moment of game (playing in Kellar's Keep), because we have pretty much anything we need, until gamemaster decides to use chaos spells (rust) at the start of Return of Witch Lord, and hiring mercenaries in Wizards of Morcar. Nobody want to use throwable weapons, so I've designed to make them one use only per quest (they get dull if thrown, and have to be sharpened between quests). Or they are usable like 2-3 times (once per quest), and then have to buy new one. Only I (as an elf-trickster character siding with Morcar/Zargon sometimes) search for treasure, and I've managed to make dwarf to search for treasures too. When wizard died (by his crazyness for going first in that quest with lots of teleporting mirrors, and ended up meeting with 2 chaos warriors), everybody began to be scared about death, and became very careful what we do (now only I do sometimes crazy things). I'll introduce them today rule, that if you die outside of your friends' LOS, you lose your things and gold, but if not, then other heroes may give them again to the "next" hero. (That should be also a question, that how encourage heroes to be more bravery with their actions?). I should also introduce after Kellar's keep a rule, that only 2 weapon cards (exept throwing knife) can be carried at a same time.

So, what would motivate to collect gold?
ivan55599

Forum Language: English (United States)

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: What would motivate to collect gold?

Postby j_dean80 » January 26th, 2017, 9:42 am

During Keller's Keep there should be the option of Alchemist Shop. It is expensive but does provide the Heroes with healing potions, which should help with the second part of your question.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » January 26th, 2017, 1:06 pm

I think this thread will interest you:

http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=3716

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » January 26th, 2017, 3:41 pm

I have seen players of a one off game do everything they could to up their gold coins discovered count. It is in game gold! It is a measure of wining in some ways. At the end they always compare who got the biggest loot haul, even if they are not playing an extended game.

As a species we decided about 10-12 thousand years ago gold was worth something special. (up until the industrial age its only use was adornment, doesn't make sense)
It has stuck and hard. All human societies have valued gold. It is such a thing socially that gold is worthy of value that all of us will value the stuff.
In game is no different. In game it might just be game gold but it represents wealth.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » January 27th, 2017, 1:52 pm

I always thought the real treasure when searching were the various potions. Players not searching for these... I just don't understand that.

Maybe hand one out in the stairway at the beginning of each quest to have the players realize how great they are and that they should be searching?
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » January 27th, 2017, 4:10 pm

Potions in the pack invaluable, especially the healing ones. I also love the Heroic Brew/Strength combo for a really tough monster. The money is great for mercs, replacement weapons, but mainly the potions from the Alchemists shop. My Heroes are also alowed to train up at the end of a quest pack and it costs them 500gc per training.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » January 27th, 2017, 6:44 pm

If you don't mind going away from strict HQ just a little, you can entice them with custom magical items
and spells. I've got tons, if you go through my expanded materials.

And to get them to those items...I have something I call the Goblin Shop...a "nice" goblin EW character
whose shop is kind of a hole in the wall. He has a magical means of getting back to a very well-stocked
store or town or something like that, and he can get almost anything for the characters...for a price, of
course. I can find the full write up for that, if you want...I thought it was already on here, but I'm not
sure. I know I have the pdf for it on my flash drive, though.

If you want to go further away from strict HQ...you can always add ways to level the heroes up, or train
to increase their abilities and skills and such. OR...if you want to give the players a way to build their
characters' personality, you can give them a home or keep to furnish, and then offer a place for them to
buy furniture, tapestries, paintings, household items and such. You could even offer special clothing for
them to buy to make their character really their's.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Big Bene » January 28th, 2017, 8:49 am

Perhaps it could be considered as a form of "winning" the game. The Hero who collected the most gold in the quest wins the game, if not the EWP won.
Of course :P :p this is very abstract, referring to real world real world gaming rules, :dwarf: with no explanation in game world logic. But it shouldn|t be to hard to find one - perhaps it's just an ancient tradition for "heroes" to compete over the treasure found.

Sorry for the smilies. My three year old was with me at the computer and insisted I must include them.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » January 30th, 2017, 2:46 am

This is part of the reason I adjusted my own armoury.

Like yours, my thrown weapons are (normally) once per quest, then come back. I also added together the UK and US armouries and filled in some "gaps", before changing the price structure. Net result is the KK is more challenging, as they're not fully equipped, and will still be after the gold.

In my advanced system, there are evn more options for purchase, and more gold sinks, so they'll want even more gold!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby ivan55599 » January 30th, 2017, 11:47 am

j_dean80 wrote:During Keller's Keep there should be the option of Alchemist Shop. It is expensive but does provide the Heroes with healing potions, which should help with the second part of your question.

Gamemaster said, that there is no alchemist shop in his Kellar's Keep version (UK). What I know, is that there are shops for frozen throne and mage in the mirror.

I found it interesting, that now when we missed one secret room with 2 healing potions, now the wizard want to search for special treasures/rooms too, barbarian doesn't care too much about those, "I suggest that we should go out of that door" "no, we must search if there is anything special". Now I'm pretty happy about that. But they still don't want to buy throwing weapons, they like meleeing :p
ivan55599

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion