• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Ideas for Bracers/Guantlets/Boots

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Ideas for Bracers/Guantlets/Boots

Postby clmckay » November 27th, 2016, 7:35 am

Hello,

I'm hoping that some of you out there can give me some ideas for additional non-magical abilities for Guantlets/Bracers/Boots.

I'm wanting to expand my line of equipment for the Heroes to include each of those added articles of equipment but am coming up short on fitting ideas. I'd like non-magical because to me, that's the venue of artifacts. I use the color dice, so each color represents a "quality" of armor.

Here's what I have so far, but am not inspired by:

*White Dice*
Leather Boots
Min 4 Spaces Move

Leather Bracers
Reroll 1 attack die when using a bow

Leather Gloves
Reroll failed disarm or tool use roll.

*Yellow Dice*
Mail Bracers
If all three, reroll 1 DD

Mail Gauntlets
If 2nd Hand is empty, reroll 1BS

Mail Boots
??????

*Orange Dice*
Plated Bracers
If all three, 1 extra DD

Plated Gauntlets
If 2nd hand is empty, reroll 1 Defend Die.

Plated Boots
If wearing Plate Armor, may move attack move
Max Move 8

*Gray Dice*
Knight's Bracers
If all three 1 extra DD

Knight's Gauntlets
Reroll 1DD

Knight's Boots
May move attack move

Any ideas? I don't want to add more and more DD ad infinitum (I cap at 6 AD/DD), so I'd like to come up with something that feels like it belongs with the usual complement of defensive equipment (Helmet, Shield, Mail, Plate) and still makes it worthwhile for the Heroes to look into purchasing.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Ideas for Bracers/Guantlets/Boots

Postby whitebeard » November 27th, 2016, 11:56 am

I would reserve move - attack - move for the elf with no / light armor.

Try this. If you successfully defend in excess by 4 shields, you get an extra attack die on the next turn. This number drops as you pair equipment. Or perhaps you heal a body point... not really healing, your armor is just functioning at a higher level and you are that much tougher to finish off.

Also a fully equipped hero might get an extra trap defense... like a black shield roll to avoid each damage point?

Another option is trading defense dice and/or movement for an additional attack/dice. I do this with the elf and the bow.

Perhaps a well outfitted hero can perform an action after killing a monster, such as move one space. Or throw a dagger from their belt (1 attack die) or make a 1 attack die primary weapon attack... lots of possibilities.

My DungeonsDark quest pack introduces many of these in the Rare Weapons and Artifact cards. Search for the thread to see.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » November 27th, 2016, 6:18 pm

Thanks. I like using the trap defense idea. I'm going to work that in to the Boots slot at 1DD, 2DD and 3DD. That's a nice progression and allows for those nasty falling rock traps.

Would like to come up with something like that for the other slots as well. I suppose the rerolling is fine, but it just doesn't feel "natural" to me.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » March 19th, 2017, 9:08 am

Try the Boots topic on for size if you haven't yet.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion