• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest canon?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Which parts do you consider canon for HeroQuest?

Pictures printed in official quest books
18%
White Dwarf
12%
Quest published in other fantasy magazines
5%
The Japanese version of the game system
6%
Marvel Winter Special
13%
Sticker Album
10%
Dave Morris Novels
12%
Advanced HeroQuest
7%
Warhammer Quest
3%
Warhammer Fantasy
7%
HeroQuest 2 Legacy of Sorasil - Amiga game
5%

Total votes : 205

Re: HeroQuest canon?

Postby j_dean80 » October 20th, 2017, 11:21 pm

aaronAGN wrote:Any oldhammer wiki page or a place that has a list of all the world-building and background documents?
Bestiary and mythology?
Like a oldhammer encyclopedia?

http://hobbithole.chez.com/encyc.htm
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby aaronAGN » October 20th, 2017, 11:23 pm

j_dean80 wrote:
aaronAGN wrote:Any oldhammer wiki page or a place that has a list of all the world-building and background documents?
Bestiary and mythology?
Like a oldhammer encyclopedia?

http://hobbithole.chez.com/encyc.htm

Thank you!
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » October 22nd, 2017, 9:55 pm

One of the homemade quests I'm writing has a wizard essentially making a deal with the devil for unparalleled powers.
So I was trying the find what would essentially be the HeroQuest/OldHammer/WarHammer equivalent.

From that list I see Balgorg, One of the six Baalrukh. The only named one of the six. These six being "the foulest most evil most powerful of daemons".

Or I've been considering using Asmodeous from D&D
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jade » October 22nd, 2017, 10:04 pm

Tzeentch, if we're talking sorcerous powers. But you could certainly choose to go for a daemon of Tzeentch if you prefer.
Jade

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » October 22nd, 2017, 10:28 pm

Jade wrote:Tzeentch, if we're talking sorcerous powers. But you could certainly choose to go for a daemon of Tzeentch if you prefer.

I've been looking over the four main Chaos Gods trying to make a decision. Tzeentch would work as a "satan substitute" for lack of a better comparison, because he's the Lord of Lies, Lord of Trickery, etc.
But he might not work. The wizard of my story is tasked with ending all of creation. Bringing about armageddon essentially.
From what I gleamed from "Warhammer Armies: Daemons of Chaos" -
it said that "For Tzeentch, scheming is not a means to an end, it is the end itself.... Tzeentch seeks no ultimatum for his plans, for if he were to reach a true end then what would the schemer do?"

I'm thinking of Going with Malal from WarHammer 1st Edition. Even though he's no longer canon. He's apparently a sort of combination of later Chaos Gods Zuvassin the Undoer and Necoho the Doubter. The Lost God, The Renegade God, God of Malice, God of Anarchy. He seems to be a good fit.
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Cael Darkhollow » November 9th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Goblin-King wrote:
wolfie907 wrote:Promethus was decent better than resurrection surely

Are you kidding me!
Alien Resurrection was good. Not a masterpiece and certainly not the best, but I really don't understand all the hate it gets.

A1>A2>Pred1>A3>Predators>A4>Pred2=AvP>Prometheus>AvP2

I do hope we can at least agree AvP2 is by far the worst! :lol:

:shock:
Let's go A2=pred1=A1>A3=pred2>predators>aCovenant>AvP>AvP2>prom>a4
The first two aliens and first predator are masterpieces, aliens3 and predator2 had their charms, predators and alien covenant were ok, Avp1 and 2 were so so at best, Prometheus was a disappointment and alien 4 was so bad that I own it purely for the sake of completeness and would only watch it again with someone who hasn't seen them all and begged me.
Careful man, with statements like "resurrection was good"
some of could have been sipping a beverage and spit it out all over the computer.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » November 10th, 2017, 6:15 am

I'm with Goblin-King, Alien Resurrection was a decent film and a big improvement on A3. AvP1 was nearly a decent film but was ruined by a few really tacky bits, AvP2 was the worst by far.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Cael Darkhollow » November 10th, 2017, 10:09 am

For me HeroQuest canon is anything published with the HeroQuest logo by Milton Bradley and Gamesworkshop, the developers of the game. So all of the HeroQuest games and expansions, the White Dwarf articles, novels, sticker book, and artwork used in those products including the two Advanced HeroQuest releases and associated WD magazine articles are hard canon. Unreleased material that was in development, and designer notes, sketches and comments would be medium to soft canon as well as licensed HQ material such as video games that were released by a third party if they add anything at all to the mythos. I do not know the status of the Japanese quest book or the Brazilian magazine articles if they were licensed by MB and GW but to my understanding they were either not official or differed drastically from established canon so I feel they are not canon. Fan based material is just that, and certainly is not canon in anyway no matter how clever or well produced. :fimir:
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » November 10th, 2017, 10:53 am

I thought I'd start compiling a list of questionable canon points. Please add any you find and I'll keep this post updated.

Snotlings - Image in KK
Skaven - White Dwarf/AHQ
Trolls - White Dwarf
Vampires - HQ2LoS
Beholders - HQ2LoS
Continent <name> from JP HQ
Mentor is the white bearded wizard - Marvel Winter Special
Morcar is a Dr Doom-esque wizard - Marvel Winter Special
Mentor is a friendly elf like wizard - Sticker Album
Old World Warhammer map - RotLK/Sticker Album

What am I missing?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » November 10th, 2017, 11:45 am

Goblin-King wrote:What am I missing?
Are the novels cannon?
Cael Darkhollow wrote:...It did introduce a few monsters such as:
Banshees
Barrow dwellers (wights)
Undead brides (vampires)
Bats
Ghosts
Mirror demon
Trow
Spriggan
And a magical weapon the sword wraithreaver
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion