• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Definitive, Unofficially Official, HQ Cartography Discussion

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Definitive, Unofficially Official, HQ Cartography Discus

Postby Anderas » Sunday May 5th, 2019 3:17pm

This is the map I presented here in the thread and it is based on Sotiris' Play by post game.

The flow chart on top, I made it when I was waiting for a repair of my car and had an hour to spare.

To answer your question, no I never entered the other quest books, partially because some of them really can't be located.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Lowery_79 » Monday May 6th, 2019 9:55am

First I first seen this post on break at work and when I got home I didn’t think to check for thread pages, so I didn’t see the images on here either. I just thou this was an old topic. I fell rather silly now but thank you Anderas for answering my question anyways, with out poking fun.
Lowery_79

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:

Postby Anderas » Monday May 6th, 2019 10:05am

Clmckay made some nice proposals as to where to put the others. Kellars Keep is findable on the map, but it is just one single location. The Witch Lord is completely off, same with Wizards of Morcar and the Frozen Horror.
I didn't try the mage in the mirror.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Monday May 6th, 2019 3:22pm

Looking over the map some areas I find hard to read, what is the name of the place below quest 7, I believe it is K10 on the grid of Anderas' map?
wallydubbs

Ogre
Ogre

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby Anderas » Wednesday May 8th, 2019 12:31am

I think that's Karak Norn :-)
The original was not much better. Sorry for the resolution :-)

If you want to edit it yourself get the "original" of the first quest book here.
Some way in the north of Karak Norn, I thought would be a good hideout for the lost wizard.
note: That's not anything "real" in the sense of "I found out the truth".
I just thought if I make some kind of overland questing possible, it might be nice to have guys like the fire mage or the lost wizard a little bit outside the normal travel route.

Now you have to find a hint for this quest before you can find the guy himself.
This integrates with my "Map" card that heroes can find in other dungeons.

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Wednesday May 8th, 2019 8:51am

Anderas wrote:If you want to edit it yourself get the "original" of the first quest book here.
Some way in the north of Karak Norn, I thought would be a good hideout for the lost wizard.
note: That's not anything "real" in the sense of "I found out the truth".
I just thought if I make some kind of overland questing possible, it might be nice to have guys like the fire mage or the lost wizard a little bit outside the normal travel route.

Thank you for that option.
I do understand, though, the quest booklet doesn't quite give a setting for the Lost Wizard quest, so Karak Norn seems as good an option as any. As I've modified this quest for my crew and added a bit mor uncertainty and mystery. Instead of having them "find out what happened to Wardoz", and getting 100 gold for a dead wizard; I wanted it to be more of a mystery "someone matching his description has been seen in the area of ____________, accompanied by Chaos Warriors, it is uncertain whether he is with them as captive or companion..." Wardoz's fate would be unknowingly determined by the heroes, as secretly I time them, if they can find him in under 20 turns he'd be alive, anything more and he's a Zombie. (My first group of heroes to play this found him in 22 turns, as it was the last room they checked). Also the heroes would not be able to recognize Wardoz unless the Wizard was present.
I like the notion of timing a quest in # of turns. I do this in Race Against Time and Grin's Crag as well.

The quest booklet does give the location of the Fire Mage in Black Fire Crag. I see, though, that you placed Balur's lair beyond Black Fire Pass... I'm guessing Black Fire Crag doesn't appear on the Warhammer map.

However, upon looking over the map and the end of the first quest booklet I'm suddenly confused:
"The Emperor rode with his army towards Black Fire Pass, that perilous mountain route linking the Empire and the Borderlands... they drew up their battle lines in the grassy plains at the foot of the mountain."
This is where the battle takes place... which now begs the question of how the Emperor and his forces ended up all the way in Karak Varn, which judging by the map, appears to be at least several dozen miles away.

Though I'm not 100% sure on the mileage, am I right on this geography? We're looking at N10 to Q15...
wallydubbs

Ogre
Ogre

Postby Pancho » Wednesday May 8th, 2019 10:16am

Karak Norn was a Dwarf fortress. And was indeed still held by the Dwarves when GW decided to blow up the world.
So I wouldn't locate that quest right there in the fortress itself. In the vicinity could be a good location though.

I'd always assumed that the Emperors army retreated to Kellars Keep after the battle, holding it together just long enough to reach the safety of the Keep with the orcs snapping at their heels.

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Ogre
Ogre

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Wednesday May 8th, 2019 10:22am

Wallydubbs:
In a map like this the mileage is variable I guess. Driven by storyline and dramatic needs it can be different on different days. :-D

Or

The emperor was fleeing after that battle and hid a few dozen miles away, a few days later, in Karag Varn.

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » Wednesday May 8th, 2019 10:25am

Wallydubs, I just read your post again and I think you are looking in the wrong place. I don't think Q10 is the setting for Kellars Keep. I think it's properly placed near the Blackwater (the large lake on the map).
Q10 would be many hundreds of miles away from Black Fire pass (see the scale bar on the map).

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Ogre
Ogre

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Wednesday May 8th, 2019 11:42am

Though it is possible I am wrong, Karak Varn or Keller's Keep isn't marked on this map... however East Gate is in the Q10 area. I must have erroneously construed this with the East Gate from Keller's Keep... there are an awful lot of Karaks in the aforementioned area.
wallydubbs

Ogre
Ogre

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion