• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Definitive, Unofficially Official, HQ Cartography Discussion

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Definitive, Unofficially Official, HQ Cartography Discus

Postby Dezziedc » July 28th, 2019, 1:20 am

Spookyhappyfun wrote:
Weltenlaeufer wrote:This is GOLD spooky! Thanks for all the work and writing it all out!

Thanks! I'm glad you like it and I hope it helps.

Hey spooky, based on the work you have done, does this map align with the terrain you were working with?

http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/shdmotwow-full.html
Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Spookyhappyfun » July 28th, 2019, 10:53 am

Dezziedc wrote:Hey spooky, based on the work you have done, does this map align with the terrain you were working with?

I definitely used that map for some of the locations. It should work well.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Dezziedc » July 28th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Spookyhappyfun wrote:
Dezziedc wrote:Hey spooky, based on the work you have done, does this map align with the terrain you were working with?

I definitely used that map for some of the locations. It should work well.

Thanks. I might just annoy you occassionally to pin point some locations. That map will work well because of all of the homesteads and small location names everywhere. For example, the tower just south of Nuln - obviously on the map there is an opportunity to use the smaller locations to get a more accurate location.

At this stage I'm just looking to map out the original game locations - not the expansions. At least just as a starting point.

The other thing I noted was that the first book doesn't actually align with the maps. Dave Morris mentions that here: http://fabledlands.blogspot.com/2016/12/fellowship.html

He also talks about Games Workshop bringing out their own map for the world. Does anyone know which map he is referring to? Is it the one on the back of magazine (the yellowy coloured one?)
Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Spookyhappyfun » July 28th, 2019, 4:59 pm

I think I used the big map to get precise details on some of them, so if I mentioned a place name, you can probably pinpoint it down to somewhere on the big map. In the case of, say, Mentor's Tower, it wouldn't be on the map, because it's really just like right outside the city wall in my mind, and would be labelled as just part of Nuln on the map.

From what I understand of the novels, Dave Morris came up with his own geography and the map is linked here somewhere. The map Games Workshop brought out, was probably that yellow-y one, but I think really it's just the general map of the Old World. Basically, they let him know, 'Nah, it's not your weird little world you worked on, it's Warhammer. Sorry, dude.'

But yeah, any specific questions about any of my stuff, ask away!

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Dezziedc » July 28th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Spookyhappyfun wrote:I think I used the big map to get precise details on some of them, so if I mentioned a place name, you can probably pinpoint it down to somewhere on the big map. In the case of, say, Mentor's Tower, it wouldn't be on the map, because it's really just like right outside the city wall in my mind, and would be labelled as just part of Nuln on the map.

From what I understand of the novels, Dave Morris came up with his own geography and the map is linked here somewhere. The map Games Workshop brought out, was probably that yellow-y one, but I think really it's just the general map of the Old World. Basically, they let him know, 'Nah, it's not your weird little world you worked on, it's Warhammer. Sorry, dude.'

Awesome. Thanks Spooky. Yeah that's the sort of stuff I'll be clarifying. As you said, most of what you've provided has some very specific detail already so it will only be what's left.

Obviously it's a huge undertaking so I'm looking to try and understand a bit more detail in some of the locations - things like the size and feel of the cities (or larger locations etc) and so on. I won't be including those little locations for a first pass. Just wanting to build in the key areas mentioned in the HQ artifacts. There's a wealth of info in this thread so I should be able to get something out of it.

And yeah, that link outlines some of the information from Dave Morris. He provides 2 maps in that blog - an initial sketch and then a more detailed map. I haven't read all 3 books but he mentions that it's pretty much only the first one that is screwed up. Pretty frustrating when you are reading it and he's talking about locations that are actually on the map but aren't aligning with the positioning that he's talking about!!! Does your head in!!!
Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Dezziedc » July 29th, 2019, 5:06 am

Dezziedc wrote:
Spookyhappyfun wrote:I think I used the big map to get precise details on some of them, so if I mentioned a place name, you can probably pinpoint it down to somewhere on the big map. In the case of, say, Mentor's Tower, it wouldn't be on the map, because it's really just like right outside the city wall in my mind, and would be labelled as just part of Nuln on the map.

Awesome. Thanks Spooky. Yeah that's the sort of stuff I'll be clarifying. As you said, most of what you've provided has some very specific detail already so it will only be what's left.

Obviously it's a huge undertaking so I'm looking to try and understand a bit more detail in some of the locations - things like the size and feel of the cities (or larger locations etc) and so on. I won't be including those little locations for a first pass. Just wanting to build in the key areas mentioned in the HQ artifacts. There's a wealth of info in this thread so I should be able to get something out of it.

And yeah, that link outlines some of the information from Dave Morris. He provides 2 maps in that blog - an initial sketch and then a more detailed map. I haven't read all 3 books but he mentions that it's pretty much only the first one that is screwed up. Pretty frustrating when you are reading it and he's talking about locations that are actually on the map but aren't aligning with the positioning that he's talking about!!! Does your head in!!!

Actually just noticed that that site with the huge map also has some city maps as well. They could be a good starting point.
Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Anderas » July 29th, 2019, 7:00 am

I asked the guy with his huge map a while ago if it is possible to share coordinates like in Google maps. He said it was, but then he made an update and now this function is broken.

Otherwise it could really be cool, just sharing location links... :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Dezziedc » July 29th, 2019, 7:14 am

Anderas wrote:I asked the guy with his huge map a while ago if it is possible to share coordinates like in Google maps. He said it was, but then he made an update and now this function is broken.

Yeah that would be handy!!! Would make things much easier!
Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Weltenlaeufer » July 29th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Spookyhappyfun wrote:
Weltenlaeufer wrote:This is GOLD spooky! Thanks for all the work and writing it all out!

Thanks! I'm glad you like it and I hope it helps.

I love it, really like all the locations. I printed out the World Map (big one green/blue), the Old World Map (medium) and the Empire (small).

I took all your locations and decided on a few locations you havent decided on yet for myself, because it seems there are no hints anyway. I have no background on warhammer, so for me the three maps are just handy Heroquest maps.

Here are a few I chose.

"Race against Time" - Mount of Krell like you proposed

"Castle of Mystery" - I choose Castle Drachenfels for that in the grey mountains

"Bastion of Chaos" - Karaz a Karak, east of black fire pass and close to the silver road

"Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witchlord" - Karak Azul, close to the fire mountain ( I found this is fitting, the biggest evil being close to the fire mountain, lord of the rings style)

"Quest for the Spirit Blade" - at the edge of the Fire Mountain

"Return to Barak Tor" - Karak Azul

"Kellars Keep Expansion" - part of the Underground Fortress of Karak Varn, near Black Fire Pass

"Return of the Witchlord" - Kalos, an underground keep under the ruined city of Morgheim

Really liked all your locations, I gonna try to pinpoint the rest from your list now. :)

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » July 29th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Anderas wrote:I asked the guy with his huge map a while ago if it is possible to share coordinates like in Google maps. He said it was, but then he made an update and now this function is broken.

Just stick a grid on a map and reference it like old fashioned paper maps.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion