• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Definitive, Unofficially Official, HQ Cartography Discussion

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Definitive, Unofficially Official, HQ Cartography Discus

Postby clmckay » July 24th, 2016, 4:43 pm

I use cut ups of the super large map you posted earlier, which were not conducive to posting here. So, I added them to this crappy smaller map. Didn't turn out as nice as I hoped but I think it get the point across so you can add them as desired to your map. Which would be awesome if you posted when it's done.

Against the Ogre Horde

FOrtress in the Pale Sisters MOuntain Area.

Wizards of Morcar

Quest 1: Tower of the High Mage
Tarak Mountains = Irana Mountains
Sarako = Pajena

Quest 2: Crypt of the Necromancer
Shuddering Forests = Marshes of Couronne
Nameless Graveyard = Landrel Barrow

Quest 3: Eyrie of the Storm Master
Dark Mountains = Irana Mountains north of the Blighted Marshes

Quest 4: Lair of the Orc Shaman
Located at the Orc Stronghold in the Massif Orcal

Quest 5: The Final Conflict
Citadel of Darkness = In the Vaults

I think the flow works well, especially since after AtOH you can start the WOM quests and after finishing them you're close to the Elf Forest for the EQP missions.

When I did it, I had the first 4 Quests of WoM all open at once, so it didn't matter which of the four wizards the Heroes went after first. Then all 4 had to be completed before #5 was available.

ATOHWOM-Locations.jpg

Hope this helps.

As a side note, I hate the real world names that GW used in the maps. I just try to avoid using them, especially since I play Carcassonne on occasion.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » August 13th, 2016, 5:32 am

QorDaq wrote:WHAT THIS IS

An effort to consolidate information from the variously published HQ works, so that, ultimately, the Ye Olde Inn community may construct a resource available to everyone who wants to use it.

Ideally, this would include:

- A large-ish World Map incorporating the known locations (and approximating the locations of those that areas that are not known).
- Several Regional Maps more specifically locating areas with multiple adventure sites or places mentioned in flavor text.
- An organized Index of Named Locations and their sources.
- Possibly a timeline?
- And ultimately the creation of a PDF for the Community, dare I hope, to be hosted officially by the Inn?

Thus constructive discussion is encouraged in order to gain some semblance of consensus amongst the community.

WHAT THIS IS NOT

This project in no way is meant to shoehorn anyone into using one single source, and similarly, cannot ever be considered absolute canon.

This is probably not the best place to answer the question; “Which World” Hero Quest takes place in, but rather is an opportunity to fine-tune what we know from the published HQ materials.

The lands of Japanese Hero Quest (1991) and The Legacy of Sorasil (1994) were published Hero Quest releases from licensed, third-party companies. They could be included as regional maps, possibly located on an HQ world map. The lands of LoS appear to belong in the Southlands of the Old World, while the lands of the JA HQ edition could substitute for Nippon. As the Southlands and Nippon were never published in HQ products, the new maps can be overwritten and merged with an Old World map, creating a new, HQ-alternate world map.

Quest Book locations from the JA Instruction Booklet map with parenthetical alternates and additions from DerfelLink, majikayo's and AerynB's JA Quest Book translations:

• map
  • (Fu Yu Islands)- probably full archipelago shown on the map
  • Neef Island- westernmost island, home of Princess Miku
  • (Fyuji)- volcano on Neef Island; the hideout of Berag, a Fimir boss, lies at its base
  • Yushiel (Yushiiru) - land east of Neef Island; home to three fortresses
  • Fortress of Digos (Diegos)- located in the NW of Yushiel
  • Fortress of Pain- located in the E of Yushiel
  • Way- ruined city and land located in central Yushiel
  • Godo Castle- located in SW Yushiel
  • Frozen Ocean (Sea)- waters and ice between Yushiel, Ricarm, the Kingdom of Grimdead, and Feen Island
  • White Mountain- located in the W of Yushiel; site of an Oracle
  • Kingdom of Grimdead (Glindeddo)- central island S of Yushiel and N of Ricarm that is surrounded in ice of the Frozen Ocean
  • (Castle of Dread aka Castle of Fear)- located on the central island, this is Grimdead's fortress; later renamed (Castle of Peace)
  • Ricarm (Ricarum)- land S of Kingdom of Grimdead
  • Ladoll (Radoru)- land of NE Ricarm, abutting the ice that surrounds the Kingdom of Grimdead
  • Spirits (Spirit, the Spirits') Valley- located in W Ricarm; guarded by the Gargoyle Ginimu
  • Black Mountain- site of a legendary treasure guarded by Valor/Bara/Borough the Firemage in central Ricarm mountain range
  • Star Lake- site of a legendary treasure found in W Ricarm
  • Feen (Fin) Island- Island N of Ricarm that abuts ice surrounding the Kingdom of Grimdead; site of a legendary treasure
  • (Temple of Ice)- located on the frozen sea between Feen and the Kingdom of Grimdead; site of a legendary treasure
Other locations from the JA Instruction Booklet map:

• Biala- desert in N of Lushiel
  • Lask- land beyond Spirit Mountains in W Ricarm
  • Zaus- small island N of Ricarm and S of Neef Island
  • Snow Island- small island S of Yushiel that abuts the N ice of the Kingdom of Grimdead

From The Legacy of Sorasil computer game and a translated Polish gameplay guide, and this You Tube video:
  • map
  • Rhia- formally a great empire, now a land of corruption and pestilence; home to Alamon's tower.
  • Shadow Mountains- range separating Rhia from Kolchoth; probably lying to the north of Rhia
  • Kolchoth- former ancient empire of sultans and demi-gods, now a decadent ruin; location of two talismans of lore
  • Garathor- land to the east of Rhia; location of healing Amulet of Tambor-Rin
  • Iron-wood Forest- begotten land of the Elves where the moon casts it's shadow, lying to the south of Garanthor and beyond a plain; location of the Oracle Stone
  • [Alamon's Tower- home of the wizard Alamon; located W of the Shadow Mountains in the land of Rhia
  • Valley of Sorrow- passage through the Shadow Mountains SE of Alamon's Tower; location of the Tomb of Yaserat
  • Tomb of Yaserat (Yaserat's Barrow)- Vampire barrow located in the Valley of Sorrow; guards the pass through the Shadow Mountains
  • Fortress of the Dark Elves- location of the Oracle of Stone artifact
  • Island of Rin- location of Amulet of Tambor-Rin held by a Lizardman clan
  • Castle of Dark Corruption- location of the Staff of Transportation held by Ratmen
  • Sewers of Koth- location of Paravanne, the holy shield of Sorasil, and the Venom Broadsword
  • Kaja-Aldoth- former seat of the Craft Dwarf clan; location of four Cloaks of Warding (guarded by Chaos Dwarves?)
  • Temple of Oblivian- location of Albios, a helmet artifact held by the priest Cathy
  • Temple of Sorasil- location of the Palaestra Scepter and the Staff of Doom guarded by two Hydras
  • Venthrax Castle- home of the Sorcerer Venthraxem, cause of the cursed blight
  • Koloth- land of Legacy of Sorasil adventure? (Doesn't match GK's transcription) -edit]
Nephew of Mentor and Goblin-King know more about The Legacy of Sorasil. I'm just posting stuff found on the Internet from the Wizards Guide.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » August 13th, 2016, 8:52 am

Daedalus wrote:They could be included as regional maps, possibly located on an HQ world map. The lands of LoS appear to belong in the Southlands of the Old World, while the lands of the JA HQ edition could substitute for Nippon. As the Southlands and Nippon were never published in HQ products, the new maps can be overwritten and merged with an Old World map, creating a new, HQ-alternate world map.

I second that.
Adding to that, no Warhammer publication that I know of went into detail about Nippon.
So, any geographical Gestalt of Nippon we might find may be completely speculative, as far as Old Wolrld cartographers are concerned.
Meaning that we could do with its topographical shape what we want.
The scale of the regions on the map of HQ JP seem somewhat right to accomodate for an island roughly as big as real-world Japan on the Warhammer world map.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby clmckay » August 13th, 2016, 10:05 am

This warhammer map in WD shows it over on the right hand side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » August 13th, 2016, 10:16 am

And here's the HQ JP map:
ImageImage

Quite similar shape though with the interruptions from the semi-inland Frozen Ocean.
The Nippon on the WH world map could easily be a speculative version of that, as I said.
Somewhat tilted because of world scale.
Last edited by Daedalus on December 14th, 2017, 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added image link
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » August 13th, 2016, 6:53 pm

As to how that inland Frozen Ocean got there . . .
Godzilla!

He busted Nippon open...Fu Yu, Islands.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » July 15th, 2017, 2:52 pm

I wish the final map had gotten completed. I would keep all HQ names for places. i.e. Tarak Mountains. This is a HQ map afterall. I don't play Warhammer and really don't know anything about it.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » July 27th, 2017, 12:57 pm

j_dean80 wrote:I wish the final map had gotten completed. I would keep all HQ names for places. i.e. Tarak Mountains. This is a HQ map afterall. I don't play Warhammer and really don't know anything about it.

I agree. This is a really cool thread. Shame it died.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » August 10th, 2017, 1:06 am

Well at least I found out about all these lists and maps that were posted here. They'll certainly help as I write my own quests/expansions
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » September 25th, 2017, 8:14 pm

So is there a HQ equivalent to Egypt? Geographically ? Culturally?
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion