• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Trial or The Maze

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

The Trial or The Maze

Postby Helegak3 » June 2nd, 2016, 2:33 am

I've never played either, but what is better, The Trial, or The Maze? Or, is it better to just skip them?
Helegak3

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: The Trial or The Maze

Postby Anderas » June 2nd, 2016, 5:44 am

Forum consensus seems to be that the Trial should be played as 8th or 10th quest, not as first quest. But then it is good.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » June 2nd, 2016, 9:12 am

I actually changed the order of the base quests to better forge a narrative. This allowed me to make appropreate ballence tweaks throughout.

I thus have The Trial as Quest number 11.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 2nd, 2016, 11:02 am

So, how do you guys title The Trial after pushing it back? Sounds a little weak as a title when played so late.
I have nothing against the decision (my reasoning against it laid out below), but the literature B.A. in me cringes at the meaningless title so late in a storyline.

I play The Arena (by Matt Busby, to be found here at the homepage), then The Maze, then The Trial, all three of them without consequences for the long term.
Meaning, a hero who dies in them (which happened in The Trial) doesn't lose anything, he's rather just out for the remainder of the quest.
These three quests and The Rescue of Sir Ragner (sic! - it's a nod to a forum member) build the learning curve that is my first questpack Trials & Tribulations,
introducing rules and gameplay (Arena), the competition/cooperation conundrum and individual play (Maze), all monsters and furniture (Trial), and quest objective intensified (RoSR).
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » June 3rd, 2016, 3:38 am

knightkrawler wrote:So, how do you guys title The Trial after pushing it back? Sounds a little weak as a title when played so late.
I have nothing against the decision (my reasoning against it laid out below), but the literature B.A. in me cringes at the meaningless title so late in a storyline.

I see it as the Heroes final right of passage to prove they are worthy champions. Their final 'Trial' for Mentor before setting out on a life of adventure.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » June 3rd, 2016, 5:08 am

The Admiral wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:So, how do you guys title The Trial after pushing it back? Sounds a little weak as a title when played so late.

I see it as the Heroes final right of passage to prove they are worthy champions. Their final 'Trial' for Mentor before setting out on a life of adventure.

Similarly, i had it written that they have they have to complete X many Quests to become Champions. The Trial is then X+1 quests, litterally, they've earned the right to be Champions, and now here's your practical exam.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 3rd, 2016, 11:17 am

Makes sense. |_P
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 1st, 2016, 4:39 pm

I figure Felmarg's Tomb works when placed several Quests down the line.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Saiyaforthelight » August 1st, 2016, 10:33 pm

In my rewritten quest book it features as quest ten, entitled, 'The Tomb of Fellmarg'. Works really well as a quest at this point. It is do-able with beginner heroes, but it's a challenge. Depends on your gaming group - it could make them want to tackle the HQ challenge (in which case the Rescue of Sir Ragnar is a let down after such a challenge) or puts them off entirely. Either way, I prefer to place it later. Each to their own of course!

Saiya
My rules, modifications, spells and quests: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3380

-Saiya-
Saiyaforthelight

Fimir
Fimir

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Wolf » August 2nd, 2016, 12:00 am

Haven't tried either yet but from what I have seen of both the quests The Trial is better, The Maze is lacking so many monsters. It has what, 5 monsters on the board? Maybe 6.
My campaigns in order of story from left to right:
ImageImage

Wolf

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Game Systems