• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Looting for treasure and the merits of deck stacking.

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Looting for treasure and the merits of deck stacking.

Postby Decipher » August 4th, 2015, 5:09 pm

Again, I've never had this problem. One can always combine two seperate treasure card decks into a single one. This insures there are plenty of treasure and wondering monsters to go around for every room. When I was a kid, my cousin and I would always combine our treasure decks together when we played. That worked out real well.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby cynthialee » August 4th, 2015, 6:24 pm

Well damage is done.
I just need to make extra sure that the deck is well distributed and make assurances to the players that the game where all the wandering monsters happened was a fluke. And before we sit down and play make damn sure the first card isn't the wandering monster! That would make me look like an ass.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » August 4th, 2015, 9:32 pm

Show them the card distribution before you play and have someone else shuffle it. It's out of your hands and they shouldn't be able to blame you for anything.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Lemmeron » August 5th, 2015, 2:59 am

I rekkon you quickly print up a treasure deck of only wondering monster cards and show them to your group and tell the you accidentally used that deck last time, and then bring out the REAL treasure deck...

problem solved :lol:

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Lemmeron

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » August 5th, 2015, 3:42 am

Let them search for a gem that should be here somewhere.... if only someone could remember where.... the quest is successful over when they find the jewel in the boot. :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » August 5th, 2015, 9:50 am

A deck of mostly Nothing would be pretty realistic.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 7th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Since your group no longer wishes to search for treasure, I'd say it's up to you to design some fetch Quests where the stated goal in the Parchment Text describes some kind of treasure (not found in a chest) as the objective. The Talisman of Lore, the Star of the West, and the Spirit Blade are published examples of such treasure. Make sure the Quest treasure is sufficiently hidden so that random Treasure Cards must first be drawn in search of the objective. Also, throw in the occassional potion or weapon in those mandatory fetch Quests, so that the Heroes are guaranteed to be rewarded for searching.

Even if it takes a few Quests, the odds will even out as the better 58% of the Treasure Card deck manifests. The increase of rewards should cure them of their reluctance and infect them with greed. Thusly motivated, they should better understand the benefits of treasure searches and start finding the surprise artifact that they would otherwise miss.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » August 8th, 2015, 1:55 am

She's also handing out some equipment cards before the game so the heroes don't need so much gold

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » August 8th, 2015, 9:31 am

Anderas wrote:She's also handing out some equipment cards before the game so the heroes don't need so much gold

nods...
Gold is mainly to hire any mercenaries encountered in a dungeon.
When I pull a wandering monster for most games I will use a deck of potential bad guys one might find in that particular dungeon. When a wandering monster is pulled I pull a card. Now if the card comes up a mercenary they have a choice, kill the guy or try an buy him off. To buy the merc off the hero must end adjacent to the merc and pay him the gold piece cost listed on the card. Then I roll a Combat Dice. If I roll anything but a Black Shield, you have hired a merc. If I roll a Black Shield I decline the offer and take a free attack with the merc. If you buy the merc off, he is now your Henchman.
Gold is also useful to buy any gear or potions you simply must have.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » September 17th, 2015, 4:34 pm

This weekend will present itself with a new chance to play our favorite board game.
The challenge will be to go into an ancient crypt to recover one of the Sprit Blades. (There are a few of them around. But they are either owned or lost in dungeons.)
When we start the game I will state that "the catacombs you are in are stacked with bones everywhere. Whenever a 'Wandering Monster Card' is drawn the Hero is attacked by a easily defeated partial skeleton and they will lose 1 Body Point."
Basically they are searching through the catacombs and say an arm connected to a rib cage grabs the hero, or a skull bites them or a leg in the pile kicks them. The bones are easily smashed in instinct reaction and the players turn ends.
That way they do have a real and serious hazard, but they won't end with a serious problem like they have been dealing with.

As for the Spirit Blade, it is for their next mission when they will attempt to face the Lich Thandis once again.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext