• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Introducing HQ to new players

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Introducing HQ to new players

Postby lucasdp » September 21st, 2015, 2:08 pm

I recently unearthed my old HeroQuest from my equivalent of "mom's attic" and am re-entering this fun world and hoping to bring some friends along.
As a teen, I only ever played the official quest book, but have now discovered all the great resources here. I will be starting up a campaign soon with friends of varying RPG experience. None have played HQ, but some have played D&D and others. At least one has never played RPGs at all, but is excited to join.
Anyway, I really like the "beginning" quests on this site, Busby's Arena and the Maze (which I never played on my US version). However, I wonder if running my heroes through the Arena > the Maze > the Trial might be too much "beginner" stuff. Has anyone tried this? Or, does anyone have any other suggestions for starting new campaigns with brand new players?
Also, first post! w00t! Thanks for having me! If there's a better place for this, or an existing thread on this topic, please let me know.
Last edited by lucasdp on September 23rd, 2015, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Introducing new players

Postby EvilWizardCharacter » September 22nd, 2015, 8:36 pm

I just played with a pair of younger cousins for the first time, and I found that "The Maze" and "The Trial" back-to-back worked to introduce most of the game's core elements in a challenging and enjoyable fashion. "The Maze" is pretty easy, but the thrill of having to figure everything out by yourself intensifies every decision. "The Trial" is actually quote difficult, and quickly teaches Heroes the value of working together. I've always thought "Sir Ragnar" works well as a third quest in this vein too, as it's not too difficult, but adds a unique quest element.

I envy you guys just starting your journey!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
EvilWizardCharacter

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Introducing new players

Postby lucasdp » September 23rd, 2015, 12:02 pm

Thanks for your input! I was thinking the Maze looked really easy, so I'm glad to hear that it can still be fun.

Busby's Arena looks like a fun introduction as well, but I think playing all three "beginner" quests is probably unnecessary. Has anyone played the Arena? Any thoughts on it?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion