• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

*Ahem* ...Space Crusade?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

*Ahem* ...Space Crusade?

Postby sorcerersapprentice » September 12th, 2015, 7:40 pm

What's the general feeling here regarding Space Crusade - you guys ever play the futuristic stuff or prefer to stick to magic and swords?
Something Wicked This Way Comes...

http://gametilewarehouse.wix.com/rpgtilesupply
sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: *Ahem* ...Space Crusade?

Postby mitchiemasha » September 13th, 2015, 12:19 am

Not played it but I intend on buying a set for the collection. Space Hulk, different story. As a young teen swords and magic was seen as bad, yes we did turn out backs on HQ but guns and space was not. 1st edition with both expansions was the game!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » September 13th, 2015, 3:03 am

I love SC. I bought the game and both expansions a couple of years ago.
Actually that's where most of my painting hours goes these days. I think Space Crusade is actually gonna be the ONE game where I actually paint everything.
It DOES have the advantage of having a more limited amount of minis. The blips sort of makes it unattractive to really add anything.

The 14 goblins are gonna be a pain to paint... why are there so many!

I also got the 2014 edition of Space Hulk. I've gotten a couple of games in, but honestly I think SC is just the more fun game.
SH takes a lot longer to play, yet are not much more strategic as you still loose to bad rolls. And the setup time! Gyeaaarch!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » September 13th, 2015, 9:54 am

I prefer the fantasy setting over sic-fi myself.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby alyndavies » September 13th, 2015, 12:35 pm

I have 2 box sets of it in our caravan but it's been decided that were going to go through the entire hero quest series first. We done the initial quest series, Kellers keep, return of the witch lord and Frozen Horror, so only a few more expansion left before we start playing it properly.

I have played the first 2 quests of Space Crusade with the girls and they seemed to enjoy it. I will post the progress of our space crusade games on this forum if the admins allow me after I have finished the hero quest series.

As for the game itself, I have always enjoyed it, basically it changes some of the faults of heroquest and solves them. I know the game designer of heroquest and space crusade said on youtube that he prefers the space crusade game of the two.

The "blip" idea kind of works because people learn the placement of monsters on quests they have done before, where with the blips it's always random so each time a mission is done it's a new challenge.
alyndavies

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » September 13th, 2015, 2:52 pm

Space Crusade also fixes the problem with players wasting turns by introducing the "Alien Event" deck.

The BIG flaw in SC's design is that every mission basically feels the same.
Sure the tiles can be arranged differently, but quite frankly it doesn't really affect anything.
The objectives are also different, but again it's basically kill and avoid dying. The objectives are pretty interchangeable.
The only big deal is the Alien Player's strategy. But that is independent of the mission.

In fact it would be extremely easy to make a random mission generator for SC.
Randomize the setup and rotation of the tiles.
Random primary and secondary missions.
Random player entry points.
Random reinforcements.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » September 13th, 2015, 3:15 pm

If it starts feeling a bit samey... Space Crusade on this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G7jU_WvREA

Now that's going to be some set up time. Set up can be as much of the game as the game.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » September 13th, 2015, 3:40 pm

Not in a million years! I think Space Hulk takes too much time to set up! Can't imagine setting THAT up :lol:

But even if the missions aren't that memorable, the fun really stems from the Alien Player's strategy anyways.
In a way he is designing rooms on the fly. Let's put a lot of goblins in this room... How about popping the dreadnought from the beginning!... Decoys! Decoys everywhere!

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby sorcerersapprentice » September 13th, 2015, 9:32 pm

I really enjoyed it myself too - switching between guns and lasers and magic and swords wasn't a problem and I really liked the Dreadnoughts and the wide doors, some of them with blastholes in them. bad-ass.
I'm thinking of doing some tiles for this. Haven't tried my hand at spacey stuff except for the Mos Eisely Cantina map and might give it a go.
Something Wicked This Way Comes...

http://gametilewarehouse.wix.com/rpgtilesupply
sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby alyndavies » September 14th, 2015, 4:04 am

mitchiemasha wrote:If it starts feeling a bit samey... Space Crusade on this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G7jU_WvREA

Now that's going to be some set up time. Set up can be as much of the game as the game.

Yes that's probably a very fair comment, the other thing you could say is equipment was always more important that the order cards yet the order cards were always the hard ones to get. Also the single marine with the bolter was always pointless. While the Blood Angles were always the most superior of the 3 marine forces, while imperial fists were very weak.
alyndavies

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion