• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

List of Necessary Components

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

List of Necessary Components

Postby Tomkat364 » August 2nd, 2015, 7:39 pm

So I now have all the figures from KK, RotWL, WoM, and AtOH. I need to print out cards and tiles for a lot of this, so I had a few quick questions...

1.) The cards that are available in the forums... how many can be should at one time? For example, both KK and RothWL have Heal Body scroll artifacts. Artifacts are generally assigned to specific chests or scripted events, as I recall from the base game. Should I be making two of this card (one from each), or only one?

2.) Treasure and Equipment cards... My base game did not have equipment cards. Were there more than one copy of each piece of equipment? For example, if more than one person bought a crossbow, were there multiple cards, or was the card only used to give the 'store' information? Were there more than one copy of each potion card? Lastly, were all the treasure cards supposed to be expansion specific, or did they all just get added together into one big treasure deck?
Tomkat364

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: List of Necessary Components

Postby Anderas » August 3rd, 2015, 12:00 am

Basically, it's up to you.
Sorry for that answer, but this is Heroquest - highly modular, customizable, and that is your version.

The north american version was the version that was developed the furthest, and there was no equipment card anymore. On the other hand, equipment cards are easier to expand, exchange, better customizable... back to the top sentence. Up to you. :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » August 3rd, 2015, 8:21 am

Yeah, basically what Andreas said...

The UK/European versions came with equipment cards and if I recall correctly two cards with the helmet.
This would suggest that there only exist a set amount of equipment. Once the crossbow has been bought, there are no more crossbows...
But this is only ONE of many interpretations...
Compare this to the NA version where you just buy from the store and write down on your character sheet...

A lot of the specific rules are just horribly vague...
No matter how much you just want to play by the official rules you are forced to make some judgement calls and house rulings yourself, simply because the game doesn't tell you how to handle a lot of situations.

The same goes for expansion stuff.
If you own the expansions are Mercenaries available right from the first quest?
Can you use WoM spells right off the bat?
Are all the alchemist's shops available anytime?

To those questions I'd say that if you see the expansions as one progressive story:

Game system --> KK --> RotWL --> AtOH --> WoM...

...then the content of each expansion becomes available once you actually reach said expansion.
Once you reach WoM you can start using the new Spells.
But this is as much a house rule as anything else... Just how I do it.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Tomkat364 » August 17th, 2015, 10:04 am

Another question: (I don't want to look through the quest books and spoil anything) The Men at Arms and Ogres from the elf and barbarian quests... do you need additional models if you have AtOH and WOM? in other words, does any mission in the elf quest use more than 4 ogre warriors?
Tomkat364

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » August 17th, 2015, 11:40 am

MotM only came with the 4 ogres, so I would assume that would be enough.
But of course that depends on what you consider enough... Kellar's Keep requires 30 orc or something for certain quests if you assume the potential situation where all monsters are discovered and none killed.

I'd say you are good to go ogre and men at arms wise if you own AtOH and WoM.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 28th, 2015, 3:55 pm

Tomkat364 wrote:So I now have all the figures from KK, RotWL, WoM, and AtOH. I need to print out cards and tiles for a lot of this, so I had a few quick questions...

1.) The cards that are available in the forums... how many can be should at one time? For example, both KK and RothWL have Heal Body scroll artifacts. Artifacts are generally assigned to specific chests or scripted events, as I recall from the base game. Should I be making two of this card (one from each), or only one?

2.) Treasure and Equipment cards... My base game did not have equipment cards. Were there more than one copy of each piece of equipment? For example, if more than one person bought a crossbow, were there multiple cards, or was the card only used to give the 'store' information? Were there more than one copy of each potion card? Lastly, were all the treasure cards supposed to be expansion specific, or did they all just get added together into one big treasure deck?

I'd have to echo what Anderas and Goblin-King advised. To that, there's also this to consider:

1.) As Heal Body occured in both Quest Packs, that could indicate it is more commonly found than Pass Through Rock, a Spell Scroll only found in RotWL. If you choose to print out the duplicate Spell Scroll Cards, you will end up with a case-by-case representation of individual Spell Scroll rarity. Some members have creatively used such a deck in random treasure draws or for purchase using homebrew rules.

2.) According to the HQ page at Boardgamegeek, the UK/EU 2nd edition has only one copy of each equipment card. The UK/EU 1st edition has cards for all equipment found in the 2nd edition but the bracers and cloak of protection. However, the 1st edition does contain two copies of the helmet and shield. Last, the UK/EU Adventure Design Kit came out with a new character sheet. Rules for its use allow a player to buy pieces of equipment for which there are no spare cards. Using all available UK/EU resources, the equipment cards can be used to store information like the US Armory...if you like.

WoM lists 8 Treasure Cards in the contents section. My scans shows 6 single potion Treasure Cards and 2 Magical Trap cards. In other words, there are only singles of each potion card. Likewise, the EQP contains a single potion Treasure Card. The BQP, however, contains doubles of each of the three potion Treasure Cards.

AtOH and WoM didn't direct how to handle the cards. How to handle new Treasure Cards is covered in the EQP and BQP if you care to apply their rules. They both talk about gameplay differences in the pack at the beginning. The EQP instructs that its new Treasure Cards are to be mixed into the Main Game System Treasure Card deck for play with the Quest Pack. The Barbarian Quest Pack does the same. That would indicate the pack-specific Treasure Cards are used for the respective expansion only, as said gameplay differences aren't mentioned for other Quests.

However, both the EQP and BQP also talk about replacing the respective male Hero with a female figure. References to Elf or Barbarian are specified in those rules as applying to their female counterparts in the Quest Packs, not Quest Pack. I'd say that could allow you some flexibility in creating an all-inclusive Treasure Card deck if you didn't want to use Rules As Written.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion