• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Limited Armoury

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Limited Armoury

Postby drathe » March 14th, 2010, 7:55 pm

In various places I've read that in the European Edition, the Equipment is limited by the number of Equipment Cards. Thus, there is only one Longsword and one Crossbow to be had by all the players. I've yet to come across this rule in the European Manual and it seems unlikely that this is the case given the Elf and Dwarf begin with 2 Attack Dice for their Shortswords. However, I'm curious to know what a game of HeroQuest, running through the full Game System would be like with the Heroes only being able to purchase one of each piece of Equipment from the Armoury. There can be duplicates as some weapons and armour are discovered as treasure throughout the Quests. Still, I'd like to try limiting the Armoury some day. Unfortunately, my HeroQuest gaming has been nil for the last couple months and I've been unable to start a new group (been trying for a year now), so chances are slim.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Limited Armoury

Postby polymathis » March 15th, 2010, 9:34 am

That is indeed the case in the UK edition. The characters have a certain number of attack and defence dice based on their starting character boards, but these are not explicitly linked to any form of equipment (no mention of shortswords etc). The only way to adjust these dice is buy or find equipment - and one knows who has the equipment by who holds the equipment card, effectively limiting the armory to the number of cards. The effect is to make the game harder by limiting the ways of improving your character, but this is balanced against the lower monster body points in the European edition. Almost eveyone I know scraps the rule and writes the equipment on the back of the sheets however!
polymathis

Goblin
Goblin

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby HeroQuestFrance » March 17th, 2010, 11:44 am

I always considered that the equipement cards don't belong to players.
It's just a "demo" with illustration, price, effect of the item and all heroes could buy a long sword for instance.
The card was just a kind of reference sheet. It makes non sense into a village/town to not buy many shields helmets etc
That's what the french rule book says I believe...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
HeroQuestFrance

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » March 18th, 2010, 11:49 am

But you do have 2 shields,2 helmets and 2 short swords all in one set of cards, so it suggests that's all you're allowed. But like polymathis says, everyone justs writes the equipment on the back of their sheets and forgets the cards anyway.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » March 18th, 2010, 10:11 pm

Ah, but that's just the first edition that has 2 shields and such. The later versions have only one of each in the equipment deck. I don't see why they couldn't each have one, but I would like to try having a limited armoury at least once, just to see how it goes.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion