• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest 25th

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: HeroQuest 25th

Postby Jerry Hawthorne » July 3rd, 2014, 4:01 pm

I've been looking over the 25th stuff. Looks like a bunch of great additions. I think most people aren't aware of these efforts. I want to shine the light on this kind of long term fan involvement. I just bought a new mint copy of HQ with mint copies of the first 2 expansions. These will replace my tattered copy from 1990. To think we have stayed fans for so many years.
Jerry Hawthorne

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sjeng » July 3rd, 2014, 4:06 pm

Yup, it's that good ^^

I've been reposting my blog reports over at BGG, and the reception there was amazing! Lots of likes/thumbs, and nice replies too. Oh, and I did a review of M&M too, which also got received quite well!
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 4th, 2014, 4:10 am

Jerry Hawthorne wrote:Hey guys, I have been asked to write an article about HeroQuest in observance of its 25th anniversary. Basically, it is a round table discussion by modern game designers, reminiscing about the impact of HeroQuest on the boardgame industry.

I tried PMing drathe to see if there is anything special I can include from the Heroquest community, and I want to direct attention to the fan sites that still support the game. As some of you know, I have been a fan of HeroQuest for many many years, and was an active member of Agin's Inn. My passion for all things Heroquest lead me to my professional involvement with Hasbro, and was my inspiration for creating Mice & Mystics.

If there is anything you guys can think of that would benefit the HeroQuest community, please let me know.

Glad to hear the news, thanks for posting. I think it's worth mentioning our international involvement. Recently the Japanese rules have been successfully translated. The Quest Book is underway, to be followed by the cards. I think Champion of the Empire is worthy of mention. Our English localization (begun at Old Scratch) of ghan's French expansion is mostly complete, though there is some finalizing still in process. The Brazilian Hero Quest has some magazine publications that were discovered, though drathe is still working on Google-transtlating that. Also, though not part of the Inn, there was a French fan who made a slick Beastman Quest Pack.

One thing I wish would be discussed would be the chance that the Dwarf and Wizard Quest Packs would see release. The 4-ups were made, and being G-bob from Old Scratch you probably know who has them. If some of the old Heroscape crew are there, ask if the 25th anniversary petition swings any weight with Hasbro's decision process. The petition stirred up a hornets' nest of controversy with the Spanish remake. If Hasbro would licence the DQP and WQP work officially, I'm sure there would be strong support.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » July 4th, 2014, 7:34 am

Daedalus wrote:One thing I wish would be discussed would be the chance that the Dwarf and Wizard Quest Packs would see release. The 4-ups were made, and being G-bob from Old Scratch you probably know who has them. If some of the old Heroscape crew are there, ask if the 25th anniversary petition swings any weight with Hasbro's decision process. The petition stirred up a hornets' nest of controversy with the Spanish remake. If Hasbro would licence the DQP and WQP work officially, I'm sure there would be strong support.

THIS! I won't use the word "demand", but we demand to finally see a release of DQP and WQP!
A kickstarter would be funded within the hour! |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby HeroQuestFrance » July 4th, 2014, 8:17 am

You've been asked to write an article...
You're professionally involved with hasbro...
1 + 1
Is this connected and is this maybe something like a part of market research?

Nope about an Hasbro's hope if you were thinking about this.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
HeroQuestFrance

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jerry Hawthorne » July 4th, 2014, 10:10 am

Daedalus wrote:
Jerry Hawthorne wrote:Hey guys, I have been asked to write an article about HeroQuest in observance of its 25th anniversary. Basically, it is a round table discussion by modern game designers, reminiscing about the impact of HeroQuest on the boardgame industry.

I tried PMing drathe to see if there is anything special I can include from the Heroquest community, and I want to direct attention to the fan sites that still support the game. As some of you know, I have been a fan of HeroQuest for many many years, and was an active member of Agin's Inn. My passion for all things Heroquest lead me to my professional involvement with Hasbro, and was my inspiration for creating Mice & Mystics.

If there is anything you guys can think of that would benefit the HeroQuest community, please let me know.

Glad to hear the news, thanks for posting. I think it's worth mentioning our international involvement. Recently the Japanese rules have been successfully translated. The Quest Book is underway, to be followed by the cards. I think Champion of the Empire is worthy of mention. Our English localization (begun at Old Scratch) of ghan's French expansion is mostly complete, though there is some finalizing still in process. The Brazilian Hero Quest has some magazine publications that were discovered, though drathe is still working on Google-transtlating that. Also, though not part of the Inn, there was a French fan who made a slick Beastman Quest Pack.
Yes! This is very good to show the loyal nature and creative spirit of the Heroquest community.

One thing I wish would be discussed would be the chance that the Dwarf and Wizard Quest Packs would see release. The 4-ups were made, and being G-bob from Old Scratch you probably know who has them. If some of the old Heroscape crew are there, ask if the 25th anniversary petition swings any weight with Hasbro's decision process. The petition stirred up a hornets' nest of controversy with the Spanish remake. If Hasbro would licence the DQP and WQP work officially, I'm sure there would be strong support.
I know a lot about this, but I don't think this article will impact those kinds of decisions at Hasbro. I will use this space here to give you all my opinion:

The HQ 25th kickstarter was a scam by a company that was looking for a KS money grab. Pure and simple.

Just because something funds quickly and even overfunds, doesn't mean that Hasbro would see it as profitable. Even if Hasbro does see it as a viable product, doesn't mean that the retail outlets will agree. The big box retailers basically tell Hasbro what they want on the shelves. Their vast sales data can reliably predict sales performance and Hasbro needs TONS of sales to make games worhwhile. In the years that Heroquest was on the market, it was consistently out performed by RISK, Scrabble, Monopoly, Battleship and Sorry. These are the facts.

Selling expansions to a game that is out of print would never fly with Hasbro or the big retailers. They also do not use 3-ups anymore as far as I know. I've visited the plastics portion of the Hasbro compound. They sculpt in exact scale these days. The fact that those 3-ups are in the hands of fan insiders is an indicator of their confidence in these products.

If Heroquest was released today, the game would cost around $80. Oil prices and the resulting spike in plastics makes these kinds of games very expensive. Big retailers will not carry games that cost more than $40. I know because I have retailers interested in M&M but the price is too high. Heroquest would need to be produced by the Hasbro hobby subsidiary WOTC, and they will NOT do anything that competes with their beloved D&D.

That's my take on it.
Jerry Hawthorne

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby gootchute » July 4th, 2014, 11:14 am

Jerry Hawthorne wrote:Their vast sales data can reliably predict sales performance and Hasbro needs TONS of sales to make games worhwhile. In the years that Heroquest was on the market, it was consistently out performed by RISK, Scrabble, Monopoly, Battleship and Sorry. These are the facts.

Selling expansions to a game that is out of print would never fly with Hasbro or the big retailers. They also do not use 3-ups anymore as far as I know. I've visited the plastics portion of the Hasbro compound. They sculpt in exact scale these days. The fact that those 3-ups are in the hands of fan insiders is an indicator of their confidence in these products.

If Heroquest was released today, the game would cost around $80. Oil prices and the resulting spike in plastics makes these kinds of games very expensive. Big retailers will not carry games that cost more than $40. I know because I have retailers interested in M&M but the price is too high. Heroquest would need to be produced by the Hasbro hobby subsidiary WOTC, and they will NOT do anything that competes with their beloved D&D.

That's my take on it.

This is the reality we try to ignore on a daily basis as we continue thinking about, and creating expansions for our beloved game! As far as we are I am concerned the legal quagmire of 4 competing companies would ruin any legitimate attempt to resurrect the game, and I am just fine with that. We keep it alive.

Edit: congratulations for all your success with Mice and Mystics by the way! Maybe you could make a stand alone expansion/starter with a $40 price point to get more exposure... ;)
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » July 4th, 2014, 11:32 am

Jerry Hawthorne wrote:The HQ 25th kickstarter was a scam by a company that was looking for a KS money grab. Pure and simple.

|_P
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » July 4th, 2014, 3:30 pm

*like*
Jerry, exactly what most of us think.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby sajungzak » July 4th, 2014, 7:11 pm

knightkrawler wrote:
Jerry Hawthorne wrote:The HQ 25th kickstarter was a scam by a company that was looking for a KS money grab. Pure and simple.

|_P

|_P
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion