• Advertisement

I made this Horn for the Armory - Now what should it do?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: I made this Horn for the Armory - Now what should it do?

Postby Sjeng » Friday January 17th, 2014 7:31am

Those are some pretty good ideas for a warhorn toting hero's skills! Or perhaps a Bard! I love the draw agression idea.

RPG Gateway Die Roller's 100

Uncle Zargon
Wants YOU!

HeroQuest YeOldeInn

Image Image Image Image

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby gootchute » Saturday January 18th, 2014 12:37am

Oh I like the taunting idea, would be good for the barbarian to draw the monsters to him so the rest can attack without fear of retribution (or run a way).
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Redav » Saturday January 18th, 2014 2:00am

Maybe lesser monsters in the same room or corridor are affected? Say goblins lose their turn and orcs lose their attack?
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby JasonMCM » Saturday January 18th, 2014 3:05am

Here goes my idea
War Horn
May be blown any time that you could
drink a potion. Until the beginning of
your next turn whenever a hero that is
in the same room or corridor as you
rolls combat dice, count the first black
shield rolled as a success.
May only be used once per quest.
Cost: 200 gold coins

Anyone like it?
Also if you do, is the wording acceptable?

And I probably would remove the "Toot Toot" from the picture if I was going to use it. :D
Do you PBP? I do. See my exploits below.

Amy the Amazon
Interactive HeroQuest
Sir. Jason the Champion
Trapped in the Dark
Swiftfoot the Elf
The Dark Company
Zargon the Evil Wizard
Core Quests Redone

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
JasonMCM

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sotiris » Saturday January 18th, 2014 4:28am

Another Idea
You can use this war horn instead of attack. It reduces 1 attack die from all visible and within your full-Body-area monsters (by hearing). Maybe it should not apply on undead.
Terror possess instantly a monster who hears a war horn because he's expecting to see more enemies. That's why it reduces their attack will. Horns, as said before, are used mainly for signals. Of course no extra hero/mercenary appears so at the next turn monsters attack normally and cannot be frightened again by this ..trick. So a war horn has no effect if used twice against the same monsters. Also you can add the de-buff of -1 def die if -1 att die isn't enough.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » Saturday January 18th, 2014 1:11pm

JasonMCM wrote:Here goes my idea
War Horn
May be blown any time that you could
drink a potion. Until the beginning of
your next turn whenever a hero that is
in the same room or corridor as you
rolls combat dice, count the first black
shield rolled as a success.
May only be used once per quest.
Cost: 200 gold coins

Anyone like it?
Also if you do, is the wording acceptable?

Personally I wouldn't use the wording 'any time that you could drink a potion'. Just use similar wording to the potion cards i.e. 'May be blown at any time....'

Also, I would be more inclined to add an item like this as a Quest Treasure instead of as part of the armoury.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » Saturday January 18th, 2014 3:10pm

With this horn, I'm trying to walk a fine line, I guess. Something that's common, but isn't too spectacular or require complicated rules. Like the tool kit, but for interacting with monsters, or trying to call for help. I wonder if rolling a red die when you blow the horn to determine the effect is too complicated? Maybe 4 or so outcomes could happen, each being one of the best ideas here.

I'm trying to expand the ways heroes can interact with monsters, while still keeping that "HQ" feel. I've added Parley, and the players are into it, also I get to bleed some of their body points when things don't work out!

This will need some fine-tuning, but I think it could be a fun option for players who want to play their hero as a pacifist, or as an "other" to the typical wizard or warrior options. HMMM... *puts on biggest thinking cap*

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby GimmeYerGold » Saturday January 18th, 2014 7:47pm

Here's something I thought of:

Blowing Horn - 225 Gold Coins
"This musical instrument gives you the attack strength of 2 combat dice. You may blast sound at any one monster you can “see.” However, each hit results in 1 Mind Point of damage. The monster defends normally. Cannot be used against Mummies, Zombies, or Skeletons."

And my rule for zero mind points: "If a Hero or Monster has zero Mind Point, he is in shock. He cannot attack or defend, and rolls 1 red die for movement. Monsters can only move half their movement, rounded down."

Nerfed the "area affect" ability to simplify it. Argument: directly targeting an acoustic assault would be more effective to a monster's senses than just a general trumpeting in the air, and more harmful in a visceral way.

There might be some perk to parleying with a monster in shock, perhaps you get to bypass the hazard cards and draw the first "good" card. Would be funny to have a monster in shock join your party though :) just a walking vegetable, but hey, makes for a good humanoid shield.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Redav » Saturday January 18th, 2014 11:36pm

How about it's The Horn of the Dead (it took several marketing pow-wow's to think up that original name). It causes zombies to halt (confusion), mummies to halt (subject to a combat dice, black shield = success because ears are wrapped up) and inflicts a defencible skull against skeletons (attempting to cause bone to resonate and shatter).
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Thursday February 27th, 2014 5:56pm

Surely the call of a horn would alert the local monsters:

Horn
250 gold coins
Search For Treasure

Blowing this horn attracts a Wandering
          Monster. After it is killed, you may search
          its corpse. Draw one Treasure Card. May
          only be used once per room.

EU version: "May only be used once per room or corridor."
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion