• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Appearance of Orcs (and other Goblinoids)

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: How do you like your orcs?

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » June 10th, 2014, 4:14 pm

what about stuff like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » June 10th, 2014, 4:45 pm

The first and fourth look like what I think of when I hear Dark Elf. So, no, not for me, those ain't.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » June 10th, 2014, 4:53 pm

or there are things like this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » June 10th, 2014, 5:16 pm

or here is a selection

Rewards:
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » June 10th, 2014, 5:40 pm

I like this look

Rewards:
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Elf Blade » June 10th, 2014, 7:45 pm

I always go with the HeroQuest style as it was the first I was exposed to. I have some (non-proven) theories about this style of Orc. My theory is that this style was easier to cast in plastic. Metal Citadel Orcs in the early to mid 80s had a more rounded and gangly appearance, whereas the three plastic Orc sets of the 80s (Drastik Plastik in 1986, HeroQuest in 1989 and Space Orks in 1989) have a much more bulky, square appearance with less details that I'm guessing was easier to cast using the plastic casting technology at the time.

My second non-proven theory is that this style of Orc was spread to other settings by artists who had worked for GW. For example John Sibbick, who painted the covers for 3rd edition Warhammer and 1st edition Warhammer 40,000 in 1987, also did the interior art for the Fighting Fantasy book Crypt of the Sorcerer later that year, and he drew the Orcs in the book in the GW style.
Elf Blade

Hero:

Postby Daedalus » June 10th, 2014, 10:00 pm

This discussion is worth having again, but would be more complete with a link to Appearance of Orcs (and other Goblinoids).
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 11th, 2014, 2:01 am

Better yet to just melt it into it.
As I didn't read the thread from the beginning, I honestly thought it WAS that discussion anyway. It fades on nicely.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » June 11th, 2014, 11:59 am

I have found a few more variations on the orc theme, what are y'alls opinions?
Should re-name this post the orc gallery, or orcopedia!

Rewards:
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » June 11th, 2014, 12:22 pm

Frankly, I don't like any of those in the least.
The picture above the last shows almost good Ogres, but there are no Orcs in all of those.
I see LofR movie mask derivatives, I see the creatures from The Descent (British horror movie), I see scrawny degenerated vampires but certainly no orcs.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion