Roleplay book for Heroquest?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Roleplay book for Heroquest?

Postby The Road Warrior » Sunday April 13th, 2014 9:08am

Would anyone be interested in playtesting the melee tournament I am planning on adding to this roleplay book?

Last edited by The Road Warrior on Sunday April 13th, 2014 9:47am, edited 1 time in total.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Postby Daedalus » Tuesday April 15th, 2014 10:33pm

How are you planning to run posting deadlines?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Wednesday April 16th, 2014 1:48am

The Road Warrior wrote:I'm looking for more ideas of playable encounters. Does anyone have any?
Skirmish: The heroes get caught in the middle of a skirmish between empire soldiers (men-at-arms) and green-skins. By helping them defeat the green-skins 1-3 (maybe D3) of them join the party.

Hidden Crypt: The heroes stubble on a hidden crypt and can choose to explore or ignore it. Use the central room of the main board and one of the thin corridors leading to it. The heroes start from the edge of the board at the end of the corridor. Roll a combat dice. On the roll of a skull roll a combat dice and a standard dice. On the roll of a skull place that many skeletons along the corridor, on a white shield that many zombies and on a black shield that many mummies. On the roll of a white shield there are no monsters. On the roll of a black shield roll of a black shield roll a combat dice and a standard dice twice and follow the rules above. When they open the door to the crypt place the tomb in the centre of the room and repeat the rules used in the corridor. When they open the tomb roll a combat dice. Skull = random treasure. White shield = nothing. Black shield = Liche.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2454

Wanna learn martial arts? Check out my youtube channel, tutorials coming soon. By far my most popular video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6BkN-3E

Gateway to higher dimensions - DMT, Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtT6Xkk-kzk

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » Wednesday April 16th, 2014 4:14pm

Daedalus wrote:How are you planning to run posting deadlines?

When I get bored of waiting for the next person to post I will amuse myself by inventing some scenario that screws them over, then let the next person in line know that it is their turn. Does that sound fair?

Are you going to enter?

Gold Bearer wrote:Skirmish: The heroes get caught in the middle of a skirmish...

Hidden Crypt: The heroes stubble on a hidden crypt....

Thanks Gold Bearer. I'll add these in over the weekend. Maybe they will inspire me to put a bit more work into this myself.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » Thursday April 17th, 2014 12:25pm

Wolf Pack: The heroes get attacked by a pack of hungry giant wolves. (Could also have spiders, scorpions, snakes, big cats, bears, whatever, if you're going beyond the official releases.)

Chaos Ritual: The heroes encounter a group of chaos cultists who are trying to summon a demon, and they succeed if the heroes don't kill them all in time.

Big Monster: Roll a dice; Hiffogriff, Griffin, Wyvern, Manticore, Hydra, Chimera.

Mountain Cave: Roll a combat dice; Skull = Dragon + Treasure, White Shield = Treasure, Black Shield = Dragon.

Pit Fighting Arena: One or more of the heroes can choose to take part in an underground no holes bared tournament to try to get the winners prize. (Basically like your melee tournament accept it could include orcs, chaos warriors, etc.)
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Wanna learn martial arts? Check out my youtube channel, tutorials coming soon. By far my most popular video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6BkN-3E

Gateway to higher dimensions - DMT, Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtT6Xkk-kzk

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » Friday April 18th, 2014 1:50pm

Skavin Ambush: Using the outdoor template from ATHO place the heroes in the centre squares. The evil wizard player rolls a combat dice and on the roll of a skull rolls three standard dice, on the roll of a white shield two standard dice and on the roll of a black shield five standard dice to determine how many skavin clanrats there are. The evil wizard player gets the first turn and can bring on the skavin with the first movement square on any squares around the edge.

Skavin: A2 D3 S10 B1 M3 Can attack diagonally.

You could allow any hero who wins your melee tournament to compete in the coliseum if they're in a city. Same principle but harder to win and with bigger prizes and more opponents. Maybe make a tough gladiator class. This could be turned into a kind of quest. They need the magic item first prize for another quest. If they fail in the arena they have to try to steal it.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » Monday April 21st, 2014 1:09am

The Road Warrior wrote:
Daedalus wrote:How are you planning to run posting deadlines?

When I get bored of waiting for the next person to post I will amuse myself by inventing some scenario that screws them over, then let the next person in line know that it is their turn. Does that sound fair?

Are you going to enter?

Sure, I'll throw Kili in there. It should be fun to see what happens if I can't make a post in time.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » Monday April 21st, 2014 7:30am

Daedalus wrote:Sure, I'll throw Kili in there. It should be fun to see what happens if I can't make a post in time.

Thanks Daedalus. I was going to throw a trollslayer into the mix myself....

Still room for at least one more entrant. Is anyone else interested?

Rewards:
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Spookyhappyfun » Wednesday May 23rd, 2018 3:46pm

Daedalus wrote:Advanced Heroquest used a simple table between expeditions. Some could be translated to Hero Quest, it's spiritual--but more successful--little brother. They are town-related, rather than focused on travel.

RANDOM EVENTS TABLE
Roll wRandom Event wwwwwwwwwww..ww
2-4 mNo event.
5 mIllness: One of the Heroes (decide randomly) is struck by
man illness. Unless he visits the Healer and pays 100 GCs, he
mhas to miss the next expedition.
6 mInjury: A nagging reminder of the previous expedition is
mcausing a random Hero pain. Roll 3 damage dice against
mstarting Toughness, and that many Wounds are lost before
mthe expedition starts.
7 mTrouble With The Law: If any Hero is carrying Greek Fire,
mthe local Watch takes exception to the fire risk. Each Hero
mwith Greek Fire is fined 30 GCs per flask.
8 mGratitude: The locals have collected 50 GCs in thanks for
mthe monsters you have killed so far.
9 mTithe: Pay 10% (round up) of all money banked with a
mmoneylender as a tithe to the City Fathers.
10 mReplace Weapons: A randomly-selected Hero has found
mone of his non-magical weapons to be damaged. He must
mpay to replace the most expensive weapon he owns (or lose
mthat weapon).
11 mRobbery!: All money left in lodgings is stolen.
12-13 mNo event.
14 mPickpocket: A random Hero loses 25% (round down) of
mthe GCs he carries (ie not in lodgings or banked).
15 mHenchman Retires: A random Henchman takes his pay
mand retires.
16 mMan-at-Arms: A Man-at-Arms offers his services to a random
mHero free of charge for one expedition.
17 mJealous Ruler: The city's ruler demands the 'gift' of a
mrandom magic item from a random Hero. The chosen Hero
mcannot refuse.
18 mPreparedness: Your last visit cost the monsters dear. They
mdetermine to be better prepared next time. The GM may
mstart the expedition with 2 dungeon counters.
19 mRisk Money: For each Henchman who died on the last
mexpedition, all Henchmen currently in employment with
mthe Heroes demand an immediate risk bonus equal to their
mpay. You must pay this or lose them.
20 mIt Doesn't Pay To Be Famous: From now on, all cost of
mliving expenses are doubled.
21 mMap For Sale: The GM must offer you a treasure map for
m400 GCs.
22-24 mNo event.

This is pretty great and I'm really sorry that I missed The Road Warrior's stuff in here. What an excellent booklet! I only wish it was in a Word doc so it could be further edited and adapted.
My Quest Book Edits - In Progress
My Quest Locations - In Progress

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion