• Advertisement

Roleplay book for Heroquest?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Roleplay book for Heroquest?

Postby The Road Warrior » Saturday November 9th, 2013 10:05am

Travelling

After completing a quest the Heroes must travel to a village, town or city to recuperate before beginning their next adventure. They should begin travelling with the same BP, MP and spells cast as they finished their last quest.

Before beginning their journey the Heroes must consult a map and decide where they want to travel to.

The nearest village will be 1d6 days travel.

The nearest town will be `1d6 + 1 + the distance to the nearest village.

The nearest City will be 1d6 + 2 + the distance to the nearest town.

e.g.

village = :roll4: = 4 days travel
Town = :roll4: + 1 + 4 days travel to nearest village = 9 days travel
City = :roll6: + 2 + 9 days travel to nearest town = 17 days travel

The evil wizard now rolls 2d6. This represents the number of days the Heroes travel without event. Subtract this roll from the number of days travel to the Heroes chosen settlement. If the total less than or equal to 0 the Heroes have reached their destination safely otherwise roll an event*. After the event has been resolved the evil wizard repeats this process until the Heroes' remaining days travel is equal to 0.

* events will be rolled on a d66 in the same way as the WHQ roleplay book.

E.g.
The evil wizard rolls:
:roll6: :roll5: = 11 days without event.
If the Heroes are travelling to the town or village in the previous example they have reached their destination without event. If they are travelling to a city they must now roll (and play through) an encounter.

Example Encounters
I would like as many playable encounters as possible. Here are two ideas.

The Black Knight

Set up the Surface tile and Pit Room tile as shown in the diagram below.

The Chaos Warrior represents a Knight that refuses to allow the group to use the bridge unless one of the Heroes beat him in single combat. Once the Heroes have chosen a champion to face the knight the chosen player and the evil wizard each roll 1d6 with the highest roll moving first. The Black Knight has the following stats:
Movement: 2d6
Attack: 3
Defence: 4
Body: 3
Mind: 4
The fight continues until the Hero or Black Knight are reduced to 0 HP.
If the Hero wins the group may continue across the bridge on their journey. If the Black Knight wins he restores the BP of the Hero that fought him with a health potion that restores 1d6 Body Points. The Heroes must add 1d6 to their journey as they look for another route around the chasm.

Goblin Archers (Adapted from chaoticprime's post)

Set up the surface tile as shown in the following diagram with the Goblins on the raised cliff.

The Heroes are ambushed by a group of goblin archers. They must cross the surface tile under fire from the goblin archers beginning on the two squares marked with a cross and exit the board on the right hand side. They may not enter any square that the river is on. Play through this event in the same way as a normal quest except the Heroes may only attack the goblins with crossbows.
Alternatively, the Heroes may decide this encounter is too risky for them in which case they must add 2d6 days travel to their journey.

I'm looking for more ideas of playable encounters. Does anyone have any?
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby poopgrinder » Sunday November 10th, 2013 12:24pm

I like that set up there. I think I will try that next time I play
poopgrinder

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Postby knightkrawler » Sunday November 10th, 2013 12:39pm

The Road Warrior wrote:I'm looking for more ideas of playable encounters. Does anyone have any?

Any open skirmish against warbands, bandits, or a big monster on an open area, like the whole game board or part of it as one single "room"/"battle arena".
That's just a vague idea, but the things you could do...

The outcome will determine with what equipment and which spells and with how many Body (or Mind) points the heroes embark on the next (easy quest).
You could also take any quest, determine in which room a hero enters that quest depending through which "door" he fled (left the skirmish) in a not so eays skirmish setting (too many foes or a freakin' dragon, maybe).

Like it's an underground cave the size of the whole board where a dragon lives and smacks the heroes around a little so that they all have to escape, and not all of them through the same door. Put at least two doors in there. Each one door leads to a specific room in the next quest, one of them to the staircase.

This scenario is doable for many quests.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » Sunday November 10th, 2013 7:38pm

knightkrawler wrote:
The Road Warrior wrote:I'm looking for more ideas of playable encounters. Does anyone have any?

Any open skirmish against warbands, bandits, or a big monster on an open area, like the whole game board or part of it as one single "room"/"battle arena".
That's just a vague idea, but the things you could do...

The outcome will determine with what equipment and which spells and with how many Body (or Mind) points the heroes embark on the next (easy quest).

This is exactly what I will be trying to do with this. I would prefer to take the players favourite weapon/artefact from them and make them save to buy a new one than provide them with progressively stronger weapons to spend their gold on.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » Monday November 11th, 2013 9:42am

Road Warrior - you add a map with that so the heroes can choose where they want to go,
adapt your means of determining how long it takes to get places, and that is a great system.
I may have to use that for myself, should I ever get a group together.

You will definitely be seeing that in my future quest packs.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby el_flesh » Monday November 11th, 2013 8:16pm

Our group definitely allows the purchase of health potions in town.
These encounters are in fact woven into the quests - travelling to town and even to a dungeon would be a quest of its own!

Check my Sat dungeon thread...
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » Wednesday November 13th, 2013 8:03pm

Here is the first draft of chapter 1 of my Heroquest Roleplay Book

I still need another 10-16 encounters for the Hazard table. I'm trying not to just copy the WHQ Hazards table :?

torilen wrote:you add a map with that so the heroes can choose where they want to go,
adapt your means of determining how long it takes to get places, and that is a great system.

I'm actually trying to avoid using a real map. If I were to use one it would probably be this one and I'm not sure how to go about adding villages and towns to it. Perhaps chaoticprimes system would work better with a map :?:

el_flesh wrote:Our group definitely allows the purchase of health potions in town.
These encounters are in fact woven into the quests - travelling to town and even to a dungeon would be a quest of its own!

Check my Sat dungeon thread...

You will be able to buy potions in town with my system. But you will have to find a potion shop first ;)

Your dungeon thread is awesome. I'm not sure you still play HQ though looks like a lot of (great) house rules are being used.

EDIT: updated link to latest version
Last edited by The Road Warrior on Saturday November 30th, 2013 7:41am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » Wednesday November 13th, 2013 8:11pm

That book looks awesome, road warrior. I'm looking forward to printing it when you are done.

Question, you mentioned BigBene's four fat pigs...where is that?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » Wednesday November 13th, 2013 8:19pm

torilen wrote:Question, you mentioned BigBene's four fat pigs...where is that?

I think he keeps them in his bedroom :lol:

Rewards:
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » Thursday November 14th, 2013 1:40am

Awesome. Continue.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion