Roleplay book for Heroquest?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Roleplay book for Heroquest?

Postby torilen » Friday September 20th, 2013 4:46pm

Well - first to answer your question as to what to do. You have everything you need to play right here on this site.
All of the rules, the quests, the tiles, etc. Only thing you'd be missing are the 3-d furniture pieces and the minis.
The furniture is not completely needed, and you can use anything for minis, if you really want to play and you have
players who are ready to go, as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now - for the travel information. I put something together for you - sort of mixed the rules I use for my expansion on HQ,
with a little bit of D&D, while looking at the warhammer quest rpg a bit, as well. You can use it, or not...it won't hurt my feelings
if you don't like it. :) I just ask that you read through and see if you like it...take pieces from it if you don't like it all.

A link to the rpg book I found is at the very end.

TRAVELLING

Movement
20 miles per day by foot (8-10 hours travel)
40 days per day by horse (8-10 hours travel)
Rough terrain -5 miles by foot; - 10 miles by horse
Thick Forest -5 miles by foot; -10 miles by horse
**Chance that horse may not be able to move through thick forest
Hills -5 to 10 miles by foot; -10 to 20 miles by horse
Mountains - it is very difficult to move through mountains
unless there is a trail and passes through which to travel

Typically, in highly civilized areas:
Cities are hubs of society
Towns are roughly 15 to 20 miles away from a city
Towns are roughly 15 to 20 miles away from one another
Villages will be within 5 miles of any town or city

A city will have 2-4 towns associated with it
A town will have 4-6 villages associated with it
A city will have 6-8 villages associated with it
**Half of these will be the same villages associated with the towns

Typically, in uncivilized areas:
There will be two major cities at most, usually only one
A city will have 2-3 towns associated with it, no more than 10 miles
away - most towns will be walled and gated
A town will have 3-4 villages associated with it, no more than 3
miles away - if a village has a high population or is wealthy, it
will have a wall and a gate - poorer villages might have a heavy
fence.

Encounters
rolls:
1d2 = 1d6, 1-3/4-6
1d3 = 1d6, 1-2/3-4/5-6
1d4 = 1d6, 1/2-3/4-5/6
1d5 = 1d6, 1/2/3-4/5/6
1d6 = regular roll
Number of based on terrain
Grasslands - daytime 1; night time 1d2 (0 or 1)
Hills - daytime 1d2; night time 1d3 (0 or 1 or 2)
Forest - daytime 1d2; night time 1d4 (0 or 1 or 2 or 3)
Swamp - daytime 1d3; night time 1d4
Mountains - daytime 1d3; night time 1d4
**NOTE - not all encounters must be combat or lethal encounters.
For example, a night time encounter in a forest might be as simple
as a fox family passing by. Of course, if no watch has been set,
the foxes might carry off food or other items, or might bite a hero,
in which case there will be a chance of disease (rabies)
**NOTE - encounters might be normal hazards, as well. For example,
in a swamp an encounter might be quicksand, or some strange fungus
growing on the ground, completely blocking the movement of the
heroes.
**NOTE - If you wish to increase the number of encounters, be sure
to use more non-combat, non-lethal encounters. This can be done to
increase the amount of role-playing in the game, or in order to
increase the feeling of the area in which travel takes place...to
give more atmosphere to the game

Getting Lost
In civilized lands or areas of which the heroes possess a well-made
map, the chance of getting lost is very low.
In the wilderness and in areas that have not been mapped out, the
chance will be higher, especially if the sky is clouded over or if
there is heavy fog, and the heroes cannot see the sky to determine
their direction.

Make a getting lost check every 3 hours of travel

Chance of becoming lost in wilderness:
Grassland - 1d6, roll of 1 is lost
Forest - 1d6, roll of 1-2 is lost
Thick Forest - 1d6, roll of 1-3 is lost
Low Hills - 1d6, roll of 1-2 is lost
Large Hills - 1d6, roll of 1-3 is lost
Swamp - 1d6, roll of 1-3 is lost - make this roll every time the
...heroes have to backtrack, as well as for regular times to roll
Mountains - as swamp, except make check every 2 hours

Any time the heroes become lost, the Evil Wizard should secretly
change the direction of travel by 45 degrees.
If travelling, then go:
N = NE or NW
NE or NW = N or East/West
E = NE or SE
W = NW or SW
SW or SE = S or East/West

In Settlements, purchasing goods:
A rule of thumb might be: For every 100 gold in the cost of the item,
there is a chance that the settlement won't have it.
Villages = up to 100 gold, they will have it.
Villages = maximum 400 gold
Towns = up to 200 gold, they will have it.
Towns = maximum 600 gold
Cities = up to 300 gold, they will have it.
Cities = maximum 800 gold

Roll 1d6:
1 = +100 is available
2 = +200 is available
3 = +300 is available
etc.

If an item is not available, there can be a wait time to have it
delivered, or to have it created.

If having an weapon created, it will typically take 2 days
If having an armor created, it will typically take 3 days.
This is assuming the blacksmith is adequately skilled. Lesser
skilled blacksmiths will increase this time by 4 hours at a time
per drop in skill level (to be determined by Evil Wizard)

To have a weapon repaired, it will typically take 1 day
To have an armor repaired, it will typically take 2 days

Be sure to take into account that heroes will need food and water
during their travel on the road, and will need to have room and
board while in settlements. The cost for all of this will depend
on how much treasure you give out to your players. A good rule
of thumb would be to decrease their gold on hand by 2% per day,
either for the cost of food and water needed for travel, or the
cost of room and board in a settlement. If they wish to have very
fine surroundings, and eat very fine food, this could be as much
as 5% to 7% per day.

Use this link for ideas for hazards and encounters...both for
road travel and while in settlements. ideas start on page 15.
http://users.telenet.be/WHQ_TheHouse/Do ... 0v1.01.pdf

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Postby Patroclus » Friday September 20th, 2013 6:16pm

Very good job torilen!

I’ve just checked how far is the Black Fire Pass(Fire Mage quest) from Nuln(a city-state of the empire), and it is 300 miles! Or else 15 days by foot or 7 days by horse. This means 15 encounters in daytime and let’s say half encounters in night time. It’s 22 encounters. It’s too much for me. I will choose to roll a 1d6 (for daytime) together with a 1d4 (for night time) per day, and if I score a 1 in one or both dices then I’ll have an encounter.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » Friday September 20th, 2013 6:32pm

chadwarden wrote:...
One more thing: I'm going to play solo mainly. The .doc file I gave in first post allows that.

I’ve also post some “solo rules” in the forum, but I believe if you want to play the game just use the original quests, and move the players as if they were real players. It’s the closest feel to the real thing.

It’s what I do when I am making new quests (and I have time to spend) and I could say it has some fun, especially when I am playtesting bosses and I am trying to think what players do… of course sometimes I roll dices to help me out, but in most cases the common sense shows the way.

HQ is as we say an “open source” system. Create your own quests (share them :P ) and when you’ll find a group you will have lots of playtested quest to have fun with.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby torilen » Friday September 20th, 2013 7:45pm

I am not sure where exactly they can be found - someone had posted, at some point, a set of cards that
created the ability to play heroquest solo style. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Or am I just crazy?

Patroclus - yes, it would end up being a lot of encounters - but the over-land travel would be one full quest
by itself, in that case. Compare 22 encounters to some of the quests in KK or RotWL. Nearly every room has
some sort of monster in it in some of them. It would just be a matter of making them interesting enough to
turn the encounters into one coherent quest...you would need tiles and 3-d stuff to create the encounter settings,
and maybe special character monsters to make it seem like a quest.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » Saturday September 21st, 2013 12:01am

Overlanding

Overlanding rules are used when a party of Heroes wishes to undertake a journey going from their current physical location, to a different physical location, by foot or on horseback.

Traveling this way chiefly considers the distance intended to be crossed, and not the time spent in doing so. The length of the journey is measured by leagues-of-travel (3 mi or 5.5 km, how far a man can walk in an hour). Realistically, an athletic human can travel ten leagues in a single day, but only if you do not consider the perilous possibilities a fantastical world-setting can provide.

While Overlanding, Hero Players and the Evil Wizard player continue to alternate taking turns as normal. The actions available to each, however, is much different. You should use the Surface Tile for appropriate Occurences, if possible.

Heroes, on your turn you may do one of the following:

> ADVANCE: You boldly lead the party onward. Roll two red dice and add each of their results together to determine how many leagues in distance the party travels. If the total result rolled is higher than your maximum Body Points, you take one Body Point of damage from the effort. Rolling any set of "doubles" results in leagues in distance traveled as usual as well as one Occurrence. See below for possible Occurrences.
> PUSSYFOOT: You lead the party onward stealthily and with caution. Roll one red die and use the result to determine how many leagues in distance the party travels. This action, however slow-going, removes the possibility of rolling "doubles" and setting off an Occurrence.
> HALT: Instead of moving onward towards your destination, you order the party to stop and rest. When you take this action, each of the Heroes regains 1 lost Body Point from having rested.

On the Evil Wizard player's turn, he may do one of the following actions:

> STAGE AMBUSH: You send a gang of monsters out, ahead of the Heroes, to surprise them in an ambush. You begin Overlanding play with six Ambush Counters (represented by Skull Tokens). Each time you attempt this action, regardless of its success or failure, you must discard one Ambush Counter. The Hero players must elect only one Hero to act as scout. Next, roll two red die and add your current total number of Ambush Counters to the result. The Hero chosen to be the scout must then roll two red die and add their current Mind Points to the total. If your roll is higher than the Heroes' roll, you successfully ambush the Heroes. If your roll is lower, however, it means that the Heroes' discovered the ambush and were able to evade it entirely.

If successful, place down the Surface Tile and have the Heroes arrange their figures anywhere in the first row of any one edge (all four Heroes must begin on the same edge). You may then obtain a number of monsters as if you had just cast the Chaos Spells Summon Orcs or Summon Undead--whichever is your choice. Place each of the monsters on the board next to the Heroes of your choice and have them each immediately make an attack against them. Play then behaves identically to Quest mode, starting with your actual turn and then alternating back-and-forth, until either all Heroes or all Monsters have been killed; or until all Heroes have moved off of the Surface Tile to escape.

> LAY MISDIRECTION: You conjure forth beguiling spirits that assume mundane forms capable of hindering the Heroes' progress. You must choose which Hero to be affected by the misdirection. On that Hero's next turn, he must roll one red die. If the result is below his current number of Mind Points, he is not fooled by the spirits' plot and continues his turn normally. However, if the red die result is equal to or above his current Mind Points, the hero must Advance by rolling two red dice, but must subtract the result from leagues in distance traveled. Each Hero may only be the subject of this action once during each Overlanding session, regardless if whether or not it succeeds or fails.

OCCURANCES

Roll = 1/1, a sudden melancholy
The Heroes' turns end immediately, turning to the Evil Wizard's next turn.

Roll = 2/2, a secret stache
You stumble upon hidden treasure; roll two red die and multiply the result by ten, and then gain that many gold pieces.

Roll = 3/3, lost in a forest
You must roll one red die, and add the result to the distance in leagues you have to travel to complete your journey.

Roll = 4/4, a traveling peddlar
You cross paths with a traveling peddlar. You may purchase items from the Armoury as if you were visiting a town.

Roll = 5/5, a thief in the night
A thief sneaks into your camp in the middle of the night and steals one one piece of your equipment, determined at random.

Roll = 6/6, a wandering marshall
You encounter a mendicant lawman patrolling the highways for wrong-doers. He is friendly, and can help you in two ways. He can either return any piece of equipment stolen away by a thief in the night, or add one red die roll to the total leagues of distance traveled.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » Saturday September 21st, 2013 9:07am

I've got to look at your occurrences a little more closely, but chaotic...I love these rules.
They fit right in with HQ, being so simple. Great job.

Kinda jealous I didn't think that up. Guess my mind is forever clouded with D&D. :lol:

Rewards:
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby chadwarden » Saturday September 21st, 2013 9:36am

Thanks, you are very kind. These rules look good, are they supposed to be played on some map with a grid or hexagonal?
It would be good to have WHQ Rulebook pdf, but I guess the scans are not legal. Though I know copyright laws on this are unreasonably strict.

About printing, nah, I want the furniture. I've recently printed one game in printing house, it's called Barbarian Prince, and the effects are nice, but it was very troublesome. (This is how this game looks like: http://ja.gram.pl/upl/blogi/714770/img_ ... plarge.jpg )

I like torilen travel rules better, but I would probably simplify some things to make it like in Descent 2ed. For example rules about getting lost need a lot of dice rolling in this form. I think I would include "getting lost" as one of the possible events/hazards on the road. Also construction of the map could look like this: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_c ... -large.png But with more settlements. As you can see, between locations there are some icons. They represent which type of hazard from the card can occur, depending on terrain. Maybe it's too simple system though, I will think about it. If I will have a mood for typical wilderness exploration I could even use Barbarian Prince board. :) This game is indeed very modular!
Last edited by chadwarden on Saturday September 21st, 2013 2:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
chadwarden

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby Sjeng » Saturday September 21st, 2013 10:50am

Sjeng wrote:if you want the digital roleplay book from WHQ, check the blog in my signature. ;)

*COUGH*

RPG Gateway Die Roller's 100

Uncle Zargon
Wants YOU!

HeroQuest YeOldeInn

Image Image Image Image

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby chadwarden » Saturday September 21st, 2013 12:33pm

Sjeng wrote:
Sjeng wrote:if you want the digital roleplay book from WHQ, check the blog in my signature. ;)

*COUGH*

Yes, I know, and torilen gave direct link. I still expressed my doubts.

On topic of buying HQ, one seller agreed to ship it for about 17 pounds, but half of the miniatures are painted, and probably not very professionaly, I think I will pass on that, there should be more auctions soon, since there are four now.
I once bought Descent 1ed and some miniatures were half painted, and it looked really crappy, especially among unpainted ones.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
chadwarden

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby torilen » Saturday September 21st, 2013 3:03pm

chadwarden - that simple map would be perfect, really. Simple is always a good way to go with
HQ. You could mix that sort of overland map with chaoticprime's rules to allow for the hazards
and occurrences at the proper points.

The only thing to remember with something like that - it doesn't allow for as much exploration.
Its more like the difference between super mario bros. 2 and the original zelda. Zelda allowed you
to walk wherever you wanted to walk. SMB2 gave you specific trails to follow.

That does keep players on track a little better, however, and gives clear points where something
MIGHT happen (doesn't have to happen...cards would work good here...perhaps treasure, perhaps
meeting, perhaps monster ambush).

Each style has its benefits and drawbacks. It is just a matter of what you and your play group want,
and what you have time for.

Rewards:
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion