Inspired by Hero Quest, a game for Android and Windows Phone

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Inspired by Hero Quest, a game for Android and Windows P

Postby nante » Wednesday May 14th, 2014 10:51am

Goblin-King wrote:
wraeccan wrote:Maybe a synopsis of what kind of spells are available to each set during character creation?

Spells AND abilities. Good call wraeccan, that was on my list too, I just forgot it again |_P

Another question: the creators of all the custom material you can find in your website (quests, tiles, heroes other stuff) are still around? I wouldn't mind paying something to get some fresh made tilesets, items or other stuff. I cannot afford custom made graphics, so if someone is still alive may be interested :chaoswarrior:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
nante

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Goblin-King » Wednesday May 14th, 2014 1:52pm

nante wrote:
wraeccan wrote:Maybe a synopsis of what kind of spells are available to each set during character creation?

[LAZY MODE=ON] Shouldn't this be part of the game experience? In most RPG your first character is a bit messed up cause you don't know how to correctly mix stats/abilities. Then you restart with the right mind. [LAZY MODE=OFF]

Something I didn't think about is if spells should be chosen only once per adventure, or they may be changed. Now that all the quests are in the same adventure, having to restart could be a problem.

Nice try ;)
But really... The spells are available from the start. You can view them immediately once you enter a level.
There's no gameplay reason to keep them secret. Especially when you are stuck with your choice throughout the entire campaign.

Also does certain pieces of equipment exclude each other? I can't equip the helmet and bracers on the fighter at the same time.
If this is the case you should either clearly state "can't be used with..."
OR
Only have very few armor types. e.g. Helmets, Body armors and Shields. Then it would be more clear why you can only equip one of each type.

If you are looking at some specific tiles on this page you should contact the uploader directly.
How much stuff do you need?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby nante » Wednesday May 14th, 2014 10:14pm

Goblin-King wrote:
nante wrote:

[LAZY MODE=ON] Shouldn't this be part of the game experience? In most RPG your first character is a bit messed up cause you don't know how to correctly mix stats/abilities. Then you restart with the right mind. [LAZY MODE=OFF]

Something I didn't think about is if spells should be chosen only once per adventure, or they may be changed. Now that all the quests are in the same adventure, having to restart could be a problem.

Nice try ;)
But really... The spells are available from the start. You can view them immediately once you enter a level.
There's no gameplay reason to keep them secret. Especially when you are stuck with your choice throughout the entire campaign.

Also does certain pieces of equipment exclude each other? I can't equip the helmet and bracers on the fighter at the same time.
If this is the case you should either clearly state "can't be used with..."
OR
Only have very few armor types. e.g. Helmets, Body armors and Shields. Then it would be more clear why you can only equip one of each type.

If you are looking at some specific tiles on this page you should contact the uploader directly.
How much stuff do you need?

I see what you mean, it's just a bit complex to put such a view in the hero selection screen. Anyway, with the guy who's helping me designing the gameplay, we're thinking about having less spells at the beginning (maybe just one category), then get more slots once the hero level increase. It's still work in progress.

With regards to the weapons, there's actually a category for each piece of equipment (you can see it under or over the equipment name). Cannot remember what they are (I think weapons, armors, amulets etc.). You can equip only one item for each category. Perhaps should be clarified in the help screen.
In version 1.0 there were more categories (bracers, helmets were separate categories), with update 3.0 they have been unified. That's why I assumed it was clear enough.

:gargoyle: :gargoyle: :gargoyle:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
nante

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » Thursday May 15th, 2014 1:36am

Ah... I see about the weapons. Yes, that's exactly that kind of categorization I was thinking of.
But main rule in game design: Visual clues >>>>>>>>>> text ;)
Visual logic is that you can put on both a breastplate, bracers and a helmet. Especially because it's the convention in most RPG games.
If all "Armor" depicted only body armors (but no armor accessories) or entire suits of armor...

(Of course it doesn't help that I play Hero Quest and just assumed you could combine armor parts!)

I don't know if you are gonna address these little things, but I speak from experience when I say that if you want girlfriends, parents and non-gamers to play, basically you gotta eliminate every tiny source of confusion.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby nante » Thursday May 15th, 2014 3:23am

Goblin-King wrote:Ah... I see about the weapons. Yes, that's exactly that kind of categorization I was thinking of.
But main rule in game design: Visual clues >>>>>>>>>> text ;)
Visual logic is that you can put on both a breastplate, bracers and a helmet. Especially because it's the convention in most RPG games.
If all "Armor" depicted only body armors (but no armor accessories) or entire suits of armor...

(Of course it doesn't help that I play Hero Quest and just assumed you could combine armor parts!)

I don't know if you are gonna address these little things, but I speak from experience when I say that if you want girlfriends, parents and non-gamers to play, basically you gotta eliminate every tiny source of confusion.

by the way the new game "should" have the classic hero view with body and items slots, possibly with drag/drop or a simple button to assign the item to a slot. The main problem now is that you never know what the hero has equipped, unless you can remember or you scroll the whole equipment.
I will find someone to copy from :goblin:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
nante

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wraeccan » Thursday May 15th, 2014 4:38am

nante wrote:

But then, why even give the choice of spell classes?
Though I agree that you can restart and choose a new set of spells if you wish, it seems a bit needless and a waste of player time. I don't agree with the LAZY MODE idea above. If I'm playing a wizard, surely (as a character) I knew what I was studying! You don't go to university and come out with a random degree.
wraeccan

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » Thursday May 15th, 2014 8:19am

wraeccan wrote:If I'm playing a wizard, surely (as a character) I knew what I was studying! You don't go to university and come out with a random degree.

Oh man this is great! I literally laughed out loud!
If I ever get the chance, that's exactly how I want my wizard character to be!

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby nante » Thursday May 15th, 2014 9:28am

wraeccan wrote:
nante wrote:

But then, why even give the choice of spell classes?
Though I agree that you can restart and choose a new set of spells if you wish, it seems a bit needless and a waste of player time. I don't agree with the LAZY MODE idea above. If I'm playing a wizard, surely (as a character) I knew what I was studying! You don't go to university and come out with a random degree.

When you select the character, he doesn't know any spell yet. So I ask you, which course do you want to follow, fire, air, earth or water? But you, as a young boy who just finished high school, wouldn't care about the difference and say "whatever!".
Once you select your spells, you have your degree in exactly what you chose before, it's not random :D

Makes sense to me, no?

Anyway, just image how the UI would look if I have to show each spell description in the hero selection menu! I may just give a brief description "Fire = Damage", "Water = Damage", "Earth = Damage", "Air = Damage" (actually all spell categories deal damage.. what's wrong ?!?)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
nante

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » Thursday May 15th, 2014 10:54am

Everything doesn't have to be shown at the same time.
Just have some sub-scenes.

When you are at the scene with the spell icons, when you tap an icon create a pop-up: Select Spells - View Spells
Select Spells? Fine it gets the green V
View Spells? You jump to a scene where you can scroll through the spells and see what they do.

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby nante » Thursday May 15th, 2014 12:20pm

Question
Would you prefer the game to be in portrait (same now) or in landscape (probably better for tablets)?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
nante

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion