• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Inspired by Hero Quest, a game for Android and Windows Phone

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Inspired by Hero Quest, a game for Android and Windows P

Postby nante » Monday May 12th, 2014 11:47pm

Goblin-King wrote:Oh yeah! I've finally gotten a new phone! Now I can actually play this! :D

Edit*
Not bad... Not bad at all. Does ultimate edition remove adds?

Yes it removes Ads and adds 2 new quests ;-)

A few new ideas came out:

- There will be a world map, where the player can move to different locations. Each location will contain different quests. A possibility is that heroes and equipment will be available at specific locations.
- The movement dice will be gone. Each hero will have a fixed speed. This has been a difficult decision, but it definitely speeds up the game.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
nante

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Postby Goblin-King » Tuesday May 13th, 2014 2:53am

Aaaaand... bought! I really like the game, so a couple of suggestions:

Make it possible to see the characters' stats in between quests.

Keep the attack and defense roll visible at the same time. Maybe make the top screen the attack rolls and the bottom defense. It's a little annoying you can't see the first roll while someone is defending.

Somehow show a character's max BP (grey or outlined hearts). It's difficult to remember each hero's personal stats. This is most in regard to when to use potions.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby wraeccan » Tuesday May 13th, 2014 11:36am

It would be nice if all squares reachable in a move were highlighted and you could just click straight to the one you wanted to go to. Quite liking it overall though.
wraeccan

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » Tuesday May 13th, 2014 5:38pm

wraeccan wrote:It would be nice if all squares reachable in a move were highlighted and you could just click straight to the one you wanted to go to. Quite liking it overall though.

Or at least being able to move through other heroes without them all standing in a straight line. Some times you are blocking your heroes in ways you could legally move through in real hero quest.

I realize making legal checks for single squares at a time is WAAAAY easier than implementing some sort of pathfinding. And I can sort of see why the above problem is the way it is.

But it sure would be nice to have these new functions.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby nante » Wednesday May 14th, 2014 12:01am

Hi, thanks for trying the game. I really appreciate.
Please consider that I'm not going to upgrade the current game, as all efforts will be put in the new sequel.
With regards to your notes:

1. Make it possible to see the characters' stats in between quests.
The new game will have a "Heroes Hub" where you will have a complete view of your heroes: stats, equipped items, inventory, spells etc. This should solve the problem. The hub will be accessible between quests and between dungeons.

2. Keep the attack and defense roll visible at the same time. Maybe make the top screen the attack rolls and the bottom defense. It's a little annoying you can't see the first roll while someone is defending.
Well, I don't see it as a priority, as attack/defense occurs in a few seconds, but it may be interesting to find a new way of showing the attack/defense values at the same time. I will keep it in mind.

3. Somehow show a character's max BP (grey or outlined hearts). It's difficult to remember each hero's personal stats. This is most in regard to when to use potions.
I agree, let me think about it.

About the movement:
Yes, definitely you will be able to choose the destination square, and also you will be able to pass through your allied heroes (even if there's more than one to jump over, and also in "L" shapes, for example around a corner). It's already done and that was my priority number one. I totally understand it's a waste of time having to click each single square, especially when you need to travel very far.
Please also note that the movement dice are gone, fixed movement for everybody (items/spells can change the hero speed).

Feel free to share other thoughts. I always keep them into consideration.

I am also evaluating having "certified users", who can prepare quests that I can upload and sell through IAP. The creator would receive the revenue (for a fixed amount of time, not forever otherwise I would go crazy :D ). This, hopefully, could solve the problem that I really don't have the time to write/design the quests, as this is just my hobby and I have a full time job.

Regards

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
nante

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » Wednesday May 14th, 2014 1:22am

nante wrote:2. Keep the attack and defense roll visible at the same time. Maybe make the top screen the attack rolls and the bottom defense. It's a little annoying you can't see the first roll while someone is defending.
Well, I don't see it as a priority, as attack/defense occurs in a few seconds, but it may be interesting to find a new way of showing the attack/defense values at the same time. I will keep it in mind.

The short time is the exact reason why I'd like to keep both rolls visible until the attack is resolved.
Sure, I get to see the target take damage (or block), but half the time I really have no idea how the attack went :oops:

Also feel free to drop me a PM if you need anyone to help make quests (if it's doable without extensive programming skills at least).
I'd probably be interested.

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby nante » Wednesday May 14th, 2014 1:56am

Goblin-King wrote:
nante wrote:2. Keep the attack and defense roll visible at the same time. Maybe make the top screen the attack rolls and the bottom defense. It's a little annoying you can't see the first roll while someone is defending.

The short time is the exact reason why I'd like to keep both rolls visible until the attack is resolved.
Sure, I get to see the target take damage (or block), but half the time I really have no idea how the attack went :oops:

Also feel free to drop me a PM if you need anyone to help make quests (if it's doable without extensive programming skills at least).
I'd probably be interested.

Ok, I get it, let me think about it.

The quests editor will be very similar to the one available for the current game. (Notice the "online" section of the game where you can find all the quests created by other users).
It can be downlaoded here:
https://app.box.com/s/68q9bw8vn8n2wyclzggw

It should give you an idea of what we're talking about. It runs only on Windows (no Mac, sorry).
The new version should just include more items/tiles and more options (prison rooms or other special stuff).

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
nante

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wraeccan » Wednesday May 14th, 2014 4:19am

Maybe a synopsis of what kind of spells are available to each set during character creation?
wraeccan

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » Wednesday May 14th, 2014 8:11am

wraeccan wrote:Maybe a synopsis of what kind of spells are available to each set during character creation?

Spells AND abilities. Good call wraeccan, that was on my list too, I just forgot it again |_P

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby nante » Wednesday May 14th, 2014 10:34am

wraeccan wrote:Maybe a synopsis of what kind of spells are available to each set during character creation?

[LAZY MODE=ON] Shouldn't this be part of the game experience? In most RPG your first character is a bit messed up cause you don't know how to correctly mix stats/abilities. Then you restart with the right mind. [LAZY MODE=OFF]

Something I didn't think about is if spells should be chosen only once per adventure, or they may be changed. Now that all the quests are in the same adventure, having to restart could be a problem.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
nante

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion