• Advertisement

Ye Olde Inn is proudly hosted by

Proudly Hosted by MDD Hosting

Host your Website at MDD Hosting by clicking the logo above and Ye Olde Inn will receive a commission that we'll put toward keeping Ye Olde Inn online for everyone to enjoy!

HeroQuest vs. Warhammer Quest vs. Advanced HeroQuest?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

HeroQuest vs. Warhammer Quest vs. Advanced HeroQuest?

Postby Leander » Wednesday August 8th, 2012 6:30pm

We all know how HeroQuest plays, its strengths and weaknesses and how easy or difficult it is to buy it and its expansions. My question is how it can be compared to Warhammer Quest and Advanced HeroQuest. How "good" is Warhammer Quest. I know the components and stuff but how does it play? How time-consuming is it, how strategic is it, how complicated is a turn (how much dice rolling involved etc.)? Same questions for Advanced HeroQuest.

Descent is too long and complicated for my group of players but HeroQuest is too simple. I''ve thought about house rules for months but maybe it's better to use Warhammer Quest's rules as a start instead of HQ?

Oh, and how is D&D - Legend of Drizzt compared to HQ? It has no dungeon master so it's interesting as nobody wants to be the dm here. :)
My projects: music, games and more...
http://projects.llcp.at
Leander

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: Deutsch
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HeroQuest vs. Warhammer Quest vs. Advanced HeroQuest?

Postby Patroclus » Thursday August 9th, 2012 2:57pm

First of all I have to say that WQ and AHQ were two games with thousands of funs, and I am sure that many of them still playing them. The difference with HQ is that they are solo games. The bad is that a game without GM can only be an “action” game and nothing more. The role of GM is very important in fantasy games, it is the only weapon left against the invasion of video games. While in video games you must follow the story line and you can’t do anything else than killing, the fantasy board games have a person to take decisions and move the game to other levels.

For example, in HQ if your players have lots of troubles and you are sure that they will die in the next rooms, you may choose to give them one more chance. You can put a secret room with a griffin (e.x.) in it, and when a hero enters the room he let it free to help them as NPC with attack of 5 and defense of 4. All these without effort, but you will see the players saying “wow! Now let’s kill those beasts”. It is so easy to have fun while the “action” games are only slashing and moving forward.
But if you are ok with the “action” part I could say some characteristics about those games.
I like how WQ is exploring the map. You shuffle the cards with the rooms and you put the quest room somewhere at the end. Every time you open a door you draw a card and that’s it, you move forward. But the combat is tough and the enemies are many. It is very common to enter a room and have 2d6 monsters against you, and that means a lot of rolling dices. Also it has a “pinned” rule, where if you are adjacent to a monster you can’t move until you kill it or die. I like the events where you have to roll a dice to see what happens and the many quests, where in the quest room you are facing some interesting encounters. If the HQ has an overall of 10, WQ have a 7.

The AHQ is exploring the map by rolling dices and checking some tables from the rulebook. But you will learn them fast so it is not a problem and the exploration has fun. Also, the AHQ is not only for solo playing. It can have a GM and there are quest that are not generated randomly so it is more close to HQ. The rolling of dices is the same as WQ in combat. You check the power of your enemy and you look your character sheet to see what you have to roll on the dice to hit, and after that you roll for damage. But in my opinion the combat is more excited than WQs. There is no “pinned” rule, but it is a “death zone” where if you go adjacent to an enemy you have to stop and fight him but you can move on the next round. There is also a “critical” and “fumble” rule, when you roll a 12 or a 1 (weapons have different limits for critical and fumble). When you roll a critical hit you can instantly hit one more attack, while when you have a “fumble” your enemy has a free attack. And that means that you can have a “fumble”, your enemy instantly will attack you, he may score a critical, he can attack once more, then he may “fumble” and then you’ll have a free attack and maybe you will kill him! It has a very good feeling of combat. The wondering monsters comes from monster tables and there are MANY tables of encounters and interesting things to face. Also there are tables for character creation, and obviously is a try to bring the warhammer miniatures in the world of HQ. But finally the big question is “do you like tiles on your adventures or the maze board of heroquest is enough”, if you choose the second, stay on heroquest and do some mods if you want, if you like the tiles go to AHQ. I say it has an overall of 9.

About the Legend of Drizzt, I don’t have played it. I like the tiles but I find the encounters more similar to chess. Roll the dices and use your skills. The rounds are long and you try to not lose something about rules and modifiers. For a solo game I think it is very complicated and lose its target with long combats and not too much exploration. It is the most combat based of all. It takes an overall of 6 from me but I am not very sure.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Defeated a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Leander » Thursday August 9th, 2012 5:46pm

Thanks for your long reply. :)
Leander

Orc
Orc

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Thursday August 9th, 2012 6:35pm

If you check out Boardgamegeek.com, you'll see HQ is rated 118 in thematic games, while WHQ is rated 54, AHQ is rated 217, and Legend of Drizzt is rated 28. Descent has a newly-released, shorter, less-complicated 2nd edition that is rated 261 and climbing fast.

Warhammerquest was preferred by my friends for its added depth. We used to play a game for about 2 1/2 hours. There was a bit more tactics as more monsters were placed on the board, often a lot more. Mostly tactics revolved around limiting the Heroes' frontage as much as possible so that the squishier Wizard was protected. Deathblows allowed a Hero to sometimes attack more than one monster, so placement would also take it into account. The one-on-one monster placement rule was quick and dirty, but it offered little variety and basically turned battles into contests of attrition.

WHQ turns are about twice as complicated as HQ. First is the power roll, which also works as an unexpected event roll when a 1 is rolled. That added constant pressure and can really screw you, usually with an ambush. Then comes hero movement and attacks, which is followed by monster attacks. Exploration is last if no monsters are present.

If you know Warhammer, you have an idea how combat works. To attack you roll a d6 and consult a weapon skill chart. The monster's weapon skill is crossed referenced to see if you hit. Equal WS scores yield a hit on a 4+. After a while you are familiar enough to do a mental computation (like Warhammer players). If you hit you need to roll a d6 again for damage, adding in one or more modifiers. Next you deduct the monster's toughness score and subtract the result from the monster's wounds. At lower battle levels you can one-shot some monsters, but things slog more as you go up to a maximum battle level of ten. Little dice are included to track monters' wounds, and I'd say it's way more fiddly than HQ. I'd caution you about building a set of house rules around this system, as it gets clunky and unbalanced at higher battle-levels. GW should have play tested it beyond battle level one.

HQ was marketed towards age 10+, while WHQ was marketed towards 12+. Going onto higher battle levels, I'd say WHQ is geared toward 14+. For certain groups, the extra complication is a good thing.

Remember, WHQ is a fully-cooperative game (no GM!) against a simple AI system. Not only that, but it is a Games Workshop game. The result is a wild amount of randomness. At its best, it adds a lot of charm. At its worst, you can have an evening ruined by one bad roll.

Also, WHQ takes the action out of the dungeon through some dice rolling on tables (there's lots of tables in this game). You try to get though mishaps in the wilderness and make it back to a town to resupply, train, or just have fun at a location like the tavern. One of my game groups treated this like a chore to be put off, but another group had lots of fun with it.

I'd say the expense of WHQ is an important factor in your decision. You could save A LOT of cash if you proxy figures and find the files for your own print-and-play version. Of course, if you really like it, it could pay off. Oh, one more thing. Set up takes a bit of time, but clean up took a lot of time.

I have only played a few games of the Castle Ravenloft Dungeons and Dragons Boardgame, but it plays similarly. The rules are light, the AI is better, and it's fun, but the over-reaching scope of a campaign isn't there. It's a clean, tight game that is more of a tactical, cooperative boardgame with a dungeon crawl theme for a skin. Basically, you start out strong, get worn down, and try to eek out a win before you die. It gets a little samey, but if you immerse yourself in the theme than that isn't much of a problem. The final encounter is the big deal. Legend of Drizzt improved upon it and is considered the best, so I'd say it's a real value under $50 online.

I haven't played AHQ in ages, and then only the first adventure in the book. Can't offer much to comment other than too many tables and randomness. There was a lot more detail, though.

I'd reccommend checking out Descent second edition here. Tom Vasel made a good video review. Play time comes in at about 1 1/2 hours, it plays with campaign mode, and it addresses most of the complaints from those unsatisfied with the original Descent.
________
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS YOU

VOTE NOW!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Defeated a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Daedalus

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Leander » Thursday August 9th, 2012 8:41pm

I spent some time checking out Descent, reading reviews, watching videos...a friend of mine has it but doesn't like it that much...as players talk for 20 minutes each turn and plan their moves...and they even spend two hours in the very first room. My friends don't have that much time so a quest shouldn't last longer than 1.5 hours. I didn't know the new edition has a reduced playing time. I will check it out, thanks. :)
Leander

Orc
Orc

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » Friday August 10th, 2012 4:23am

Patroclus wrote:The wondering monsters comes from monster tables and there are MANY tables of encounters and interesting things to face.

wondering monster...

sorry... :lol:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Defeated a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Patroclus » Friday August 10th, 2012 5:07am

looool... I won’t correct the original text because the monsters of AHQ can do that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Defeated a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » Friday August 10th, 2012 5:11am

*Rolls on Floor Laughing*, tat's amazing man hahaha!

RPG Gateway Die Roller's 100

Uncle Zargon
Wants YOU!

HeroQuest YeOldeInn

Image Image Image Image

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Defeated a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Darklord » Friday August 10th, 2012 6:47am

I'm a big fan of all Dungeon games, and Heroquest for me is a quick, fun and simple game, AHQ has the lovely tiles (for it's time) and is very customisable for creating dungeons.

WHQ on the other had is a bit more complex but really lot of fun and as said is very random, I find it's better if you want an ongoing campaign, it's starts deadly but soon becomes easy once you all have powerfull magic items. The between campaign tables are awesome we sued to love them, we had a dwarf trollslayer in our group and he would spend all his time in the tavern singing songs, which he would then use against his enemies in the dungeons! :lol:

For me the ulitmate dungeon game is the full Dungeons and Dragons, but it is more complex of course, and much slower.

Daniel.
Darklord

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » Friday August 10th, 2012 2:14pm

Goblin-King wrote:
Patroclus wrote:The wondering monsters comes from monster tables and there are MANY tables of encounters and interesting things to face.

wondering monster...

sorry... :lol:

One glance at this and I actually burst out laughing! Best HeroQuest comedy picture I've seen to date. :lol:

RPG Gateway Die Roller's 100

Uncle Zargon
Wants YOU!

HeroQuest YeOldeInn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion