• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

What order should the quest packs be played?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

What order do you play through the Expansion Packs?

Postby Jedib2000 » August 3rd, 2015, 6:36 pm

Hey HeroQuest fans! Maybe this is a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway. A group of us have just finished up the headquarters and are ready to move on to the official expansion packs and custom quests on this site. I remember that Kellars Keep seemed to come next but with all of them to choose from is there a particular order that they should be played through? I own all of the expansion packs plus the two (2) UK expansions. I'm wondering if anyone out there has a recommended order they should all be played through from start to finish. Let me know your thoughts, Thanks!
Jedib2000

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: What order do you play through the Expansion Packs?

Postby Decipher » August 3rd, 2015, 9:35 pm

My notes say:

Game System
Kellar's Keep
Return of the Witch Lord
Ogre Horde
Wizards of Zargon
Mage of the Mirror
Frozen Horror
Dark Company

I'm currently working on either 7 or 14 new Quests that will go between the Game System and Kellar's Keep called "Wrath of the Dragon Lord". Going to use all of the minis from Dragon Strike (TSR) with new monster, artifact and spell/scrolls.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Jedib2000 » August 3rd, 2015, 10:49 pm

No way Decipher! I own Dragon Strike. You've caught my interest. Are these custom quests you've created? What parts from DS are you using other than the minis? Would you mind sharing what you've done so far? I'm meeting with our group this Saturday and would consider something different like you're talking about rather than jumping into Kellars Keep. Thanks for responding to my post.
Jedib2000

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:

Postby Decipher » August 4th, 2015, 12:12 am

Jedib2000 wrote:No way Decipher! I own Dragon Strike. You've caught my interest. Are these custom quests you've created? What parts from DS are you using other than the minis? Would you mind sharing what you've done so far? I'm meeting with our group this Saturday and would consider something different like you're talking about rather than jumping into Kellars Keep. Thanks for responding to my post.

Hey Jedib2000. The quests will be all new original quests. I have been working on the cards for the most part and developing a storyline that fits into the HQ theme in between. I have the first few Quests done but still working on them and I have been wanting to implement the DS game boards in there somewhere, I've even thought about making "new" HQ room floor tiles using the DS boards. Still a long ways to go man till I am done. Maybe 2 to 3 weeks. Still have to play test it. But I can PM you this Thursday and send you a download link to a few quests, some cards etc. Maybe you could play test them for me this weekend and give me some pointers?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: EUR & NA expansions, playing order. suggestions

Postby Sjeng » August 4th, 2015, 4:44 am

This question has been asked SO many times now, and in different topics (I counted 5!) that I decided to finally merge them and sticky them. I also noticed I already merged 3 of those topics before this.

Please use the search function if you have specific questions or want to announce something that might already have been discussed. Thank you ;)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: What's the chronology of your play?

Postby Sjeng » August 4th, 2015, 4:53 am

Sjeng wrote:
  1. Game System
  2. Kellar's Keep
  3. Return of the Witch Lord
    The 4 magazine quests, in the order they were published:
  4. Halls of Durrag-Dol
  5. Revenge of the Weather Man
  6. Inn of Chaos
  7. Eyes of Chaos
  8. Against the Ogre Horde
  9. Wizards of Morcar
  10. The Dark Company
    ooo
  11. Mage of the Mirror
  12. The Frozen Horror

I recommend the fanmade quest at the "ooo" tears of time passed before Mirror and Horror
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby MichaelKruse » August 4th, 2015, 6:34 am

Jedib2000 wrote:I own Dragon Strike. You've caught my interest.

If you're looking for a quest pack based on the Dragon Strike boards and miniatures , you should check out StratosVX's superb remake of Lord Narran's Battles - you can find it here: http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2765
MichaelKruse

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: What order should the quest packs be played?

Postby alyndavies » August 10th, 2015, 1:57 pm

From what I can see Heroquest, Return of the witchlord, then Kellers keep, against the ogre horde, then wizards of morcar.

I always say return of the witch lord second, then kellers keep, as kellers keep is much harder, basically orcs and firmir's attack with 3 dice, while skeletons and zombies only 2 dice, it makes a massive difference quest to quest.

The story line of wizards of morcar comes after ogre horde if you read the epilogue, in wizards of morcar, the guy apologises to morcar for failing him using the ogres, then morcar introduces his 4 wizards who kill the guy.
alyndavies

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » August 10th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Without reading this thread all the way, so I don't know fi this has been discussed, but I always plaed KK before ROWL becaue at the end of the Game System it says that the Emperor is trapped in Keller's Keep. It just seems like that would be more emergent, so it would be the way to go. Plus, you've just come off of an undead heavy quest arc. Just my thoughts.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby alyndavies » August 10th, 2015, 2:18 pm

clmckay wrote:Without reading this thread all the way, so I don't know fi this has been discussed, but I always plaed KK before ROWL becaue at the end of the Game System it says that the Emperor is trapped in Keller's Keep. It just seems like that would be more emergent, so it would be the way to go. Plus, you've just come off of an undead heavy quest arc. Just my thoughts.

I agree with the rational of what your saying, but aside from the initial start of return of the witch lord where lots of rooms are open and you can ambush the players, the quests themselves are so easy. Secondly if your heroes are strongly kitted out then they will blow through ROWL easily because the skeletons and zombies with only 2 attack dice will simply bounce off them. Certainly I never got close to killing my partner during ROWL, but in KK despite having 10 body points I managed to finally kill her.
alyndavies

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion