• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Comparing HeroQuest miniatures to Reaper Bones

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Comparing HeroQuest miniatures to Reaper Bones

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » May 26th, 2014, 6:09 pm

What about the softness of the material when the miniatures are already painted.. After painting almost all of the descent miniatures (which also get bent very easily) I'm not very much a fan of soft miniatures anymore :cry:

The prices however are unbeatable, no doubt.
Guybrush Threepwood

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: Deutsch
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Redav » May 30th, 2014, 9:49 pm

I know that both are listed as "25mm Heroic Scale Fantasy Miniatures" but I was just wondering if anyone can compare Bones to Reaper's Pathfinder and Warlord minis?
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby LordZeke » May 31st, 2014, 2:02 am

well some of the bones are reaper's pathfinder minis so i would guess the would be similar in size... but i don't own any of the non-bones reaper's pathfinder versions.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
LordZeke

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » May 31st, 2014, 2:05 am

Some of the Bones in the very first picture of the thread are Pathfinder models.
Warlord minis have a similar scale.

Both are (in my eyes) not compatible with HeroQuest minis (because they are not "heroic" scale whatever the manufacturer might say or not),
but with all 28, 30, and most 32mm miniatures out there.
The heroic part of scale description tells you something about bodily proportions (width-height) within a miniature. HQ and pre-1995 Warhammer minis are 25mm heroic. If Reaper sell entire lines under the "25mm heroic scale" moniker it's a blatant advertising twist of truth. Some minis, sure, but most of them are just realistically proportioned, I think.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » May 31st, 2014, 5:17 am

They say you can bend them all you want, the paint holds. My elf hasn't lost any paint yet :)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby wolfie907 » May 31st, 2014, 1:31 pm

knightkrawler wrote:Some of the Bones in the very first picture of the thread are Pathfinder models.
Warlord minis have a similar scale.

Both are (in my eyes) not compatible with HeroQuest minis (because they are not "heroic" scale whatever the manufacturer might say or not),
but with all 28, 30, and most 32mm miniatures out there.
The heroic part of scale description tells you something about bodily proportions (width-height) within a miniature. HQ and pre-1995 Warhammer minis are 25mm heroic. If Reaper sell entire lines under the "25mm heroic scale" moniker it's a blatant advertising twist of truth. Some minis, sure, but most of them are just realistically proportioned, I think.

reapers scale is all over the place some are 25mm true some are heroic some are 28mm and some are huge and must be 32mm that is variations in the same range mostly due to the age of any particular mini bones are exactly the same size as their metal counter parts [except kaladrax ] and since they were randomly pulled out of different lines that were produced over a twenty year period there is a lot of variation in their sizes ill try to get some pictures up to show comparsions

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
wolfie907

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » May 31st, 2014, 2:13 pm

True dat.
What I meant is 25mm heroic is the one scale I haven't seen in a Reaper mini.
The differences can be seen within the Bones Kickstarter batches.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Tomkat364 » August 6th, 2014, 4:17 pm

I have painted three bones figures so far, planning to do my fourth soon. My wife has been kind enough to participate in some of our game nights, so I made female versions of the four main characters. I'll try to post some pics in the next week or so. Thus far, they work great in my opinion. The figures are not all in proportion to each other, and they are generally more realistic-ish than the original heroquest figures, but they blend in well enough.
I had been asking into other options as well more from a standpoint of not wanting to buy a hundred reaper minis, but thus far I have found no better options.
Tomkat364

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby kingdragun1983 » August 9th, 2014, 3:14 am

the bases of the reaper pcs just make them taller but good find, i've been looking into these as replacement pcs for the other expansions
kingdragun1983

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Decipher » August 11th, 2014, 9:14 pm

I would love to find a plastic human cleric mini that could go with HQ. Does anyone know if the new D&D minis would work? I havent gotten into the new D&D stuff.

I found this one on ebay for $2.00.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion