• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Lame Elven Archer movement

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Elf Quest Pack: The Mage of the Mirror.

Lame Elven Archer movement

Postby Daedalus » July 25th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Why are Elven Archers saddled with only a 6 square Move characteristic? Compare that to a human Mercenary Scout with a 9 square Move, who carries a shield (with 3 defend dice). Or instead compare it with a human Mercenary Crossbowman or Halberdier, who also have a 6 Move, but wear armor (with 3 defend dice). The figure and card possibly show armor, but it isn't accounted for with only 2 defend dice. The Elven Warrior possibly wears the same armor, but also bears a shield. The shield more believably accounts for the 3 defend dice.
Are the Elven Archer and Elven Warrior frail pansies, burdened by armor necessary to bring them up to 2 defend dice, or is the Elven Archer lame?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Lame Elven Archer movement

Postby Ethica » July 26th, 2011, 3:03 am

Not to mention the fact that elves are usually faster than humans. I would have given them 8 move.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » July 26th, 2011, 3:14 am

I think this decision was an issue of game balancing rather than of realism. It's a tough quest anyway.

I would explain it for myself as the archers wouldn't move at their possible full speed, but rather sneak around carefully, "keeping the aim". They are ranged fighters, no need to run. The elven warriors are meele fighters, so quick momevent is of the essence for them.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 26th, 2011, 11:08 am

Ethica wrote:Not to mention the fact that elves are usually faster than humans. I would have given them 8 move.

I think they should be fast, too. At least as fast as a Chaos Warrior's 7 Move (he's wearing plate mail, for Pete's sake!), if not faster, like an Orc's 8 Move. The Orc too wears chain mail in its picture, but doesn't benefit from the extra defend die. No shield, though.

Big Bene wrote:I think this decision was an issue of game balancing rather than of realism. It's a tough quest anyway.

I was wondering if this was the case.

Big Bene wrote:I would explain it for myself as the archers wouldn't move at their possible full speed, but rather sneak around carefully, "keeping the aim". They are ranged fighters, no need to run. The elven warriors are meele fighters, so quick momevent is of the essence for them.

I'm beginning to suspect the same thing- a Elf's or Mercenary's role influences his movement, kind of like a training limitation.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 26th, 2011, 3:30 pm

After referencing the Elf Quest Pack, I have another possible theory for the slow movement of the Elven Archer and Elven Warrior. As they are encountered as monsters, and the first 2 Elven Archers are described as having a spell cast on them by the Necromancer, then the slow movement could be a result of the necromantic spell. The slowing effects can linger after the spell is broken, kinda like a zombie powder or embalming fluid that doesn't quickly wear off. Those elves found as monsters in Sinestra's stronghold have the same necromantic spell effect placed on them, with the additional effect of their loyalty being made permanent through Sinestra's enchantment.
All that is a fancy way of rationalizing Elven Archers and Elven Warriors who are free of spell effects as deserving of a higher Move characteristic. I'd say 8, because their defend is 1 short of similarly equipped human Mercenaries, not to mention they defend with black shields. If they were to be included as allies like Mercenaries, I'd say they should have a 7 Move and defend with white shields, as well.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Return to The Mage of the Mirror