• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Double pit traps and long pit traps.

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Elf Quest Pack: The Mage of the Mirror.

Re: Double pit traps and long pit traps.

Postby The Admiral » November 11th, 2018, 4:47 pm

j_dean80 wrote:
mitchiemasha wrote:I believe the default is that pits can be removed.

EU yes
NA no

Really? The EU rules allow a sprung pit trap to be removed? I have played both and never realised this. Admittedly I haven't played EU rules for over 20 years, but certainly we never allowed that.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Maurice76 » November 11th, 2018, 6:08 pm

We always played it that way, when we were younger. Only Falling Block Traps couldn't be removed once sprung, but the Pit Traps could be taken out.

In the upcoming walk through the game, I am not going to allow it. I will allow Heroes to disable the Traps before they're sprung, but once sprung they remain in effect for the rest of the game.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 12th, 2018, 7:32 am

Since we are discussing Pit Traps here another thought crossed my mind. Couldn't the Spell Scroll Ice Bridge also be used to cover a pit trap?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Stoner81 » November 12th, 2018, 8:07 am

wallydubbs wrote:Since we are discussing Pit Traps here another thought crossed my mind. Couldn't the Spell Scroll Ice Bridge also be used to cover a pit trap?

Yes.

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » October 19th, 2021, 3:59 am

wallydubbs wrote:I played The Alchemists Laboratory last night; because of lack of space as soon as they started the heroes set off both of them. Unless the first 2 heroes successfully kill the 2 Chaos Warriors at the start of the Quest there's no real way to search for them (absent a potion of Vision).

There is a way:

Instruction Booklet, p.18 wrote:How A Hero Searches For Traps
  • As a Hero, you can only search for traps if there are no monsters visible to you.

With a Hero adjacent to each Chaos Warrior, a third Hero between them may search for traps as the monsters aren't visible (the Hero doesn’t have Line of Sight.)

wallydubbs wrote:Anyway, now that the traps are sprung, how should it be handled when a hero tries to jump them? Would it be the same as a long pit trap (roll a black skull)? Tile wise the pits do not connect...or the heroes have to roll anything but a skull twice.

I'd recommend the latter and have a jumping Hero roll for standard pit traps twice in succession. (But he might fail at the first trap, which ends his turn.) The fail condition for the long pit trap is unique to that trap and more likely than the 1-in-4 of two successive pit traps. I figure the Quest designer intended variety, otherwise another long pit trap would have been included in the map.

wallydubbs wrote:This quest also has a long pit trap on the other side of the board, which the heroes did catch and the Dwarf disarmed. But I wasn't sure if he had to disarm it twice because it occupied two spaces. The rule book does not say...

Any trap only requires one disarm attempt unless the Quest Notes specify otherwise. Only the two pit traps near the entrance each need a disarm attempt for a total of two disarms for two spaces.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » October 19th, 2021, 10:11 am

Realizing that later quest packs sometimes modify the original rules intent, but still seeking something official... this is from the Elf Quest Pack (page 3 on phoenix's version):

Long Pit Trap

If a Hero wants to jump over this pit the long way, he must have at least 3 squares of movement left after he moves next to the pit. The Hero then rolls 1 Combat Die. A Black Shield means the Hero has jumped across safely, using up 3 squares of movement. The Hero can continue to move if he has more movement left. Any result other than a Black Shield means the Hero falls into the pit suffering 2 Body Points of damage. The Hero must roll a 5 or 6 on 1d6 on a subsequent turn to climb out of the pit. While in the pit, the Hero rolls 1 less Combat Die when attacking or defending (but never less than 1 die).
Note: These traps can be jumped the short way, the same as regular pit traps.

If using the Rabbit Boots, would I give them a bonus? You bet I would...
But if you still wanted to make it a challenge, I guess you could make it that they have to roll anything but a skull instead of anything but a black shield, but that's just a suggestion or just let them have it.

And Against the Ogre Horde makes it clear that Pits of Darkness can't be disarmed after being sprung, but are jumped like normal Pit Traps, if that's any help.

Now the "earthquake tile" in Wizards of Morcar is said to be treated like a Pit, but it doesn't mention the crazy stunt of trying to leap over it the long way, I'm going to assume you just can't do it even with the Rabbit Boots!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous