• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Several Questions regarding Even Boots

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Elf Quest Pack: The Mage of the Mirror.

Several Questions regarding Even Boots

Postby wallydubbs » October 19th, 2018, 2:25 pm

"These boots grant the Elf an extra red die for movement. The Elf can roll 3 die for movement either before or after taking an action. The boots wear out if the Elf rolls identical numbers on any 3 dice"

1.) Only the Elf can wear Elven Boots, correct? Wizard's Cloak and Wizard's Staff specify "Can only be used by the Wizard", the Elf Quest Pack makes no specifications.
2.) When the Elf is wearing Even Boots is it mandatory that he roll 3 for movement? It says he "can", which sounds like it's optional if he rolls a 3rd.
3.) Where it says "Identical numbers on any 3 dice", do just 2 numbers have to match up or all 3? The boots would last longer with 3, he'll hardly get use out of them if only 2 have to match up.
4.) If he rolls 3 of a kind, do the boots cancel immediately or does he still count that extra die for this movement?
5.) I'm assuming he can't wear Even Boots with Rabbit Boots...?
6.) If he wears Elven Boots with Plate Mail shouldn't the 1 die movement rule and extra die movement allowance just result in 2 dice?
7.) If the Elf has Elven Boots while using the Disappear spell, a roll of 1 - 8 he's invisible, 9 - 12 the spell ends... nothing is specified for anything higher then 12, so I'll just assume the spell wears off.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Several Questions regarding Even Boots

Postby benvoliothefirst » October 19th, 2018, 2:49 pm

Great questions! Based on previous game experience and common sense (Anyone who says "why can't I wear two pairs of boots at the same time?!" should be dragged out into the street and shot):

1: I'd argue that anyone else can wear them but they don't have any effect. Just make you look like a ponce. But yeah, "can only be worn by the elf" would be a safe assumption. You could make a great in-game justification for this: they're only sold in the elven quarter, and non-elves aren't allowed in the shops, or they're too small for human/dwarfish feet, etc.
2+3: They'd be broken if you could only roll 3 when you needed to, so I'd say he has to.
4: Cancel immediately. They explode.
5: See above
6: Correct.
7: Or you could extrapolate out the 2:1 odds and say since he's rolling 3 dice it should now be 1-12 invisible, 13-18 spell ends.
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Nicodemus » October 20th, 2018, 1:07 pm

I agree with all of the above, except #6.

The one time we had this come up (which was back in the late 90s now) we still had the Elf roll his 3 dice, but one was a different colour that didn’t count toward his movement. This way he still got the -1 Movement Due penalty of the armour, but also got the +1 die of the boots. Although we ignored the 3rd white die if it matched the two Red Dice his boots were toast.

~N

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Nicodemus

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » October 20th, 2018, 1:57 pm

What if the Elf wearing Elven Boots will drink a Potion of Speed?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » October 20th, 2018, 2:18 pm

Good spot on 3. It should say 'all dice' if it was triples. 'Any dice' would suggest doubles and triples. This might be an oversight in writing.
As for 6. i'm not sure i'd allow it.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » October 21st, 2018, 5:39 am

wallydubbs wrote:"These boots grant the Elf an extra red die for movement. The Elf can roll 3 die for movement either before or after taking an action. The boots wear out if the Elf rolls identical numbers on any 3 dice"

1.) Only the Elf can wear Elven Boots, correct? Wizard's Cloak and Wizard's Staff specify "Can only be used by the Wizard", the Elf Quest Pack makes no specifications.
2.) When the Elf is wearing Even Boots is it mandatory that he roll 3 for movement? It says he "can", which sounds like it's optional if he rolls a 3rd.
3.) Where it says "Identical numbers on any 3 dice", do just 2 numbers have to match up or all 3? The boots would last longer with 3, he'll hardly get use out of them if only 2 have to match up.
4.) If he rolls 3 of a kind, do the boots cancel immediately or does he still count that extra die for this movement?
5.) I'm assuming he can't wear Even Boots with Rabbit Boots...?
6.) If he wears Elven Boots with Plate Mail shouldn't the 1 die movement rule and extra die movement allowance just result in 2 dice?
7.) If the Elf has Elven Boots while using the Disappear spell, a roll of 1 - 8 he's invisible, 9 - 12 the spell ends... nothing is specified for anything higher then 12, so I'll just assume the spell wears off.

1) I would say anyone can wear them. They are called Elven Boots, but without a rule restricting use I think they can be used by all.
2) I play that it's optional.
3) All 3 the same.
4) I would say he gets the move and then they go.
5) yes. I would require an action to change boots.
6) yes, 2 dice.
7) Rules don't cover this. As the EW I would adjust accordingly. 1-12 invisible, 13-18 spell ends.

2 and 4 are definitely things that the EW player could rule the opposite. As to 7, I think it is down to the EW player to rule on this.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Nicodemus » October 21st, 2018, 1:40 pm

Ha ha, oh my @The Admiral ... you’re way more permissive than I am ;)

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Nicodemus

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » October 21st, 2018, 2:38 pm

Nicodemus wrote:Ha ha, oh my @The Admiral ... you’re way more permissive than I am ;)

Hey, I'm just a nice Evil Wizard I guess :)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » October 21st, 2018, 2:39 pm

lestodante wrote:What if the Elf wearing Elven Boots will drink a Potion of Speed?

Not at home at the moment. Does speed give you movement dice again. That would mean 6 dice!

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » October 21st, 2018, 5:48 pm

in european version the potion of speed allows the hero to roll the dice and move twice. In NA version it is not a card and allow to move of 12 squares.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to The Mage of the Mirror