• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Is there a purpose to the spell twist wood?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Elf Quest Pack: The Mage of the Mirror.

Re: Is there a purpose to the spell twist wood?

Postby Goblin-King » February 13th, 2013, 4:05 pm

bastianbux wrote:While I understand wanting to implement this spell more fully, I feel like its intended purpose was really just to disrupt those elven archers in the quest pack it came with. I think taking it to mean that you can twist the wood on all weapons that contain any part of wood is stretching the extent of the spell.
I fully agree it's mainly meant to annoy the elven archers. However the spell DO explicitly state it works on "any wooden weapon, such as a staff, bow, or crossbow", implying that it's intended to work on other characters than just the archers. It's a little strange they write "staff" since only players use staves (or crossbows for that matter). My theory is that the quest line is just an example on how to use the components (someone suggested this in another thread about something else). The fun part comes when you write your own quests.

YES! That's right! The elven spells are designed to be given to an enemy spellcaster to be used on the heroes.

I think I would rule that players can only really use it on the archers. Yes it sucks, but so do a lot of the original spell decks if the right situation doesn't emerge. The elf player is free to NOT select it.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » February 15th, 2013, 6:50 pm

bastianbux wrote:While I understand wanting to implement this spell more fully, I feel like its intended purpose was really just to disrupt those elven archers in the quest pack it came with. I think taking it to mean that you can twist the wood on all weapons that contain any part of wood is stretching the extent of the spell.

Should a spell be limited to just one expansion? While it's reasonable for anyone to disagree with a broadened application, I think there are at least two additional weapons that should be included when considering a narrow interpretation of "any wooden weapon." Based on the examples of a staff, bow, and crossbow, a criteria is established that includes weapons that are fully or mostly made of wood, or they depend on missile accuracy. If the EU spear is in play, it shares similar metal--wood composition to an arrow, and the haft resembles a staff. I'd say that it should not only twist for those reasons, but also because its missile accuracy would be ruined. Another weapon, the spiked club wielded by ogres and the Warbear, is mainly made of wood, so it too is a good candidate. Other weapons could more easily be left out of the effect of the spell if Morcar/Zargon wished. This sounds like a good compromise to me, but I'd still halve the effect on a spiked club to account for its mass and the bigger monster wielding it.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 5th, 2016, 5:25 pm

Upon revisiting this thread, I think this text for an expanded application could work for me:

Twist Wood

This spell causes any wooden weapon,
such as a staff, bow, or crossbow, to
become warped into uselessness. A
wooden-hafted weapon or a large
spiked club only partially warps so that
any successful hits must be rerolled.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » April 5th, 2016, 8:44 pm

I rule this spell is also useful for forcing open doors and treasure chests at range.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » April 5th, 2016, 9:42 pm

cynthialee wrote:I rule this spell is also useful for forcing open doors and treasure chests at range.

Nice creative thinking there. |_P

As I may or may not have stated earlier, Twist Wood can be potent but is only useful in a handful of situations, so adding to the list of scenarios in which casting it is useful is an excellent way to improve an otherwise low-impact spell.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » April 5th, 2016, 11:14 pm

You could also destroy a number of the furniture items with said spell, if you take a logical approach. I can't think of a case where it would help, but I could cook up an animated table running around the room, smacking heroes and generally being dangerous....
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » April 7th, 2016, 4:30 am

I came up with this updated version:

Twist Wood (V2)
Cast & Discard: Target one non-Hero figure in Line of Sight and chose one of the following three effects:
Target loses the ability to make diagonal attacks.
Target loses the ability to make ranged attacks.
Target changes their melee combat dice to Green from now on. (if you don't have German colour dice, this changes to hit on white shields)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » April 7th, 2016, 4:52 am

I like these new Variants!
I try to save some more words. Let me know if it is understandable. :D

Twist Wood:
The target loses any ranged or diagonal keyword and attacks with green dice from now on.
Or
Open one door or treasure chest in line of sight, being save from any trap attached to it.

Replace "green dice" with "white shields" for hardcore white dice users, or if you don't like to attack on shields, replace by "5+ on movement dice"

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » June 16th, 2016, 1:36 am

Goblin-King wrote:
I fully agree it's mainly meant to annoy the elven archers. However the spell DO explicitly state it works on "any wooden weapon, such as a staff, bow, or crossbow", implying that it's intended to work on other characters than just the archers. It's a little strange they write "staff" since only players use staves (or crossbows for that matter). My theory is that the quest line is just an example on how to use the components (someone suggested this in another thread about something else). The fun part comes when you write your own quests.

YES! That's right! The elven spells are designed to be given to an enemy spellcaster to be used on the heroes.

I think I would rule that players can only really use it on the archers. Yes it sucks, but so do a lot of the original spell decks if the right situation doesn't emerge. The elf player is free to NOT select it.

Well wizards of zargon have Orcs with crossbows.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » June 16th, 2016, 9:28 am

I was going to say thing as cynthia - it could be used to open doors (and getting by trapped doors, in that case) and
to open treasure chests (and getting by those traps, as well).

I would also allow the option to cast it on "wooden" monsters. If you've seen my monster list, I have the following
creatures that could take damage from the spell, most likely, and any constructed and animated
creature would take damage or simply be destroyed by the spell.
- Treant
- Plant Man (maybe)
- Wood Man
- Living Vines (maybe)

(my monster list is here...along with other expansions of mine: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1212&p=12572#p12572

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Mage of the Mirror