Elf spell questions

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Elf Quest Pack: The Mage of the Mirror.

Re: Elf spell questions

Postby Maurice76 » Wednesday April 10th, 2019 4:24am

Hypnotic Blaze is a spell that messes with the mind of the victim(s), it's not a real flame. Since Undead lack any form of mind, I'd say they aren't affected by the spell. Of course, this doesn't apply to Undead with mind power, like the Witch Lord and similar.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Jalapenotrellis » Wednesday April 10th, 2019 4:29am

The spell specifically states it affects based on mind points. If the monster has mind points, it gets to roll. I'm not sure where this idea that undead don't have minds came from. That is too creative. The card would specifically state something like it doesn't affect undead like sleep does.
Other fantasy games let you play undead and none of the ones I've played have special rules for mind points on undead.
Jalapenotrellis

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Postby wallydubbs » Thursday April 11th, 2019 7:00am

Jalapenotrellis wrote:The spell specifically states it affects based on mind points. If the monster has mind points, it gets to roll. I'm not sure where this idea that undead don't have minds came from. That is too creative. The card would specifically state something like it doesn't affect undead like sleep does.
Other fantasy games let you play undead and none of the ones I've played have special rules for mind points on undead.

I'm not saying the undead don't have minds (unless they actually scraped it out of the Mummy's head like in ancient Egypt), something up there still gives them motor function, whatever minds they do have are much more primal and don't work the same way all other monsters minds would work; they don't sleep and they probably don't even eat the way traditional zombies do, but whatever magic has reanimated them, they're clearly in no position to think for themselves.

If they don't sleep they probably can't be hypnotized. As stated in other Forums, the Barbarian and Elf quest packs were never playtested, so it's possible the game makers didn't have undead in mind when they made that spell.
wallydubbs

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)

Postby The Admiral » Friday April 12th, 2019 11:21am

Jalapenotrellis wrote:The spell specifically states it affects based on mind points. The card would specifically state something like it doesn't affect undead like sleep does.

Yes, as written you are correct, it does affect the undead. I just don't think it should, and house rule accordingly.
The Admiral

Ogre
Ogre

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to The Mage of the Mirror