• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Who Can Use Elf Artifacts

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Elf Quest Pack: The Mage of the Mirror.

Re: Who Can Use Elf Artifacts

Postby knightkrawler » September 10th, 2014, 4:44 am

Goblin-King wrote:We notice there are yet still no "classic restrictions" text in the bottom. This proves the system from the original game has been disregarded.
Going from there we can only assume the wordings mean exactly what they mean. The Ancient Staff grants the ELF the ability to...]

I'm inclined to agree. Every Hero can use or wear it, but only the ELF gets the goodies.
That's not good, but then again, how good a quest pack is MotM anyway? I think it was never playtested...

Artefacts in question: Ancient Staff, Elven Boots, Elven Bracers.
None of them are found during the first three quests, in which case the card wordings would have made sense.
The way it is, 5 of the quest pack's artefacts, only 3 of them useable among the other heroes, make the Elf a sparkly spelly tank. Which begs the question if this quest pack is the first of a not completely conceived series making all four heroes sparkly spelly tanks. 'Dwarf and Wizard Quest Pack', anyone?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Goblin-King » September 10th, 2014, 6:25 am

Well, the staff, boots and bow have a limited lifetime, so I'm not really concerned about what would otherwise indeed be a sparkly spelly tank.
But with the bracers he is better than the barbarian in every single way.
Since attacks are strictly weapon based and elf and barb can use the same weapons, the only thing barbarian had going for him was the high amount og BP.
But NOOOOO the elf had to take that away from him too!

Really, the barbarian's special ability should be that he always rolls 1 extra attack die than what is listed on the weapon.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » September 10th, 2014, 6:40 am

So switch over to my breakdown of Hero stats already.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » September 16th, 2014, 3:50 am

Goblin-King wrote:Well, the staff, boots and bow have a limited lifetime, so I'm not really concerned about what would otherwise indeed be a sparkly spelly tank.
But with the bracers he is better than the barbarian in every single way.
Since attacks are strictly weapon based and elf and barb can use the same weapons, the only thing barbarian had going for him was the high amount og BP.
But NOOOOO the elf had to take that away from him too!

Really, the barbarian's special ability should be that he always rolls 1 extra attack die than what is listed on the weapon.

That's why I prefer to disregard the Elven Bracers Artifact Card in favor of using the Elven Chainmail. The Elven Bracers might have made more sense if it gave 1 Body Point and 1 Mind Point.

You can always set a magical trap for a later Quest that removes them from play, like the sparkling mist that destroys Borin's Armor or Orc's Bane in Quest 2 of RotWL. The Elf will cry for ages.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby slev » October 1st, 2014, 8:27 am

Daedalus wrote:That's why I prefer to disregard the Elven Bracers Artifact Card in favor of using the Elven Chainmail. The Elven Bracers might have made more sense if it gave 1 Body Point and 1 Mind Point.

You can always set a magical trap for a later Quest that removes them from play, like the sparkling mist that destroys Borin's Armor or Orc's Bane in Quest 2 of RotWL. The Elf will cry for ages.

This is why I changed the bracers to +1MP, +1BP, +1 move die, and gave the AotN the ability to re-roll one combat die per attack. Makes the two very different.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » October 1st, 2014, 9:40 pm

Different is better--those are some good changes. As published, I guess things even out when the Barbarian gets the Amulet of the North, but meanwhile the Elf outshines the Barbarian even more, which isn't right. Or maybe it's temporarily okay, since the EQP is themed for the Elf.

I guess the Elf could get both the Elven Bracers and Elven Chain Mail armor, but allowing both in the same Quest pack may be too much. If I ever get around to playing the US expansions, I will probably award one or the other after the BQP. The Barbarian will better balance against the Elf by then, as he will be eligible for a better weapon using my AHQ-like houserule for strength.

My spell upgrade houserules should cover the Wizard well enough for higer play. What to do about the Dwarf?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby slev » October 2nd, 2014, 4:22 am

For what it's worth, I gave the other heroes the following "level-up" items:

Dwarf - Crown of the Ancestors: +1BP, +1MP, +1 defence die

Wizard - Circlet of Scorcery: +2MP, + 1 Spell Group.

Also, forgot that I canged the Amulet of the North to +2BP and re-roll one combat die.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » April 17th, 2015, 3:31 am

drathe wrote:The chain mail is in the quest notes. But there is no card. It is believed to have been replaced by (or be the replacement of) the Elven Bracers card as there are no Elven Bracers in the notes.

I don't actually believe that the Elven chainmail is a mistake. When all the other artifacts are discovered, there is no text as to how they work as the quest notes refer you to the artifact card. The quest notes for the Elven chainmail detail how it works, just as it does in quest 9 for the Elven potions of speed and vision, for which there are also no corresponding artifact cards.

I do believe however that the Elven Bracers are a mistake. I place them in the chest in quest 7, in the top right corner, for which there are no notes. I also believe this is where it was intended that they should be found. There are no notes for the chest which is unusual. Not even a "This chest is empty". If you look at the letter placing on the quest map, the letter H would be appropriate here, and there is even space on the quest notes page for a note H in respect of the chest.

As to who can use the various artifacts, I can see the arguments given for universal use of certain artifacts that don't specifically say only the elf can use them, but I go with how the cards are written. The Eleven Boots for example say they grant the 'Elf' extra movement, The 'Elf' rolls movement dice and they wear out if the 'Elf' rolls a treble. So in my quests Only the Spell scroll, Bone Wand and Sky Orb are available to the other heroes. This is just my personal opinion though.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » April 17th, 2015, 11:31 am

The Elf armor, boots and bracers are sized and designed for an Elf. It isn't that a human or dwarf would be forbidden from using these artifacts, it is a sizing and fit issue.
Human gear is sized for humans, Dwarf gear for Dwarves and Elf Gear is for Elves. Now if you find yourself in a major commerce center that has artisans, then maybe you can get gear from one of the other species. But it will cost you twice the price...

The above reasoning is why the heroes at my table are not presently hoarding the superior Lizardman gear the reptoids use. It isn't that there is some magical reason you can't use the Lizardman gear, are you 9 foot tall with 4 foot wide shoulders that come down in a rapid taper to the hips? Didn't think so...the armor will not fit any heroes. The +4 sword? It is too unwieldy for any heroes. It is far to large and the handle is ergonomically designed with a Liardman warriors hands in mind. Use the sword and risk a wrist injury. Lizardman spears? They are way to large in diameter for the heroes. Once again, this item is designed for a lizardman, thus the spear is much larger and heavier than a human spear. Now it might be useable as a lance or a pike....
~There is one item that the heroes in my game could loot from the lizards and use but none of them want it. "The Nose Ring of Message Spell" {Sometimes this item is a large bone instead of a ring} This item is used as a piercing through the nostril holes of some soldier Lizardmen. When in place the item will allow the casting of a Message Spell 3x per day.
Seems that none of my Players want a huge nose ring or bone through their heroes face. :D They have like three of them they never intend on using.~
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » April 30th, 2015, 10:07 am

cynthialee wrote:~There is one item that the heroes in my game could loot from the lizards and use but none of them want it. "The Nose Ring of Message Spell" {Sometimes this item is a large bone instead of a ring} This item is used as a piercing through the nostril holes of some soldier Lizardmen. When in place the item will allow the casting of a Message Spell 3x per day.
Seems that none of my Players want a huge nose ring or bone through their heroes face. :D They have like three of them they never intend on using.~

It sometimes amuses me to give players an item that they won't want to use. This is more true in my D&D games than in HQ, however.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Mage of the Mirror