• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hints on rebalancing this quest

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Wizards of Morcar Quest Pack.

Hints on rebalancing this quest

Postby Just_Will » July 4th, 2016, 10:24 am

From what I remember these 5 quests are brutal. It's been a long time though and maybe I wasn't as tactically savvy then (about 18-20 years ago) as I am now. I'm getting back into HQ and I've been brainstorming creative ways to balance this expansion, and I'm hoping some one with recent hands on experience could critique my thoughts/ideas. (I'm playing the US version HQ by the way) Here goes:

-Allow Elf/Wizard to take more sets of spells. (Eg Elf: 2 sets, Wizard 4-5 sets) maybe introduce a quest for a relic that allows this? (In fact a series of 3-4 custom quests with character specific relics would be fun)
-Re-Introduce the equipment that was taken out of the US version (bracers, cloak of protection etc) to make the Wizard more survivable
-create an 'underworld' dungeon for dead heroes to escape from, thereby reviving themselves
-buff up the men at arms (I saw this was done on the 'Wizards of Zargon' pack posted here)
Just_Will

Zombie
Zombie

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Hints on rebalancing this quest

Postby Gold Bearer » July 4th, 2016, 1:38 pm

Just_Will wrote:-create an 'underworld' dungeon for dead heroes to escape from, thereby reviving themselves
:D Love it. |_P

If you use all seven spell sets then :wizard: picks one :elf: picks one :wizard: picks two :wizard: elf picks one :wizard: has the other two would work the best.
It still goes 1-1-2 and :wizard: still gets the last two. You could allow :barbarian: to count :blackshield: as :skull: in melee and :dwarf: to count :blackshield: as :whiteshield: to even them out. If you're playing AtHO and WoM with US monster stats they'll need the upgrades.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Just_Will » July 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm

BRILLIANT! I'm thinking one quest would be for a :barbarian: only relic, either 'Berserker's Brand' or Critical sword. Either :blackshield: = :skull: :skull: , or :blackshield: equals :skull: but ignores monster's :blackshield: .

The :dwarf: only relic would be something like Sheild/Aegis of the Ancients: :blackshield: = :whiteshield: :whiteshield:

The only question remaining for me.... 4 quests, 1 per relic, or 1 quest with 4 relics, 4 bosses? Hmmmm... What do you think?

The spell order definitely works.
Just_Will

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » July 4th, 2016, 5:48 pm

Four quests leading up to the final so one in each quest.

The elf first and the wizard last so the extra spell bonuses are separated and it makes sense for the wizard to wait longer because he's getting two extra spell sets. Also it won't mess up the order.

Letting the elf move with the highest two of three dice is another option to make up for only getting one extra spell set.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Just_Will » July 4th, 2016, 7:41 pm

So probably Elf, Dwarf, Barbarian then Wizard with a fifth culminating quest before moving on to AtOH and WoM.
Just_Will

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 28th, 2016, 12:55 am

Just_Will wrote:....I'm getting back into HQ and I've been brainstorming creative ways to balance this expansion, and I'm hoping some one with recent hands on experience could critique my thoughts/ideas. (I'm playing the US version HQ by the way) Here goes:...

...-create an 'underworld' dungeon for dead heroes to escape from, thereby reviving themselves...

I haven't played WoM, but you might be interested in certain related posts from this thread.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Wizards of Morcar