• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Treasure deck question.

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Wizards of Morcar Quest Pack.

Re: Treasure deck question.

Postby wallydubbs » November 15th, 2018, 1:53 pm

I just reprint all the cards from the Original and expansions. drathe made some cards from the European version that weren't included in America (such as a potion of speed, Holy Water, nothing, extra gold and another hazard) which I've added to my deck as well as poison and treasure hoard (from FH), magical aptitude, magic resistance, poison and magical trap (from WoM) and potion of air walk (From MotM) upping the total to 42. Some cards (such as Potion of Warmth, potion of Charm and potion of Elven Cloak of Passage won't be added until the appropriate quest packs.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby sajungzak » November 15th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Awesome. What I did is similar, but I balance the added good cards with bad ones, keeping the ratio the same.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 19th, 2018, 10:58 am

sajungzak wrote:Awesome. What I did is similar, but I balance the added good cards with bad ones, keeping the ratio the same.

I still think the ratio is the same even with 42 cards:
6 Wandering Monsters
5 Hazards (2 pits, 2 arrows, 1 spike pit)
2 Magical Traps (Fireburst)
3 Poisons (1 for BP, 2 for MP*)
1 Nothing
3 Potions of Healing
1 Potion of Defence
1 Potion of Strength
1 Heroic Brew
1 Potion of Speed
1 Potion of Air Walk
2 Potions of Magic Resistance (1 Fire, 1 Spell effects)
1 Potion of Magical Aptitude
1 Holy Water
1 Treasure Hoard (100 gold)
8 Gold (3 25 pieces, 1 10 pieces, 1 20 pieces, 2 15 pieces, 1 die roll/lose next turn)
2 Gems
2 Jewels
This brings a total of 16 Bad, 24 good, 1 neither (nothing), 1 both (gold/lose a turn).
Since the Original Game System had 24 (14 good, 10 bad), I think it's still pretty even, especially when you factor in what I've done with the mind points. If the wizard or Elf lose a Mind Point they need to discard 1 set of spells. If they have the Talisman of Lore and start with an extra mind point they get an extra set of spells.

When we first started a campaign the heroes were slightly dismayed to know that there were only 14 good and 10 bad cards in the treasure deck, so I felt this would boost their moral. Although Potion of Healing is generally the most sought after card in the deck, it does make it's appearance more appreciative.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby sajungzak » November 19th, 2018, 11:26 am

Nice. I like the mind point mechanics you're using. I assume they reset between quests. Does the hero choose the set to discard or does Zargon?

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » November 19th, 2018, 12:05 pm

sajungzak wrote:Nice. I like the mind point mechanics you're using. I assume they reset between quests. Does the hero choose the set to discard or does Zargon?

The hero gets to choose the set. If by chance he has already used a full set of spells he can choose those (but if one of those spells are still in use, such as Rock Skin or Cloak of Shadows, it will cause them to immediately end). Yes, the mind points replenish between quests.
Of course this only works in the North American version, as the Talisman of Lore provides 1 MP in NA, but 2 in Europe.
4 MP = 1 set of spells
5 MP = 2 sets of spells
6 MP = 3 Sets of spells
7 MP = 4 sets of spells

If by chance the Dwarf has the Talisman of Lore and increases his MP to 4, despite not being a spell caster it's not terribly inappropriate that he's able to learn Earth Spells with the aid of a magical artifact (However potions of Magical Aptitude, Wand of Magic and the Spell Ring will not work for him).

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby sajungzak » November 19th, 2018, 12:17 pm

Sounds like fun! Do you have extra copies of the base spell set or do they get to use spell sets from the expansions right away? I picked up some home brew spells from here that would work.

Rewards:
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » November 19th, 2018, 12:24 pm

I use the expansion set right away; there's plenty of spells to go around that way. Plus it's been reasonably stated that the 4 original elemental spells are more powerful then the Spells of Darkness, Detection and Protection, so I don't see this throwing the balance of the game off too drastically.
I understand a lot of people here use new home made spells to add to their deck and that's fine if everyone wants to play it that way. Me, personally, I don't like adding all these new spells as they're not necessarily HeroQuest canon and if you start adding all these new types of monsters it just starts to be a different game entirely.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » November 25th, 2018, 3:05 pm

I recently ordered sleeves for the cards! I was always against that because I like the feeling of the natural card in my hand but since not all people take care about other people items, I decided they need to be protected; I remember one day my uncle had to take note of a telephone number and he took the first paper he found on the table to write it on: it was the HQ instruction manual!!!!!
And I have to say that rigid sleeves can give new life to the cards. I brought some of the sleeves to my aunt because she has a HQ too with lot of battered cards (some even completely bended or with tape) and the sleeves make them now look new. Also considered that we can play with children at home, it is better to use extra protection.
Sleeves are useful to add new homemade cards and let them looks like originals, useful when the cards must be hidden, like the treasure decks.
So, definetely I converted myself to use the sleeves but they must be of the perfect size. If they are a couple of mm bigger than the cards, the final result is bad.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » November 25th, 2018, 3:19 pm

lestodante wrote:I recently ordered sleeves for the cards!

I'd much rather buy another set.

I keep a deck in the game and 1 at my PC for quick reference. Comes in handy once every few months. Used the duplicates for backs of some new cards. They are thicker but it's unnoticeable when on the top of the deck.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Wizards of Morcar