• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroes return full health between quests as series, right?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Against the Ogre Horde Quest Pack.

Re: Heroes return full health between quests as series, righ

Postby cornixt » November 29th, 2022, 2:50 pm

The quests weren't numbered, they only had an order by being on the next page of the booklet. On our first playing, we picked quests randomly, which we only found out wasn't a good idea when two of the quests were directly related. If the rulebook tells you to do the quests in order then we missed that part.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » November 29th, 2022, 3:03 pm

Quest numbering was added in the North American edition it's true (I keep forgetting). There's a natural progression and flow of difficulty with the order of quests in each book though, so that could have been another clue that they were not meant to just be played randomly... even if in fact some people did that.

Nice to know how others played it! It's good to remember that the NA and EU had different expectations. Like we never would have thought about attacking each other in the US edition but more of that sort of thing was possible and even encouraged (at least as training) in the European editions.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » September 17th, 2023, 4:12 pm

Jalapenotrellis wrote:Just looking for confirmation that if the quests are played as a series, the heroes/Champions still return to full health between quests as they get their spells back too. They just can't spend money or sell items found. My group didn't see a strong downside to not playing them as a series due to the 20 full heal potions they get between them. Seems like a no brainer, since they didn't change their order or spells prepared anyways for the last two expansions.

For me it depends on the situation. If the Heroes are stepping through a door, or ascending some stairs straight onto the next quest, then I allow absolutely no recovery of BP, MP or spells. I also allow no recovery in a harsh barren environment like the northern chaos wastes even if there is time between linked quests.

If there is a very limited time (approx 1-2 days) between quests in a resource rich environment (e.g. Empire), or a longer time in a resource poor environment (e.g. Badlands), then I allow limited recovery. This is very subjective and I will make a judgement call for each situation. Limited recovery is half of all BP, MP and used spells back, rounded down.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » September 19th, 2023, 3:38 am

cornixt wrote:The quests weren't numbered, they only had an order by being on the next page of the booklet. On our first playing, we picked quests randomly, which we only found out wasn't a good idea when two of the quests were directly related. If the rulebook tells you to do the quests in order then we missed that part.

Once you have played through “The Trial” you are ready to undertake the other Quests. These should be played through in the order they appear in the Quest Book.
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » October 27th, 2023, 2:42 am

The Admiral wrote:
Jalapenotrellis wrote:Just looking for confirmation that if the quests are played as a series, the heroes/Champions still return to full health between quests as they get their spells back too. They just can't spend money or sell items found. My group didn't see a strong downside to not playing them as a series due to the 20 full heal potions they get between them. Seems like a no brainer, since they didn't change their order or spells prepared anyways for the last two expansions.

For me it depends on the situation. If the Heroes are stepping through a door, or ascending some stairs straight onto the next quest, then I allow absolutely no recovery of BP, MP or spells. I also allow no recovery in a harsh barren environment like the northern chaos wastes even if there is time between linked quests.

If there is a very limited time (approx 1-2 days) between quests in a resource rich environment (e.g. Empire), or a longer time in a resource poor environment (e.g. Badlands), then I allow limited recovery. This is very subjective and I will make a judgement call for each situation. Limited recovery is half of all BP, MP and used spells back, rounded down.

You can do what you like but the Frozen Horror mentions nearby villages and paths back to town between quests. Even so the heroes could "camp out" between quests to heal. This pack is already so brutally difficult, preventing healing and shopping between quests (not just 9-10) in this and MOTM is just a recipe for a TPK, unless you are making other changes to bring the crushing difficulty down. At least ROTDM puts mid-quest shops in on occasion to give you (almost complete) healing and shopping.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » October 27th, 2023, 4:45 am

MotM is the closest we have come to a TPK since we started playing again with my discovery of the NA version in the early noughties. There was no recovery between directly linked quests (4-10 I think), but we didn't play Evil Wizard cards back then. The party went in strong with the Main Elf, 4 other standard heroes and the female elf as a special NPC, plus 15 henchmen. Everyone died except the elf on 2 BP's with a single healing potion left. Brutal but great fun!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » October 27th, 2023, 12:26 pm

Like I said, if you make adjustments to mitigate the difficulty, so be it. Playing MOTM or FH as written is way too hard on its own. It's an exercise in frustration, one based more on luck than skill. Granted, if you start those games with fully equipped heroes, that helps a lot but even the tweaks made for the remake MOTM doesn't help much (the Ogres encountered in group quests take only half as much time to kill, you get some more gold and the Elf gets a slight boost in quest 1 with 2 BP).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Previous